Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Backbar sets

Gorilla
Gorilla
✭✭✭
Is there a list of which sets one can use on back bar that still function whilst on front bar? Thanks.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 27, 2022 11:13PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be a very lengthy list.

In general, you are looking for sets that do something (i.e. have a timed component) that persists while you barswap.

For example: the Master’s bow gives you additional weapon damage against enemies affected by your Poison Arrow. Since Poison Arrow has a DoT that lasts several seconds, you can apply that and then barswap while still retaining the additional damage against that target. When Poison Arrow ends, swap back and reapply to regain the bonus.

Maelstrom weapons work similarly: cast Stampede (2-hander) or Volley (bow) or Wall of Elements (staff) so you retain the benefits of that arena set when you swap to your front bar. It is the same principle as using back-bar weapons to proc enchantments while you’re on your front bar.

Relequen’s, Kinras, Advancing Yokeda, and other stacking sets can work this way too, although pay attention to the length of time on the stacks - 5 seconds is often cutting it close if you are using more than 2-3 active skills at a time on your back bar and are trying to front-bar those sets.

Sets that don’t work for swapping like this are sets that do not have a timer/timed skill condition attached. For example, Deadly Strike’s 15% bonus does not apply on the back bar if you are using your front bar weapon(s) to fill the fifth piece. Its fifth piece only works in the moments that all five pieces are active. In some cases players make that sacrifice because they spend significantly less time on the back bar, so they can lay down DoTs and then swap to the front bar where Deadly will then affect those DoTs as soon as the front bar is active.

Same with sets like Bahsei’s Mania - the additional damage based on missing magicka doesn’t apply if you aren’t on the bar that has all five pieces active. Once you get to that bar, it will start working again.
    Edited by virtus753 on June 27, 2022 5:14PM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    That is an exceptional answer. Thanks so much for your help.

In summary, my takeaway is:

Bonuses will only carry over if they are "dynamic", e.g., there is one that can be activated whilst one is on the backbar.

"Static" bonus gear will not apply unless on the backbar.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Gorilla yes. A good visual example is a set that grants a health bonus on the 4th and 5th pieces like Plague Doctor. If you ran 3 jewelry and a 2H weapon on your front bar, when you flipped to the back bar you would see your health shrink substantially, then grow again once on your front bar. Which is why sets like Bahsei's need to be your armor/jewelry and not weapons. I'd also advise Relequen treated the same as that is a major source of damage for stamina characters.

A back bar set that will carry over is one like Elf Bane. Drop all fire DOTs on the back bar and the 5 second extension will carry over to the front bar as the 5th piece buff attaches to the skill when activated.

There are skills that will not carry over between bars as well. For instance sorcerer pets. If you only slot a pet on your front bar, it will be un-summoned if you flip to your back bar, so you have to slot the skill on both bars.
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    @Gorilla yes. A good visual example is a set that grants a health bonus on the 4th and 5th pieces like Plague Doctor. If you ran 3 jewelry and a 2H weapon on your front bar, when you flipped to the back bar you would see your health shrink substantially, then grow again once on your front bar. Which is why sets like Bahsei's need to be your armor/jewelry and not weapons. I'd also advise Relequen treated the same as that is a major source of damage for stamina characters.

A back bar set that will carry over is one like Elf Bane. Drop all fire DOTs on the back bar and the 5 second extension will carry over to the front bar as the 5th piece buff attaches to the skill when activated.

There are skills that will not carry over between bars as well. For instance sorcerer pets. If you only slot a pet on your front bar, it will be un-summoned if you flip to your back bar, so you have to slot the skill on both bars.

Thanks. @El_Borracho I've seen you PVP, and if fact we fight a lot, and you clearly know your *** plus fast af. Your NB in particular lol. Keep up the good work. Sometimes I wish factional players mixed up a bit more to get to know people because we're all playing a game we love.

Edited by Gorilla on July 7, 2022 3:40PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are a few sets you'd think would be back-barrable, but they aren't. Stygian is one such example. You lose the extra damage on bar swap. In general, if a set was made for or might be used by nightblades, beware of special rules. For example Clever Alchemist only activates in combat. As a cloaking nightblade you only initiate combat at the exact time of your gank. Therefore, Clever cannot be used to pre-buff gank opening damage, though it is still a popular set, even on nightblades, just not on pure gankers.

An example of a great back bar set is Rallying Cry. Generous duration (20s) and can be reactivated outside of combat and before it fully runs out, e.g. after 15 seconds. Possibly an overtuned set in today's meta, though not for large groups, but something that actually plays well, thank god. I wouldn't want them to change it.

Powerful Assault can reactivate before it's buff fully runs out. So if you have Vigor on your back bar, you'll just naturally refresh it. On the other hand, Seventh Legion was once popular, but one of it's buffs - the health regen - is no longer very useful in PvP (halved by Battle Spirit). However what really kills that set for me is that it does not refresh until it's fully run out. Seventh Legion is activated by your armor buff. If you recast that buff too early, Seventh does not refresh.

In general I think sets that have a 5 second duration or shorter, the likes of Spell Power Cure, Spell Strategist, Transmutation, the Master's destro, are not suitable as backbar weapons in PvP and probably not in PvE either. As a healer maybe, e.g. SPC and Transmutation - SPC is in fact a meta healer set - but not otherwise. The buffs are just too short in my opinion.

Sets that have surprised me positively include the previously mentioned arena weapons. The light / heavy attack buff from Maelstrom destro carries over to the other bar, for example. The Vateshran 2H explosion also carries over, which can be very useful in PvP.
    Edited by fred4 on July 3, 2022 5:12AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB