The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Scrying skill line on main or backup character ?

xgoldelf
xgoldelf
I’m using my main character to get grandmaster crafter in the future so I need a lot of skill points and I see that scrying/excavation skill line needs a lot of skill points. Would you do this and find leads on your main character or it’s best to do on another character?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 23, 2022 4:46PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entirely up to you. Bear in mind that you can obtain 450+ skill points, by questing, exploring, running dungeons and pvp, so after a while you will have more skill points than you reasonably need.

If you are new to the game and struggling with having enough points, you can relegate the scrying task to a non-crafter character with no ill effects.
    PC-EU
  • xgoldelf
    xgoldelf
    Thank you for the great advice ! I’ll continue getting skill points then
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xgoldelf wrote: »
    I’m using my main character to get grandmaster crafter in the future so I need a lot of skill points and I see that scrying/excavation skill line needs a lot of skill points. Would you do this and find leads on your main character or it’s best to do on another character?

I did both on the same character and had skill points left over for actual combat skills. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it's possible to unlock everything on one character, but it's certainly possible to get enough skill points to have a good combat build (or a few of them) and all the other stuff like crafting skills, thieving, skrying etc. all on one character.

Whether you do that or not is up to you. I do think it makes sense to do antiquities on just 1 character because the leads are all account-wide, which means both that any character can find them for the 1 antiquarian to dig up and that once you've dug them up they're gone for all your characters, so it's tricky to do on multiple, but that can also be done. But I don't think it matters which character you use, it's up to you to decide which one would work best.
    Edited by Danikat on July 23, 2022 10:36PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I saw someone claim that you can have one character do the scrying and another do the digging. It is certainly possible to scry multiple leads, before excavating any of them, so it seems reasonable.

There is also the situation where you have just enough skill to find the site, but not enough to dig it up. The opposite presumably, too, but how would you know? It all suugests separate scryer and excavator should work.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    I think I saw someone claim that you can have one character do the scrying and another do the digging. It is certainly possible to scry multiple leads, before excavating any of them, so it seems reasonable.

Yes, I think I did this. At one point, I had two characters that were learned in the ways of Antiquities. One was better at it than the other.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm short of skill points on my grand master crafter having gotten pretty much every skill point in the game except for some PvP and some high isle at this point. You can run out but I have very weapon skill line fully unlocked and no room to add werewolf and vampire so it's pretty extreme by the point it becomes a problem.

The biggest consideration actually should be your PvP alliance if you plan to PvP. Your scryer will dig up the leaders to lancers and they end up being bound to that alliance.

You can level up a second scryer reasonable sensibly by doing the one scry/one dig trick.

Too many toons not enough time
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of leveling up the skill line on a second character. It's a worse grind than the first because there is no free purple lead per zone like there is on the first toon. But the perk of the light-up chests is worth it, at least for me.

And yes it does take a lot of skill points, but the armory system helps with that.

Happy digging!
    PS5/NA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have it on two. Probably will not do a third as I was reminded of the tedium leveling up to gold status was. I don't see the benefit of having it on all my characters, unlike something like the crafting abilities.