The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Shadowy disguise...What is its purpose now?

xiphactinus
xiphactinus
✭✭✭
I cannot even use this as a disengage anymore so what is its purpose other than to ensure my death? Guards are noticing me a mile off whilst I'm in stealth crouching and spamming cloak, How can they see me if I'm invisible? This ability since this patch has been rendered useless. Anyone else having issue with this?

Something about this game is just off after this patch!
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same...I don't have any metrics to back it up, but that is my "feel" since patch.
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    The patch didn't touched that skill, make a bug report and get your answer there
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Foxtrot39 wrote: »
    The patch didn't touched that skill
    Incorrect. From the 8.0.5 patch notes:

"Fixed an issue where many player-sourced Damage over Time effects could still miss invisible targets, rather than hitting them without removing the invisibility."

This ill-conceived "fix" applies to all invisibility, of which Shadowy Disguise is one source. It is therefore not in the Nightblade section of the patch notes. On paper it should have made you merely take damage from DOTs in Cloak, which is a nerf to nightblades, but usually not that bad. In practice it can end up breaking cloak in unexpected ways. ZOS refrained from making this fix for exactly this reason. Now they did, but they did a crap job of it and here we are. You're supposed to take damage, but that shouldn't remove the invisibility. In practice stuff happens that can interfere with your invisibility. Maybe not as much as in very old patches, but it does.

Technically that says player-sourced DOTs, not NPC-sourced. I have not tested around NPCs. Actually I have cloaked through some dungeons lately and that worked. I never really aggro town guards. Escaping from guards was always a bit problematic, though, requiring you to spam cloak a good few times and be fast to escape. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the above has made Cloak more unreliable in PvE as well.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure being cloaked and being invisible are different things. While cloak is active the dots don't affect you but if you don't cast it again after 3 seconds you'll start taking the damage even if you're still hidden by crouched invisibility.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on June 29, 2022 4:06AM
  • birdik
    birdik
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure being cloaked and being invisible are different things. While cloak is active the dots don't affect you but if you don't cast it again after 3 seconds you'll start taking the damage even if you're still hidden by crouched invisibility.

good morning! dots affect you now even in cloak
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, that was previous patches. DOTs now affect you in Cloak and, yes, Cloak and Invisibility ARE the same thing. Shadowy Disguise gives you Invisibility. Only Crouch is something else.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is bugged again (invisibility as a mechanics, not just NB's cloak).

Whenever it is in PvE or PvP, it is kinda useless in its current state. Unreliable in pretty much every content. And on top of that in PvP you have tons of counter-play, as in the last major update, they made invisibility more reliable, so it would not break if someone sneezes in your direction. So the counters were buffed.

Btw. Cloak used to have build-in negative effect removal in the past - so it would remove dots & other things that could break it. But it was used in an "unintended " way - like a cheap purge to remove negative effects in PvE, rather than an escape / engage tool. So later they replaced purge with DOT suppression. That way it worked as intended. But, there were some bugs that were not addressed, & some skills were ignoring cloak / invisibility. Last patch it seems that kinda finally hit the sweat spot - DOT was not removing cloak, but only AOE DOT could deal damage - which makes perfect sense.

With this update, it seam that all DOTS (even single target) will deal massive damage to you.

Personally, I think it is a bug as it would mean that you would have to be quite tanky, even on a glass-canon hit & run build. And this was the original design for the stealth-builds in ESO.
  • xiphactinus
    xiphactinus
    ✭✭✭
    I've submitted at ticket and I suppose that's all I can do.