The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crows and Pellin are too strong

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
✭✭✭✭✭
So strong that they literally make ToT too dependent on randomness. It makes no sense to continue when you or the opponent already have several red cards in three or four turns. Maybe I don't understand something?
PC/EU
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both will have certain cards nerfed next patch.
    PC NA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually generally win against crows. Now, Pelin I still struggle against. Glad they are nerfing it.
  • EnerG
    EnerG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly i can out win Crows easily if i play smart/certainrng, if my opponent has better pelin rng tho it can get dicey but not impossible.
  • Thyenn
    Thyenn
    Both can be outplayed relatively easily. Each deck has some cards that are very powerful. The worst offenders are Midnight hunt in the Red Eagle deck and that Hlaalu card which gives you 6 gold and costs 7.
    Edited by Thyenn on July 25, 2022 8:00PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EnerG wrote: »
    Honestly i can out win Crows easily if i play smart/certainrng, if my opponent has better pelin rng tho it can get dicey but not impossible.

I've noticed getting the Rally card (6 power / draw combo) will scare people into ceding.

Duke of Crows turns the game into Uno. No fun. Crows Patrol the Hlaalu deck....broken.

Rahjin is the troll deck. You buy a bewilderment card every turn and your opponent will give up.

Edited by katorga on July 25, 2022 9:10PM
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Rahjin is the troll deck. You buy a bewilderment card every turn and your opponent will give up.
    Easy counter to that. Just keep turning bewilderment into a writ via the treasury. Keeps removing them while strengthening your economy. They won't have money to buy cards because they're spending it all on the patron, so you then can just freely play and win the game.
  • koopdaville68
    koopdaville68
    ✭✭
    Easy counter to that. Just keep turning bewilderment into a writ via the treasury. Keeps removing them while strengthening your economy. They won't have money to buy cards because they're spending it all on the patron, so you then can just freely play and win the game.

Can you explain this please, not sure I understand but I'll try....

I do not remember but if you are dealt a bewilderment card as one of your 5 cards, is it removed to your cooldown pile automatically? Or do you play it yourself and get nothing? Then use the treasury to convert that bewilderment card into a 2 gold writ?

Do I have that correct? Thanks for the help!
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you explain this please, not sure I understand but I'll try....

I do not remember but if you are dealt a bewilderment card as one of your 5 cards, is it removed to your cooldown pile automatically? Or do you play it yourself and get nothing? Then use the treasury to convert that bewilderment card into a 2 gold writ?

Do I have that correct? Thanks for the help!

It does auto-play but then can still be exchanged in the treasury or destroyed using the Red Eagle deck.

• koopdaville68
    koopdaville68
    ✭✭
    [/quote]

It does auto-play but then can still be exchanged in the treasury or destroyed using the Red Eagle deck.

[/quote]

I do not have the red eagle deck unlocked yet. What would be my next best deck as an option?
  • Tuonra2
    Tuonra2
    ✭✭

[/quote]

I do not have the red eagle deck unlocked yet. What would be my next best deck as an option?[/quote]

Pelin. Hlaalu and psijic too. Just not crow.
    Rahjin is a 'combo-breaker'. Pelin is a deck of good cards to play 1 per turn. Hlaalu is close, but not as reliable and not as fast. Psijic can let you toss curses to not draw them.

Rahjin slows the game waay down. That tends to have the effect that there are more decisions and therefore more chance for skill to out-weigh RNG, letting the better player win.

But there is still a window before the rahjin player 'wrests control' of the game where power rushing will overwhelm them.

Good luck.
  • Rooatouille
    Rooatouille
    ✭✭
    I agree overall. I think the only card I think *needs* to be nerfed of these decks is Rally, but I'd like to see a change to the crow patron's mechanic. The crow cards are fine, powerful when combo'd, but generally not too overpowered in my opinion -- the only issue is the patron mechanic in that it either is never used until the very end to go for a "killing blow" by the player that's likely already ahead or it turns into a late game slug fest with each player just trying to get as much crow power as possible and outdo their opponent. Just doesn't seem very strategic in my experience.
  • Tuonra2
    Tuonra2
    ✭✭
    I agree overall. I think the only card I think *needs* to be nerfed of these decks is Rally, but I'd like to see a change to the crow patron's mechanic. The crow cards are fine, powerful when combo'd, but generally not too overpowered in my opinion -- the only issue is the patron mechanic in that it either is never used until the very end to go for a "killing blow" by the player that's likely already ahead or it turns into a late game slug fest with each player just trying to get as much crow power as possible and outdo their opponent. Just doesn't seem very strategic in my experience.

I keep a list of opponents and their deck preferences, mostly to know if I'm vs an Orgnum player. The one extra thing I note is if a player has what I call "poor crow discipline". That is, using the crow patron for anything less than an overwhelming push above 40. So I find crow patron currently to be very strategic, though rare in recent meta, knowing when it's unsafe to use or when you can force your opponent's hand is a key strategy in sealing games.

Additionally I tend to disagree that a crow player tends to be ahead by the time they play patron. If that is the case they waited too long to put pressure on or they were less ahead than you thought. Usually a good opponent will put pressure on you if they see you take high value crow cards, and often the patron is the 'easy way out' to tie on prestige but if that doesn't end the game you are stuck with gold and no power.