The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pvp Stuns

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hi 👋

I was wondering

If you are rooted … then you can only get out of that when double tapping your way out of there right (roll dodging)
Or can you also break free to get free again?

Same for stuns … you can only break free out of them right? What happens if you try to roll dodge out of them ? Do you then still get stuck + lose stamina trying ?

Might come across as a sillly question however i do notice that sometimes in pvp i get stunned and then i cant get out of it for 2 or 3 seconds! I cant even breakfree (even when having enough stamina still). Is there anything in pvp that might cause you to get stunned for a couple of seconds without you being able to break free ?!?

If you are stunned … can you then get instantly unstunned when drinking a specific potion that gives you 9seconds if imlunity to stuns? In other words , does drinking that potion give you some effect as breaking free ? Or is it to late when already being stunned to have that immunity ?
Edited by Psiion on June 17, 2022 10:57PM

Best Answers

• OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope… can’t break a stun by rolling. I don’t think you’d lose stamina for trying… it just wouldn’t work. Don’t think you can pop a potion either— yes it’s too late. There is a skill or two that applies to this question… one morph of the psijic ulti for example, but I believe all the things that can work DURING stun say so explicitly.

Can’t break a root for breaking free either. Now… I’m on console, so this might not be true for you, but for me if I were to repeatedly try to break free when I was only rooted I do believe my stamina would go down because I’m basically bashing over and over again.

If you’re stunned and can’t get free for a couple seconds you’re probably just having some lag. Also consider though that perhaps even though you think you have enough stam to get free perhaps an enemy has poisoned you with a cost increase.
    Answer ✓
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    If you are rooted … then you can only get out of that when double tapping your way out of there right (roll dodging)
    You could also use Race Against Time, Shuffle, Forward Momentum, or Phantasmal Escape instead of dodging, or wear Snow Treaders to make it impossible to be rooted or snared in the first place. I don't recommend Snow Treaders, though, as I find them buggy, causing weird effects, like not being able to activate your skills sometimes. Basically if the game engine erroneously thinks your are sprinting, your skill bar gets locked out. Snow Treaders allow sprinting outside of combat, but not in combat. This feature seems to cause the game to screw up sometimes.
    Or can you also break free to get free again?
    No.
    Same for stuns … you can only break free out of them right?
    You can also use Slippery CP and the game will break you free automatically every 21 seconds, e.g. every third time you get stunned, if someone is stunning you like clockwork. After breaking free from a stun, you get 7 seconds stun immunity. A potion can give you 10.4 seconds. There are some things that will inhibit stuns. The heavy armor skill that no one uses (too short / expensive). Slotting Radiant Magelight will passively inhibit some stuns. Wearing Zoal will counter-stun melee attackers after you break free.
    What happens if you try to roll dodge out of them ? Do you then still get stuck + lose stamina trying ?
    Not sure. I think it just doesn't work and you are not charged.
    Might come across as a sillly question however i do notice that sometimes in pvp i get stunned and then i cant get out of it for 2 or 3 seconds! I cant even breakfree (even when having enough stamina still). Is there anything in pvp that might cause you to get stunned for a couple of seconds without you being able to break free ?!?
    Getting stunned inside of a dodge roll can be nasty as it may take you 1.5 to 2 seconds to break free. Other than that, bugs, lag, overestimating your stamina... I've had some inexplicable instances, but short of recording footage there's often doubt about stamina levels in particular. In theory you could be hit with a resource poison that might increase break free cost, though I'm not sure. Resource poisons, in general, were nerfed ages ago and have not been popular since, to my knowledge.
    If you are stunned … can you then get instantly unstunned when drinking a specific potion that gives you 9seconds if imlunity to stuns?
    No. It is too late. As someone else mentioned, the Precognition (Psijic) ultimate should work, but who would double bar that to have it available at all times or use it in an Oakensoul build for that matter.

Best bet is probably Slippery CP. One problem, and actually the most likely one, is that if you get zerged by multiple players, who may each stun you in quick succession. AFAIK you only get the immunity after breaking free, not while you break free. If you get severely zerged down and many players stun you, you tend to lose control over your character. I guess that could also just be a sign of the game engine unable to cope. In addition you have ultimates that stun you and that have that 400ms delay, as ultimates do. If you get dawnbreakered or leaped, 2 ults that include a stun, you may observe the damage to your character coming in two stages, as they execute you afterwards. The execute is unavoidable, because of the way ultimates are timed. It may seem like you could break free, but in reality you don't have the time, because the execute happens 600ms after the ultimate hitting you.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Answer ✓
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Seeing as this thread is discussing PvP specifically, we have moved it to the PvP Combat & Skills section as it is better fit there.
    Staff Post
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fred , you have outdone yourself again. Are you member of any pvp oriented guilds ? Might want to join that one too