The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stop Mob "Tagging" at End of Leash!

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
ZOS, please stop mobs tagging us at or past the end of their leash. Fine if they go after us, but getting one hit in and then running back, without us being able to attack them, is a really annoying "feature"!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on July 26, 2022 1:27AM
PC
PS4/PS5
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you mean when for example a ranged NPC gets in its last attack while chasing you before immediately turning around to go run back to its regular spot? If so I agree.
    Options
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is a very petty thing for them to do.
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Yes, it is a very petty thing for them to do.

Of course!

I could handle fighting them, but for them to interrupt and then run away, with no ability to stop them, is VERY annoying.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever algorithms they use for "in-combat" and "out of combat" really need work from top to bottom. Mobs have never leashed properly and the stuck in combat bug has been present for a few years now in PvP.
    Options
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how possible it is with the way things are programmed, but I felt the way it should operate is once a mob reaches the limit of its range it should return. Instead of it being upon first interaction past its range limit.
    If it helps, I often lay down an aoe behind so that it just take the damage tick and returns asap.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
    Options
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. If they are going to fight, stay and fight. Or run away. Getting one hit in and then being invulnerable is pathetic coding and immersion breaking.
    I also drop a wall or some aoe so the adds get a tick from that and run away.
    Options
  • WinterHeart626
    WinterHeart626
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait. That’s a “feature”? I thought it was just an irritating glitch.
    I think maybe unleash the enemies, maybe even the world bosses? I wouldn’t mind running a monster parade through towns and into duels 😂
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or at the very least, update their dialogue, to make them say "Tag! You're it! :)", before running away again.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • Zenzuki
    Zenzuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such an irritating "feature".

And the worst part is the stuck in combat nonsense until they're fully reset.

I think it should be once they turn to reset, we should be dropped from combat immediately!
    I mean the enemy is running away at that point, so we ARE NOT IN COMBAT any longer.

This has been busted for so many years. I really wish they'd address and correct this cracked bit of code!
    Can Open...
    Worms EVERYWHERE!
    Options
  • Timorelle
    Timorelle
    ✭✭✭
    When this happens, a lot of the time I will chase them all the way back to their spawn point and then murder them. On principle.

Sure, it's out of my way and a wholly inefficient way to play, but danged if it isn't pettily satisfying!
    Options
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Options
    Staff Post
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait.. so this has moved to bug reports.. is that a ZOS admission that it is, in fact, a bug & not working as intended!?!

LOL !
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does it being a bug mean it will get fixed?

I won't hold my breath, but a few long term bugs have been fixed (such as the ladders in AD base in IC) so perhaps.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Sync01
    Sync01
    ✭✭✭
    Wait... is this ZOS way of saying that this is actually a bug, and we've just all been thinking it was designed this way for years? :open_mouth:
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That hit is when the mobs/server take notice they are past their leash. If the player turned around and did damage to them at that point, before they did damage to the player, the same thing would happen.
    Options
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    That hit is when the mobs/server take notice they are past their leash. If the player turned around and did damage to them at that point, before they did damage to the player, the same thing would happen.

Sure, but the player can't see the end of the leash. So you'd have to develop a feel on where to drop the AoE. Too early and it won't help.

And also, the irritating part is that it blocks certain actions, like using a Wayshrine or worse, interrupt you harvesting a node. Turning around still prevents you from doing what you were trying to do.

From a code point of view it's logical that stopping combat is in the combat code, but this particular part should be in the chase code - there's plenty of checks being done during a chase, like having to change direction, collission checks and so fort that can do a leash check and stop combat.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gnesnig wrote: »

Sure, but the player can't see the end of the leash. So you'd have to develop a feel on where to drop the AoE. Too early and it won't help.

And also, the irritating part is that it blocks certain actions, like using a Wayshrine or worse, interrupt you harvesting a node. Turning around still prevents you from doing what you were trying to do.

From a code point of view it's logical that stopping combat is in the combat code, but this particular part should be in the chase code - there's plenty of checks being done during a chase, like having to change direction, collission checks and so fort that can do a leash check and stop combat.

