The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Class Specialization Idea

Dracan_Fontom
Dracan_Fontom
✭✭✭✭✭
There has been a lot of talk about how certain classes should be balanced in order to cater to specific archetypes in the game. Personally, I see this idea as flawed, limiting, and outdated. However, upon further reflection, I do agree that class themes have frayed heavily over the years - partially due to the reworks of skills lines and how ZoS attempted to create clear role-based distinctions between them. Now, this got me thinking. What if players were allow to specialize their classes based on their preferred role? A type of Subclass if you would, akin to those from Dungeons and Dragons.

These subclasses could fulfill one or more purposes with the most important being giving additional class identity. Additionally, they could also enhance current class abilities by giving them role specific "morphs." Of course, they could also be standalone abilities with the addition of extra passives. Being a role-based subclass, players would only be able to choose one subclass unless they respect out.

Some Ideas for possible subclasses:

Nightblade:

Dark Knight: Tank Role.
This Subclass could provide additional survival tools for the nightblade to help let it survive through draining the strength of their enemies.

Some possible abilities could be a replacement for Siphoning Strikes which is an additional Constitution-like skill, but for their dominate resource. They could be called Siphon Magicka or Siphon Stamina with the base skill providing some small bonus. Maybe a weak HoT or an Armor Buff?

Another idea was for a change to Summon Shade. It could become a Tank ability which transfers a portion of damage from the Dark Knight to it - like the Spirit Guardian (Of course, it would have to be made so this skill doesn't overshadow the original.) The ability could then "reflect" damage back onto the attacker once every 2 seconds and providing Minor Maim to them.

The last idea I had was an alternative to the Grim Focus skill, however this version would proc after blocking X amounts of attacks. It could be a long standing buff, as it is now, which grants you additional resistances based on the skills - as opposed to damage as it is now. Once the threshold is reach, the Dark Knight could proc the ability and provide either a decent damage skill or a debuff to the target(s). My thoughts was for this ability to also become an AoE around the caster, like DK's Inhale.

Reaver Stamina DPS
This subclass could be centered around Stamina DPS and provide them with extra DoTs or debuffs based on ravaging the enemy.

The only idea I thought of was to change Path of Darkness into a skill which causes enemies to take additional damage from certain attacks - like physical or bleeding damage - and give stamina nightblades some group utility.

Templar:

Paladin: Tank Role
This subclass could be focused around Templar providing additional group utility through their skills. They could focus on providing defensive tools for their allies.

One idea could be to alter Sun Shield into a group shield similar to Barrier, but with a reduced potency based on the number of allies affected.

Another possibility might be a change to Blazing Spear which could become a large AoE buff which gives the party minor vitality with a synergy providing a group resistance buff.

Justiciar Stamina DPS
This subclass could provide stamina templars with abilities which support their other skills in sort of a combo.

They could introduce effects which procs based on the order of skills used. For example, using biting jabs on an enemy grants them a debuff which changes another ability. For example, if using Power of the Light after a use of Biting Jabs, it becomes Light of Justice which applies an addition DoT as well as providing a different debuff - one which came to mind was it giving a boost to crit chance for nine seconds instead of minor breach.

Cleric
This subclass is self explanatory. More healing tools - preferably additional buffs for the party.

Warden:

Beast Master: Tank Role
This subclass, albeit bizarre, could be one which uses the wildlife of the world to boost their defenses and grant buffs based on the spirit they call.

They could surround themselves in small shalks which provides them with additional resistances but also reflects melee damage due to the shalks biting at opponents.

They could also summon stranglers to pull enemies into a set location - as oppose to being pulled to the caster. This could also force an immobilize or even come with a DoT.

Ranger/Witchhunter: Stamina DPS
This subclass would use nature to their advantage in order to catch their foes off guard.

They could gain additional mobility tools such as calling upon a Bird Spirit to allow them to "soar" next to an enemy, knocking them down. Or they could channel a Ram Spirit to collide against their enemies. Possibility call upon a Spriggan which provides them with a Hot and if they got below a certain health percentage, provide a brief invisibility buff.

Frostmaster: Magicka DPS
This subclass would allow for ice magic to finally be better and everyone would probably like it.

Shalks could change into Ice Wraiths that pop up from the ground. Frozen Gate could become a single target "Frostbite" DoT which grows in powerful the longer it's active. They could even get a passive which increases Ice Damage by a percentage based on the duration the enemy has been affected by it.

Druid: Healer
This subclass would give us more pretty plant magic for crowd control, healing, and buffs.

A wall of vines which can block ranged attacks? Swarm could be change so the Druid tosses Poison Ivy at an enemy which causes them to become vulnerable or off balance. Falcon's Swiftness could be coverted into a wreath of flowers which boosts the healing of the Druid and gives allies near them a HoT.

I could list more idea like having a Lich subclass for Necromancer or a Juggernaut one for Dragonknight but these are just some of the ideas which could help with class identity and give extra life into them. It would also allow for everyone to play the role they wish for their class and retain some sort of thematic presence. At least I think so. Tell me what you think.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I appreciate your enthusiasm but this beyond the scope of ESO at this point j. the games lifespan. And above that, much of what you are suggesting can simply be accomplished with a third morph for skills.

Generally speaking, much of this is redundant and not entirely applicable here. The class role themes come together naturally when you pursue the ideal skills/morphs that are geared toward said role. A "dark knight" NB is already thematically in the game without the need of further reinforced distinctions via a subclass system that further modifies a NBs skill lines. Again, it would be reasonable, for the sake of balancing and tuning since you would have more direct control over how a "sub class" skill allotment is designed, but that is simply beyond not going to happen.

The best you can hope for is that zos MAYBE humors the idea of giving class skills a third morph.