The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I am confused about PvP builds

brylars
brylars
✭✭✭
Can a PvE build holds its own in a PvP scenario? I am considering entering Cyrodiil more often but I am a little put out by the suggestions for builds being so different. What am I looking for when doing a build for a Sorc PvPer? Is it that different from non-PvP builds?
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    brylars wrote: »
    Can a PvE build holds its own in a PvP scenario? I am considering entering Cyrodiil more often but I am a little put out by the suggestions for builds being so different. What am I looking for when doing a build for a Sorc PvPer? Is it that different from non-PvP builds?

No a pve build cannot hold its own in pvp. Pve builds are about sustaining damage over time but you can't sustain damage on someone on a target that won't let you do that. Unlike pve bosses and mobs, players are intelligent and will react, they'll line of sight you, cc you mid pve rotation, hell they'll even set a ballista down in your face and shoot you with it.

Sustained damage in pvp doesn't work, it's all about burst, you need damage that can kill someone quickly in a short period(burst damage), otherwise they'll just heal back to full or tank your damage and burst you through it.

And yes, what you need for a sorc pvper is drastically different from non-pvp builds. You can't go an inferno front bar/lightning staff back bar set up. You will die. You need a resto back bar with heals accompanying it or a sword or shield back bar. You can't load your back bar with damage abilities, you need some type of defense.

Basically, PVP and PVE play like completely different games, your knowledge from pve isn't going to do jack in PVP. Especially considering battle spirit gimps 55% of the pve damage you'd be dealing
    Edited by xDeusEJRx on June 20, 2022 6:41PM
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    @brylars check out @MalcolM24

https://eso-pvp-builds.com/magsorc/

His builds/gameplay will help you get started and some insight. I’m pretty sure he’s a magsorc main, and a very good at it, but has other classes as well. There’s other people with good sites too, but his info helped the most for me on starting pvp on my magsorc way back when, mainly cause he has a lot gameplay footage on YouTube.

Just remember the gear alone won’t always give you the best results, there’s a lot of other factors like teamwork and positioning, resource management, burst combo, etc that are better to work on instead of constantly changing builds when starting out. When I first started PVPing I wore spinners and fortified brass on magblade for nearly a year until I understood my class in pvp - then I began theorycrafting my own builds. Hope this helps and best of luck

Edit: also duel a lot and make some pvp friends

Edited by Udrath on June 20, 2022 7:37PM
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks guys
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The really big difference between a PvE build and a PvP build is the requirement to build for crit resist in PvP. Crit's start at +50% damage and some builds stack it up above +100%. If you go in with light or medium armor with all divines on your gear when you get hit by a high damage ability or set proc that critically strikes you'll take upwards of 15-20K damage. And that's from just one ability in a burst combo that will include 3-4 of them hitting you in one global cooldown, in other words you'll die before you can even begin to react.
    My stam sorc always has 2600 crit resist, gets up to 21K physical resist when buffed, has 31K health and still 20% of the time I get ganked by a high crit damage Caluurion NB build they're able to kill me before I can break the initial stun . Without the crit resist it would be every single time.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on June 20, 2022 10:27PM
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    The really big difference between a PvE build and a PvP build is the requirement to build for crit resist in PvP. Crit's start at +50% damage and some builds stack it up above +100%. If you go in with light or medium armor with all divines on your gear when you get hit by a high damage ability or set proc that critically strikes you'll take upwards of 15-20K damage. And that's from just one ability in a burst combo that will include 3-4 of them hitting you in one global cooldown, in other words you'll die before you can even begin to react.
    My stam sorc always has 2600 crit resist, gets up to 21K physical resist when buffed, has 31K health and still 20% of the time I get ganked by a high crit damage Caluurion NB build they're able to kill me before I can break the initial stun . Without the crit resist it would be every single time.

Yeah I have gone in just for fun into Cyrodiil and been ambushed and stunned, so before I could recover I was down HP like 90%. Is there a set or skill that helps mitigate the stuns?
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    @brylars At the moment gank blades are doing insane damage, and even with 30k hp and high resistances I am getting cut down. Don’t sweat it if it happens, only thing to really do is try and be proactive with detect pots - it’ll eventually get nerfed. Ravenwatch you won’t have to worry so much about gank blades, but the server has a prime time usually 6pm-11pm eastern.
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    So in other words nothing can be done and it's best to catch people before they attack. So preemptive strike or fast retreat.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    @brylars if you can break free ASAP, roll dodge once to avoid caluuarion (has a 1 second cast time) and streak away. If it’s one these juiced up oakensoul gankers though it’s really hard to survive without lots of HP, like 33k or more because they can kill you in less than a second, and everything hits you while your stunned for that half second.

