The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Shield 🛡 Question

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hello all ,

Sometimes i see people using specific shields ingame which seem to absorb ALL damage…

I was wondering what shield it is exactly + what to do against it. The shield is clearly visible around the player + it is white.

Its not the psjic shield , its not light armor shield, its not empowered ward.
But what is it exactly

People using it sometimes in battle and when i mass attack it , they seem to stay at same health level …

Can anyone know what i am talking about ? Is it class specific ? More importantly ..,

Is it useless attacking someone when that shield is active ?

Thank you !!

Best Answers

• EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    EF321 wrote: »
    Templar bubble?

Cant seem to find “templar bubble”
    What is the exact name ?

Is it another name ?
    When looking online at pictures it might be the one indeed

This Templar ability:
    https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/living-dark
    Answer ✓
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    @eMKa8 this skill is good. Maybe not a good as you think, but good.
    It has 0.5s cooldown, so max procs is 2/s, assuming getting hit by channeling ability, 2-3 opponents or very delayed skills after light attack.
    Total healing is on par with resolving vigor if you hit all the ticks. If less, well, then it's like radiating regen.
    If you get fast 2sec burst, then it heals barely anything.
    If 2-3 attacks were all dot applications, you won't heal out of dot damage.

It doesn't make you immortal. Just a weird healing spell that requires opponents to attack you to heal.
    If you seen some truly immortal builds, that's most likely permablocks.
    What can damage through block? Ground AoEs. DoTs, but they are purgeable. Um, that's about it really.

Wow thank you !! Good expalantion if i can be honest!

Is haunting curse considered a dot ? In other words , will they heal after the 3,5 second bomb?

Yes, but I wouldn't be too worried about that. It will be one tick, and you would be able to stack burst in short frame when it goes off, so HoT won't save him much.
    Is burning status effect going to heal them after second and third tick ?

That's dot, will not trigger.
    What if they are using another shield next to this skill. Does the shield protect them , while healing up with attacks against them?

Shields are effectively just extra hitpoints that you get temporarily. So yeah sure they will stack, just as if you casted healing over time ability and a shield after that, you would be able to heal your real health while opponent damages your shield.
    What is permablocking exactly? Is it just blocking in general and shielding up? How much dmg can i mitigate when using block ? As it 50%?

It refers to the builds that can block for very long time (and not getting drained off resources) or even indefinitely.
    First of all, ANY block (except blocking with Gaze mythic) mitigates 50%. But after that, it also mitigates your block mitigation, which stacks additively and caps at 80%.
    Shield or Frost staff would give you 20% via passives, so it would be (1-(1-50%)*(1-20%)) = 60% damage mitigated.
    Now if you stack block mitigation up high to 80%, it will be (1-(1-50%)*(1-80%)) = 90% damage mitigated.

Sources of block mitigation? Immovable skill, heavy armor bonuses grant 1% per piece, bound armaments (very short), shield passives give some additional mitigation for ranged, CP stars. There is also a set for that, but in CP you can hit cap without sets fairly easily.
    Anyway , is the solution to killing them bursting them?

That depends on what they do. If they are permablock, true solution is to kill all their allies first. If that's HoT stacking, then to burst. Shield stacking.. either coordinated burst or try to outsustain & catch a moment when the shields are off.
    Answer ✓
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar bubble?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of shields that may be involved and possibly even stacking multiple shields and refreshing them. To try to answer your question we would need to know the class for starters. This can be seen when targeting the individual.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Templar bubble?

What is the exact name ?

Is it another name ?

• Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    White shield is defnitely from the skill cleave. It's a 2h weapon.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Templar bubble?

What is the exact name ?

Is it another name ?

This Templar ability:
    https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/living-dark

Omg !!! Just read the skill description! What on earth can you do against a shield like that ?

They cant get hurt for 10 seconds ???? And in the meantime they heal?! And they can also just attack themselves ?

I now understand how difficult it is to overce these shields…

Seriously what can i do against that skill ?
    Seems unfair or am i seeing this wrong ?
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has 0.5s cooldown, so max procs is 2/s, assuming getting hit by channeling ability, 2-3 opponents or very delayed skills after light attack.
    Total healing is on par with resolving vigor if you hit all the ticks. If less, well, then it's like radiating regen.

It doesn't make you immortal. Just a weird healing spell that requires opponents to attack you to heal.
    What can damage through block? Ground AoEs. DoTs, but they are purgeable. Um, that's about it really.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭

Is haunting curse considered a dot ? In other words , will they heal after the 3,5 second bomb?

What if they are using another shield next to this skill. Does the shield protect them , while healing up with attacks against them?

What is permablocking exactly? Is it just blocking in general and shielding up? How much dmg can i mitigate when using block ? As it 50%?
    How effective would it be if i block / constantly apply dmg shields and have a psjic order ability slotted giving me an extra shield ?

Apparantly it has been nerfed the skill to 2k max health per second. What did people had before ?

• eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but I wouldn't be too worried about that. It will be one tick, and you would be able to stack burst in short frame when it goes off, so HoT won't save him much.

Shields are effectively just extra hitpoints that you get temporarily. So yeah sure they will stack, just as if you casted healing over time ability and a shield after that, you would be able to heal your real health while opponent damages your shield.

It refers to the builds that can block for very long time (and not getting drained off resources) or even indefinitely.
    First of all, ANY block (except blocking with Gaze mythic) mitigates 50%. But after that, it also mitigates your block mitigation, which stacks additively and caps at 80%.
    Shield or Frost staff would give you 20% via passives, so it would be (1-(1-50%)*(1-20%)) = 60% damage mitigated.
    Now if you stack block mitigation up high to 80%, it will be (1-(1-50%)*(1-80%)) = 90% damage mitigated.

Sources of block mitigation? Immovable skill, heavy armor bonuses grant 1% per piece, bound armaments (very short), shield passives give some additional mitigation for ranged, CP stars. There is also a set for that, but in CP you can hit cap without sets fairly easily.

That depends on what they do. If they are permablock, true solution is to kill all their allies first. If that's HoT stacking, then to burst. Shield stacking.. either coordinated burst or try to outsustain & catch a moment when the shields are off.

Wow permablock can go to 90% mitigation …
    Is there any damage that cant be mitigated with block ?

Thanks for the information by the way.
    Is there any way i can notice a player who permablocks ? Can you permablock while running around?
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wow permablock can go to 90% mitigation …
    Is there any damage that cant be mitigated with block ?

Thanks for the information by the way.
    Is there any way i can notice a player who permablocks ? Can you permablock while running around?

There's a 'shield' effect which appears in front of the character. There's some bugs in game currently which do allow players to run around with block I believe but in general most people drop block when they are running however some will still be able to move quite quickly whilst blocking so just 'walk around' with block up.

Certain skills will go through block (mainly some stuns like streak/fossilise/hysteria). Additionally Oblivion damage isn't mitigated by anything so goes through block and armour.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)