The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why can we only choose Novice or Expert for the daily?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
When I do the daily NPC ToT quest I can only choose to play the Novice or the Expert NPC. Why are we not allowed to choose Proficient? Is it meant to be this way?

0s9ruuvcmr9t.jpg
PCNA
  • Tuonra2
    Tuonra2
    ✭✭
    You're supposed to only be able to play your rank or one up or one down in the lore. And since there are 8 ranks, the 3 tiers of NPCs can serve as 'legitimate opponents' in the in-game rank system. Either they are your rank, they are higher or lower.

But then I think for gameplay reasons they enabled novice AI as always playable.

This is just my best guess tho.
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be willing to bet my left *** that it's (one of many) bug(s) with the circus show that is ToT release. You can't challenge Proficient ones as soon as you can challenge Expert NPCs, but only while you're on a quest.

Considering that only recently the Novices started actually counting towards the quest as well, it's even more suspicious that you can't do anything with the Proficient ones while on a quest.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skvysh wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet my left *** that it's (one of many) bug(s) with the circus show that is ToT release. You can't challenge Proficient ones as soon as you can challenge Expert NPCs, but only while you're on a quest.

Considering that only recently the Novices started actually counting towards the quest as well, it's even more suspicious that you can't do anything with the Proficient ones while on a quest.

Well, I could play against proficient NPCs as soon as I reached rank 5, and have done so many times for the daily quests. What rank are you and the OP? Maybe it's a bug that doesn't occur with everyone or something.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tesman85 wrote: »

Well, I could play against proficient NPCs as soon as I reached rank 5, and have done so many times for the daily quests. What rank are you and the OP? Maybe it's a bug that doesn't occur with everyone or something.

I'm rank 8 and I've played all the Founders. I play the Expert for the dailies but just couldn't figure out why I could choose all but Proficient.
    PCNA
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    Tesman85 wrote: »
    You can't challenge Proficient ones as soon as you can challenge Expert NPCs, but only while you're on a quest.

I.e. you can't do it after hitting rank 6 and being able to challenge Expert NPCs.