Also learn the sound and ques of skills like merciless bow and incap because they can be dodged. Dragon flight can be blocked, etc, run away from someone with corrosive armor up.
    Edited by Udrath on June 21, 2022 1:22AM
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So in other words nothing can be done and it's best to catch people before they attack. So preemptive strike or fast retreat.

Something can. Block or dodge. You can hold block indefinitely, but dodge - you need to time, so you need to detect gank attempt and perfectly anticipate the gank, but dodge is also a perfect counter and allows to go counter-offensive immediately, while you want to block for at least several seconds while caluurions and hardest hitters still didn't discharge. You want to apply burst heals together with block.

Also you can stack HP higher than burst range. OK some NBs will gank you even at 35k if you don't break immediately and block caluurion+selene hit (which can happen due to lag), but generally at ~32k you should be safe as long as you break stun and block fast. Can use CP star for automatic stun break if you don't trust your reflexes.

^ all this ofc doesn't mean you'll kill NB, just don't die instantly. You will still need to be more dangerous after you heal back, you can't win just holding block and healing, it eats through resources fast. You need to stabilize and go counter-offensive. Often NB will cloak and you'll need detection pots, or detection skill, or at least direct damage AoE skills (direct hits put invis off, but that's like the least reliable way generally). Or if NB was really well prepared, would jump to the shadow somewhere near, but, for example, higher or behind the wall. Nothing you can do with that :)
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to note is that your strategy for skill loadout and use is very different. As mentioned before, in PvE you are loading up on lots of skills to use in rotation to keep sustained damage going. In PvP most of your bar will be filled with utilities, defenses, and buffs/debuffs, some of which will be situational.

-Heals are an absolute necessity. Personally I always liked to have at least one HoT and one burst heal but strategies can vary and if you can stack additional sources of HoTs then it can be worth it.

-Mobility can be your biggest defensive and offensive tool. Snare removals are vital in most cases as getting slowed to a crawl is usually a death sentence. Other sources of speed increases are very valuable too.

-Stuns are important for wearing down enemies, granting openings for heavy hitters, and getting people off your back for just a second while you regroup

-Armor buffs, weapon/spell damage buffs, and enemy debuffs are vital.

Burst damage usually comes from a combo (as opposed to a rotation) where you setup a series of buffs and debuffs followed by many damaging effects that can go off in a short time. Sets can be a part of this combo too but it can be tricky to keep track of those extra timers when you are just starting. It may be tempting to throw loads of attacks on your bar but in reality you can often get away with just a few. In some cases just two or three is all you need or want. Something that hits hard with a delay, a spammable main source of pressure damage, and maybe some kind of execute if your class and build allows for it along with an offensive ultimate.

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to go against the grain of what everyone else is telling you. I recommend going into Cyrodiil in your PVE gear and modifying some of your skills to make you a bit stronger than you are in PVE. Once in the zone, group up with a group of 8+ players. Make sure you can communicate with the group and stay on the crown.

As you play you figure out what you are needing for your build and over time you will get better. I have friends that play sorce and none of them use heavy gear; they all use light and medium because of STREAK. Most of the sorc I know use one pet the healing one. It isn't needed and I know a few that don't use pet but most do because that heal from the pet is so strong and well worth having for damage and that heal. It also is a distraction that can help you escape.

I recommend grouping up if you come from Trial/dungeon type of game play from PVE, it will feel a bit similar as you are in group working towards the same goal as a team. Don't get upset if you die a lot. That is where experience and skill will be gained. You need to learn your character and play style in PVP to be an effective player.

If you don't have 28K health, adjust your attributes to get 28K+ health.
    If you don't use the ability to provide major resolve now, you need to add it to your backbar and keep that up at all times.
    If you don't know streak, go learn it. It is the life saver for Sorc.

As for damage skills you need to play around and find what works for you. And have fun while in Cyrodiil.

Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on June 21, 2022 1:11PM
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I have gone in just for fun into Cyrodiil and been ambushed and stunned, so before I could recover I was down HP like 90%. Is there a set or skill that helps mitigate the stuns?

There is a morph of magelight that will keep you from getting stunned when someone hits you with a melee attack out of stealth, but won't stop stuns that are sourced from abilities like incap, dawnbreaker or surprise attack. The reactive armor set from IC is also very good at saving you when you get ganked, reducing incoming damage by 33% for 5 seconds after getting stunned with a 20 second cooldown.
    There is also a CP star that gives you an instant breakfree every 20 seconds that can help save you when someone sneak attacks you.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on June 21, 2022 5:06PM