The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

An early look at Craglorn, patch 1.1

Phazzle
Phazzle
✭✭✭
read with images at ESO Traveler

Patch 1.1 is coming with the promise that it will improve gameplay and fix many of the bugs that players have had to endure since launch. This is an important patch for Zenimax and Bethesda because many players have vociferously expressed their frustration on the forums. I am hopeful that this patch will be the fix that players are hoping for, but reading through the patch also made me a little concerned. You can see the patch notes for yourself here. Here is an early look at 1.1:

Craglorn

I think that Craglorn will finally give players strong incentive to break out of their shells, join guilds, and start working together. Craglorn will have a 60-death limit will make the trials very difficult to complete in a pickup group. The patch notes even say, “You can use the group finder tool to locate others for your Trial group, but be warned: you’ll need excellent coordination and skill to take on the Trials.” The leaderboards are also a great incentive to find a good guild and excel. I am excited to see this kind of raid-level challenge. I was worried that ESO would be a “Mickey Mouse,” MMO but it looks like it will offer some real challenges, and some real rewards!

Dungeon Chest Changes

Dungeon chests will give loot to the entire party. This is just a no-brainer that will help parties get along better, and it is great for me since I can’t open those darn chests to save my life!

Population Underdog Bonus

I have yet to PvP but I am familiar with underdog bonuses from other games. This will mean that if you are in a weaker alliance during a campaign your group will get buffs that will even the odds. They tried this in WoW for some zones and I felt that it did not truly even the odds. There is no substitute for additional fingers and eyeballs. I hope ESO will be different.

Death Recap

This is just a cool little feature. When you die, you will know why and how so you can tweak your game. Thumbs up!

Fixes

There are bevies of fixes that will make gameplay smoother and more satisfying. Weapon animations will no longer freeze in mid-swing. The annoying glitch that plays sounds from former quests will be gone. Self-reviving now returns you to full health. They will also fix that irritating issue where you can’t use certain abilities after an attack. If only I had a gold piece for every time that one killed me!

Horses

I did not see anything about fixing the sprinting glitch so apparently you will still be able to sprint indefinitely, yay!

Missing

I did not see anything about the phasing problems, specifically. I hope individual quest fixes remove the phasing issues. I also didn’t see anything about hitting bosses into walls, which is a persistent problem for me. Perhaps the quest fixes will also address this.

Takeaways

This is really make or break for ESO. I, for one, am confident that the devs know what they are doing and that this patch will end most of the major bugs. It used to be that when you released a game on CD-ROMs back in the day everything had to be perfect. In the internet age, however, every game is a work in progress. MMOs are especially thorny since they are so large, in terms of both users and content. Games that fix their bugs, like WoW, succeed. Games that don’t, like Age of Conan, fail. We have yet to see where ESO will end up, but I am hopeful!
ESO Traveler
  1. Helping you get the most out of ESO!
  2. Veteran Ranking Guide
  3. Leveling Guide
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Craglorn has been fun so far but some of the content still needs a bit of adjustment.

I'm two levels below the mobs (ZOS only gave us VR9 templates and the mobs are all VR11+) and i was still able to solo some of the 4 player minimum mobs ...
    ;-)
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long have you been testing it on the PTS?
    PC EU
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Maotti_Nor Since last Friday ...
  • Phazzle
    Phazzle
    ✭✭✭
    @SirAndy. How is it looking from a bug/fix perspective?
    Edited by Phazzle on May 1, 2014 4:54AM
    ESO Traveler
    2. Veteran Ranking Guide
    3. Leveling Guide
  • Phazzle
    Phazzle
    ✭✭✭
    D'oh. Turns out that the horse sprinting glitch...isn't actually a glitch. It's by design! When your horse it tired it is easier to knock you off. Amended.
    ESO Traveler
    2. Veteran Ranking Guide
    3. Leveling Guide
  • Lanatireb17_ESO
    Lanatireb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    if phasing and botting wont be fixed, it is more break than make
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phazzle wrote: »

Missing

I did not see anything about the phasing problems, specifically. I hope individual quest fixes remove the phasing issues. I also didn’t see anything about hitting bosses into walls, which is a persistent problem for me. Perhaps the quest fixes will also address this.

Unfortunate. Until grouping is allowed in instances in which it is currently disabled, my wife and I will not maintain our subscription to this game.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Phazzle
    Phazzle
    ✭✭✭
    @GreySix I will stick around since I like the single-player content so much. Also, I can't imagine this is something that they wouldn't address but I wouldn't blame you for walking away if they don't.
    Edited by Phazzle on May 1, 2014 4:04PM
    ESO Traveler
    2. Veteran Ranking Guide
    3. Leveling Guide
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GreySix I will stick around since I like the single-player content so much. Also, I can't imagine that this is something that they wouldn't address.

From a single-player point of view, concur.

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't possess my patience, and telling her she's doing it wrong doesn't work (as any married man can attest).

If we were getting curb-stomped by a boss together, it would be different.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Death recap is very cool so far. You get a list of the last 5 or 6 attacks and the damage each did.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SirAndy. How is it looking from a bug/fix perspective?
    @Phazzle
    Which ones specifically?
  • Phazzle
    Phazzle
    ✭✭✭
    @SirAndy. Phasing problems with grouping is a major one for me.
    ESO Traveler
    2. Veteran Ranking Guide
    3. Leveling Guide
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SirAndy. Phasing problems with grouping is a major one for me.
    I haven't seen any problems with phasing and grouping but keep in mind that everyone on PTS right now starts with a fresh VR9 template, so there isn't really any difference between the characters in terms of basic experiences, which is what normally causes phasing issues.

I don't think the PTS test will yield any answers for you ...
    Edited by SirAndy on May 1, 2014 11:21PM