The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Looking to get into PvP

Sleeping_OwI
Sleeping_OwI
✭✭✭
PvE veteran here, mag Dragonknight main. Apart from some battlegrounds here and there to unlock Caltrops on characters, I haven't done any proper PvP really.

How do I get into PvP? What sets do I make? Preferrably just a few sets that would work well everywhere, not situational sets, as I dont wanna spend too much resources on PvP just yet.

I generally prefer the fast paced combat of battlegrounds where you're constantly in combat and revive quickly, not like cyrodiil or IC where you respawn miles away. Should I only make a no-CP build for BGs?

Which build do I choose? Which traits on which weapons, armor, jewelry? How much of each stat and resources do I want?

Any general tips I should know?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a PVP section to the forum that is probably the best place to ask.I wouldn't worry about gear, the coming update is such a giant rework that nobody really has a clue what you gear, skills, play styles or classes are even going to be relevant.

Cyrodiil is about group play. You don't respawn miles away unless your entire side gets wiped and you don't have camps. Group members will res one another. There are solo play styles for some ganking, scouting, solo resource capture etc but really it's about the group. As such the best way to get involved is to join a PvP guild. It's also where you'll get the best advice on gear, skills and techniques. It takes time to learn, because there is a lot of positioning, strategy and just developing a sense of what is going on. The best gear won't make a huge difference until some of that is learned, and also things like dodge rolling out of jabs and wrecking blow happens before your concious brain even notices 8)

IC is usually empty except for some big rolling zerg or two taking all the flags or doing the bosses or quest. If you aren't part of the Zerg you are just fodder. During the events it can be a lot of fun but you still want to be part of a group. The whole 1 v 3, 1 v 1 is elite myth is IMHO a scam by the hardcore IC players to get something to kill. If you are part of the rolling 20 man quest group they can't do anything but make childish comments about cowards 8)

Too many toons not enough time
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil during events has one of the most dynamic combat. When two armies clash together. Lady luck changes sides moment by moment. However, it is mostly during prime time during events.

You can look for builds with classic google methods. I would only advice look for something, which is familiar with your standard play style. You need different builds and so you cannot play same way. But transfering some of your habits from end PvE game is good and possible.
  • Tberg725
    Tberg725
    ✭✭✭
    Hey owl,

PVP is great I play both an love both but the 2 are definitely different worlds when it comes to builds. Are you on playstation? If so I wouldn’t mind giving you some pointers BUT the first step to anyone giving you some suggestions is what class do you plan on playing then we can get started from there!
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only Cyrodiil PvP during the corresponding events. I prefer simple builds, that are easy and cheap to assemble.
    So I went with Witchman, Witch-Knight, Oakensoul and 1pc Kra'gh (preferably in Heavy).
    All Divines, all Stam enchantments, Flame Glyph on the weapon. Tri Stat Food, because we get 100 stam, mag and health per ultimate point spent. That is HUGE.

Venomous Claw, Noxious Breath, Molten Whip, Flex, Coagulating Blood, Take Flight. For Flex I used Brawler, Cauterize or Turn Evil, for those pesky Gankers.🙈

The build depends on you timing with flight and whip. But it is a lot of fun in Cyro. 👍

Ah, and Plaguebreak is always an Option in Cyrodiil. 😈
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    Any general tips I should know?

[snip]

Not helpful...

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 6, 2022 6:21PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should ask your friends about their experiences and try to watch some video content and live streams before you decide to invest your time and money in the PvP part of this game. Some people may think my point of view as a PvP veteran and enthusiast is not helpful. But i still feel like new players deserve to know about the issues this part of the game has. Before it is too late and you get hooked by something that could ruin the rest of the game for you.

So instead of watching some boring tv, i recommend to find some streamers and content creators you like to watch and listen to, and get a picture of what playstyle would be interesting for you. After all there are a lot of different ways to play PvP, and i think watching and interacting with streamers is the best way to find out what you would like to start with.

The second best thing you can do is to join a PvP-guild and ask for help. And never forget to have fun :p