Maybe. I was trying to figure out how this was an issue to begin until you mentioned the wayshrine. In that rare situation, I tend to turn around and attack, and it is over. It may cost me a couple seconds of time at the worse.

I also run with the passive that reduces agro chance when mounted which may be another reason why I do not see a problem here. I suggest it for every character one regularly plays and it comes from the dark brotherhood.

Options
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I make the guards at Harlun's do laps as I siege from the grassy knoll.

Some of the leashes do need to be tightened, nobody is kiting mobs in zones over their level its not 2015.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I make the guards at Harlun's do laps as I siege from the grassy knoll.

Some of the leashes do need to be tightened, nobody is kiting mobs in zones over their level its not 2015.

The leashes were recently almost over tightened. I can hit a mob with an arrow, standing still, and it still runs back. That is annoying as well!

What I am disliking here is when they run at least a bit past their leash, to get off one final attack, one that you cannot attack them back from!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Maybe. I was trying to figure out how this was an issue to begin until you mentioned the wayshrine. In that rare situation, I tend to turn around and attack, and it is over. It may cost me a couple seconds of time at the worse.

I also run with the passive that reduces agro chance when mounted which may be another reason why I do not see a problem here. I suggest it for every character one regularly plays and it comes from the dark brotherhood.

Not always possible. Mobs happen, though it is still a decent idea!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • berunhieyes
    berunhieyes
    ✭✭✭

It's also an issue when trying to mount. Even worse, if you're in a group and one of your group members is targeted, it will keep you in combat as well.
    Options
  • Rakshu
    Rakshu
    ✭✭
    It's not a bug at all, it's their feature. Since one tamriel, every player lvl 1-50 can "do" every content, and because of that, mobs are not challenging in fight, but their only purpose is now to slow us down as much as possible. It's their marketing strategy - spending as much time in game as possible, no matter if this is enjoyable to us or not. I first noticed that with introducing of the Clockwork City - where hags instead of putting snare debuff on us, they pull us to them, wasting seconds of our movement. Respawning mobs in blackwood/deadlands, "in combat" "bug" all over tamriel etc. Get used to that, it will be only worst.

Or ... it's just a bug, many years old bug, and will be fixed in .... no time :smile:
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rakshu wrote: »
    It's not a bug at all, it's their feature. Since one tamriel, every player lvl 1-50 can "do" every content, and because of that, mobs are not challenging in fight, but their only purpose is now to slow us down as much as possible. It's their marketing strategy - spending as much time in game as possible, no matter if this is enjoyable to us or not. I first noticed that with introducing of the Clockwork City - where hags instead of putting snare debuff on us, they pull us to them, wasting seconds of our movement. Respawning mobs in blackwood/deadlands, "in combat" "bug" all over tamriel etc. Get used to that, it will be only worst.

Or ... it's just a bug, many years old bug, and will be fixed in .... no time :smile:

Well, ZOS moved it to the Bug Reports area....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Rakshu
    Rakshu
    ✭✭

It doesn't mean it's really a bug/bugs. They may not admit it. These bugs are here for so long ... Stuck in combat - the game knows that combat is over (enemy mob is cleansed of all debuffs you put on him and run back to his spot), yet you are still "in combat". And sometimes it takes more than this is some kind of server-side optimization (check every x seconds if someone is still in combat) (besides, this game is event-based, it should be done by this way).
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't mean it's really a bug/bugs. They may not admit it. These bugs are here for so long ... Stuck in combat - the game knows that combat is over (enemy mob is cleansed of all debuffs you put on him and run back to his spot), yet you are still "in combat". And sometimes it takes more than this is some kind of server-side optimization (check every x seconds if someone is still in combat) (besides, this game is event-based, it should be done by this way).

I will restate, they moved it and that is the only "official" position we have, so I will go with that. You would need to have evidence otherwise to claim something different.

It is true that being a "bug" doesn't mean it will ever get fixed of course!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options