The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Raising the floor, lowering the ceiling, and accessibility

Ranger209
Ranger209
✭✭✭✭✭
There is really only one way to raise the floor and make things more accessible while lowering the ceiling to shrink the gap between high end dps players and low end dps players. That is to increase the base damage to all attacks/skills/spells, and reduce the scaling that raw stats (mag, stam, weapon damage, spell damage), and buffs do. Videos have been posted of players doing self buffed 3 million dummy parses and the same players with the same gear and stats doing twice the damage on the fully buffed raid test dummy. Twice as much if not more. Combine that with end game sets and the jacked up raw stats that end game players achieve from these sets that are inaccessible to most of the player base, and the power variance goes up to (3X) as much from low end to high end. if you really, honestly want to address those issues this is the only way.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    There is really only one way to raise the floor and make things more accessible while lowering the ceiling to shrink the gap between high end dps players and low end dps players. That is to increase the base damage to all attacks/skills/spells, and reduce the scaling that raw stats (mag, stam, weapon damage, spell damage), and buffs do. Videos have been posted of players doing self buffed 3 million dummy parses and the same players with the same gear and stats doing twice the damage on the fully buffed raid test dummy. Twice as much if not more. Combine that with end game sets and the jacked up raw stats that end game players achieve from these sets that are inaccessible to most of the player base, and the power variance goes up to (3X) as much from low end to high end. if you really, honestly want to address those issues this is the only way.

I think improving the viability of overland and low level dungeons sets will help close the gap as well. Sure, Julianos is accessible but it's not on the level of trial gear. Make the more accessible gear stronger and stop locking it behind high level content that mid and lower tier players can't easily access.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no idea why dont improve the players combat knowlege to the game?

Limit the experienced players make the game better? I dont think so.

Dont be lazy.
    Want better dsp and healing? Study and practice
    Want tank better? Must keep all game mechanics in mind, tank more and more

Please dont think any short cut.

No comment to dev, i dont wanna receive warning again.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    there are not many oppurtinities in the game to actually learn how to fight well. the person who just does quest stuff is just killing low hp monsters and with help alot of the time from npcs.
    the only time you get a chance to practice or discover weaving is a boss.
    Most people can't think of doing a boss until near 50.

I think players need some higher hp fights lower down in the game to learn.

and who would think weaving is a thing without reading the internet?

• Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should increase the damage abilities do. I want to one shot trash with one ability. Not AEO auto Ability.

Reason-fun
    I just want man flesh.
  • velt88_ESO
    velt88_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to raise the floor, they need to increase the damage of spammables in PvE.

It's the most basic way to play the game. I don't think light attack weaving is the difference between a good and bad player. Maybe the difference between a good and a great player.. but it's like what.. 10-20% damage difference?

That isn't where the skill floor is.

The skill floor is throwing your idea of what makes a cool character out the window and picking moves that are efficient at dealing damage, and managing the uptime on those abilities.

If you want regular old players to put up better numbers, raise the damage of the abilities they're spamming.

Honestly they need to rework how the class abilities interface with eachother anyways otherwise the best builds are always going to be the people who picked the most efficient dots and keep the highest uptime on them.

I wanna see more things like "Knocks enemy off balance" or "Does more damage to off balance enemies" or "Chills enemy" "Does more damage to Chilled enemies, but consumes the chill debuff" etc. So people can combo moves together instead of just rotating through dots.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only increase the damage of abilities you raise the floor and the ceiling. Increasing the base damage of things needs to happen along with reducing the scaling factor of stats to reduce the ceiling at the same time as raising the floor. If a skill does 6k tooltip right now with 3k weapon damage and 35k stat and does 15k damage with 6k weapon damage and 35k stat then when raising the base damage so that the skill has a 9k tool tip with 3k weapon damage and a 12k tool tip with 6k weapon damage. By reducing the scaling factor you can bring the floor and ceiling closer together.

The whole raid buff thing is another thing that needs to be looked at as well. Accessibility of those buffs, and ease of upkeep on them. There is a big divide there as well and that should be looked also.

These numbers are pulled out of a hat for illustration. No claim as to the accuracy of them, nor am I claiming that is exactly how they should scale. It just needs to be much tighter than it currently is if you want to raise the floor while lowering the ceiling.