The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Remember…there are TWO ways to win

MJ202
MJ202
✭✭✭✭
To my angry XBOX opponent of today, who IM’d me to accuse me of cheating, you can win by being the first to exceed 40 prestige, or you can win by garnering the favor of all four patrons.

When it became apparent you were doing a far better job in accumulating prestige than I was, I shifted my focus to garnering the favor of the patrons. Yes, on that last hand played, there was no way I could overcome an 18-point deficit in prestige, to either win or keep the game going. However, I only had to garner the favor of one more patron. I imagine, with your 18-point lead, you assumed you had the win in the bag. Can I also assume this is the first time you lost a game to another player who garnered the favor of all four patrons? If you had taken the time to read the screen which popped up telling you why you lost, you might not have felt the need to send me the angry message you did.

I’ll admit I’m not anywhere close to being top tier in ToT, but I try to learn from my losses and do better the next time. It wasn’t cheating that brought about your defeat. It was a strategy which you apparently weren’t expecting or watching for.

Oh, and you are now blocked.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite matches are when players leave the Tithe card on the board while I have the favor of two patrons already. Almost a guaranteed win.

Also had an opponent watch me activate my 3rd patron, end my turn, and then didn't even try to use one of the patrons. So when my turn came back around, I played 1 coin, activated the Crow, and won.
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJ202 wrote: »
    To my angry XBOX opponent of today, who IM’d me to accuse me of cheating, you can win by being the first to exceed 40 prestige, or you can win by garnering the favor of all four patrons.

When it became apparent you were doing a far better job in accumulating prestige than I was, I shifted my focus to garnering the favor of the patrons. Yes, on that last hand played, there was no way I could overcome an 18-point deficit in prestige, to either win or keep the game going. However, I only had to garner the favor of one more patron. I imagine, with your 18-point lead, you assumed you had the win in the bag. Can I also assume this is the first time you lost a game to another player who garnered the favor of all four patrons? If you had taken the time to read the screen which popped up telling you why you lost, you might not have felt the need to send me the angry message you did.

I’ll admit I’m not anywhere close to being top tier in ToT, but I try to learn from my losses and do better the next time. It wasn’t cheating that brought about your defeat. It was a strategy which you apparently weren’t expecting or watching for.

Oh, and you are now blocked.

I cant imagine why they were not expecting or watching for this, unless its just an Xbox thing.

In the beginning on PC, people used to play the game as it was meant to be, but now?

Its just a race for the patrons and thats all. No real attention is paid to cards in the tavern.

I start each time hoping for a real game, but when I see my opponent flip Crow or Hlaalu within their first 3 hands, I know the direction in which we are heading.

As a result of this being the current meta, I have now taken to picking the Psijic deck at the start, even though I dont use those cards.

I know many say the Psijic deck has its uses, and perhaps for them it does, but for me its only use is to let it sit there while I refuse to use any agents of any kind, as sort of a stop to the endless back and forth patron switch flipping that most games have now become.
    Edited by Vulsahdaal on June 29, 2022 2:16PM
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    My favorite matches are when players leave the Tithe card on the board while I have the favor of two patrons already. Almost a guaranteed win.

Also had an opponent watch me activate my 3rd patron, end my turn, and then didn't even try to use one of the patrons. So when my turn came back around, I played 1 coin, activated the Crow, and won.

He may have just let you have it. Patron game is not my thing either, Id probably do the same.

I used to play it, but realized how boring it really is when I went up against a 'Patron' player who threw a 'Cat' deck in (sorry forgot the name, Rajiin or something like that) and we did nothing but fill up each others hands with bewilderment cards as we fought back and forth over that switch.

But as I mentioned above, now I tend to throw a Psijic deck in and actually look at cards in the tavern. But if my opponent is a true patron player, the difference is game styles will usually cause one of us to just give up and let the other guy win.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulsahdaal wrote: »

He may have just let you have it. Patron game is not my thing either, Id probably do the same.

I used to play it, but realized how boring it really is when I went up against a 'Patron' player who threw a 'Cat' deck in (sorry forgot the name, Rajiin or something like that) and we did nothing but fill up each others hands with bewilderment cards as we fought back and forth over that switch.

But as I mentioned above, now I tend to throw a Psijic deck in and actually look at cards in the tavern. But if my opponent is a true patron player, the difference is game styles will usually cause one of us to just give up and let the other guy win.

I don't really actively play the Patron game, but I am aware enough of what is happening to know when I can use them to my advantage.

Like, if you aren't using the Patrons you are really handicapping yourself. For example, if you have the patron in play that allows you to sacrifice a card for prestige, and you aren't using it on Contract Agents who will likely die next round anyways, you are wasting power. If you aren't using 2 power after drawing a really strong card to use the patron that throws the card to the top of your deck, you are potentially hurting yourself.

But also, if you don't see that your opponent can win by using a patron, and it is perfectly preventable, you are not going to really do too well in the game. Playing against a player like that, you can completely stumble into a Patron win without even trying.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I had a match where I only had 1 patron favored and was down considerably in Prestige. Then I pulled a Currency Exchange with a Tithe on the board and won :D

I had another match where I won in round 3 or 4 because my opponent wasn't paying attention to the patrons. He had just beat me in the match prior by getting to 80 first, so I was glad I didn't have to have another long, drawn out duel.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was ahead by about 27 prestige and about to win, but I wasn't paying enough attention and lost to my opponent having all 4 patrons. Lesson learned.
    PCNA
  • PinkApple
    PinkApple
    ✭✭✭
    Patron victories can be far more reliable than people think :)

Any game where you picked up or know you will pick up currency exchange you can essentially start playing with patron victory in mind. I have used early crow and plenty of similar patron powers that probably looked "bad" to my opponent, but is because I knew in two turns I would be buying the currency exchange that they cant afford, and every turn of patron pressure is meaningful.

Cards like Psijics insight or prophesy can also help you reveal tithe more consistently in matches you have determined you have no choice but to win through patrons!
    @PinkApple on NA servers Finished #1 NA Season 1 Finished #1 NA+EU Season 2 -- Check out my Tales of Tribute youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/PinkAppleYT
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Thought I’d share.