Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Does free ESO+ give access to earning companion quests?

EdmondDontes
EdmondDontes
✭✭✭✭✭
There has been some discussion about this in one of my guilds.

Are companions obtainable with only the free ESO+ ?

They are saying that Mirri and Bastion are not appearing where they would normally be for the quest starters for those trying to obtain the companions using only the free eso+.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on July 8, 2022 1:01AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The news article explicitly says they are excluded from the ESO+ free trial

Edit to add link: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/62459
    Edited by tmbrinks on July 7, 2022 6:43PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    66,110 achievement points
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Thanks for the link!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

seems kind of like a [snip] to explicitly exclude companions if you are only accessing blackwood with eso+, but you get access to antiquity system from greymoor

its not like they sell the companions separately from the chapter like they did for warden/necromancer classes either

[Edited for Abusive Language]
    Edited by Psiion on July 7, 2022 8:26PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    seems kind of like a [snip] to explicitly exclude companions if you are only accessing blackwood with eso+, but you get access to antiquity system from greymoor

its not like they sell the companions separately from the chapter like they did for warden/necromancer classes either

They can't [snip] you with a free trial. They don't owe you anything.

Edited by Psiion on July 7, 2022 8:26PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

how would the free trial ESO+ be different than the normal ESO+?

(it would be nice to clarify this, me personally ive bought every dlc and chapter so this doesnt affect me, but it would be nice to explain it to friends who do use the free eso+)
    Edited by Psiion on July 7, 2022 8:27PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

(it would be nice to clarify this, me personally ive bought every dlc and chapter so this doesnt affect me, but it would be nice to explain it to friends who do use the free eso+)

it's always been different in that the free trial doesn't get access to the crown store ESO+ discounts either.

They said this was the case in the news article, that's the explanation.
    Edited by Psiion on July 7, 2022 8:27PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty lame. It's never worked that way before. I suppose that Companions are less of a gameplay enhancer than ike antiquities, for example. So it's less p2w to exclude them. Still though, that's not great that they changed it in this way without saying anything in advance. People might have gotten it on sale if they had known.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on July 7, 2022 9:00PM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can see why they did that, I'd suggest y'all just sub for a month.

Theres still plenty of stuff you can get out of the free trial- the free house in Elsweyr for example.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that you can unlock them with a standard, paid, ESO+ subscription (without Chapter purchase).
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ask ZOS. They specified what the trial includes and what it doesn't. Since it's free, they're not ripping anybody off by not including everything that others pay for.

It always amazes me when people who get free stuff complain that it's not enough (not you specifically. In general). There's a whole list of what you get free this week. Enjoy it and don't worry about what you're not getting.

• etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They locked them out - but as said above a month sub lets you get the first two. Even with real ESO+ for a month they deliberately lock out scrying for new items and jewellery crafting if you drop it.

They want anyone who plays more than a play through the base story lines and some of the other content to get ESO+. Even their expensive options are actually set up to make you buy ESO+ later. One reason I always tell people to buy the dirt cheap base game when it's on sale and then ESO+ if they enjoy it. If you spend a fortune on all the bundled chapters, well you don't get the DLC to finish the story line so you can either buy that as well, or just not spend the fortune in the first place and go with the flow.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This does not surprise me as for many who do not sub or purchase DLCs the companions are a decent draw. Heck, if it is available via the DLC then they merely have to sub for a month if they really want them.