The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tackling ballgroups - players should only benefit from 2 sources of Rapid Regeneration max

Ratzkifal
Ratzkifal
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Healing is an important part of PvE and self-healing is also absolutely needed for PvP. I do not think Rapid Regeneration needs to get its value nerfed and in small scale situations the skill is absolutely fine.
However,
everyone stacking Rapid Regeneration is probably the most important part of ballgroups, which are unhealthy for performance and unfun to fight even if you yourself are in another ballgroup. Of course there are other healing skills as well, but those need to be placed on the ground so people need to stand in them, which is at least one weakness. Rapid Regeneration is on the target and cannot be removed. Players can be pulled out of ground-based healing, they cannot be pulled out of 5 instances of Rapid Regen and adding any type of effect that negates healing will have unwanted ripple effects for the meta.

If we limit the amount of Rapid Regenerations players can benefit from to 2, then PvE will be completely unaffected as trials typically have only 2 healers, and PvP will still have some benefit to having a group healer, but it will be not nearly as obnoxious anymore to fight a group where everyone has rapid regen slotted.

We've already tried many things to reduce the effectiveness of ballgroups (zerg killer sets, abilities scaling with the amount of nearby enemies, sets dedicated to solo play), but whatever else we've tried, ballgroups were always able to take advantage of it. This won't kill ballgroups, but I don't think we need to do that anyway. Ballgroups just need to be tone down a little. I don't see why this proposal wouldn't work other than maybe some technical reason. At least I cannot think of one.

Thoughts?
This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • TheGeordieKitten
    100% agree the Regeneration stacking is an issue but I think they should change it so that Regeneration as a buff stacks, BUT only the strongest heal of the lot, should tick every second. Once the strongest Regeneration ends the second strongest Regeneration buff that still has duration should take over and so on.

Basically, the Regeneration heal itself shouldn't stack, but a "buff" will so the weaker ones can take over (if they still have duration) when the stronger one ends. Or at least that's my thought on it.

aka - The Tyne Tart - Big Tick Energy - Lidl Quality Gameplay
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a healer in dungeons. It would affect a lot of PVE in a negative way if Radiant Regeneration is nerfed. It works in mobile fights. It works over time. It helps me keep track of the player as I see the beams. It is my workhorse heal.

PS5/NA
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a healer in dungeons. It would affect a lot of PVE in a negative way if Radiant Regeneration is nerfed. It works in mobile fights. It works over time. It helps me keep track of the player as I see the beams. It is my workhorse heal.

I agree. I'm playing a healer in PvE myself. My suggestion wouldn't change anything for you unless more than two people in your dungeon groups are using Rapid/Radiant Regeneration.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    We've already tried many things to reduce the effectiveness of ballgroups (zerg killer sets, abilities scaling with the amount of nearby enemies, sets dedicated to solo play), but whatever else we've tried, ballgroups were always able to take advantage of it. This won't kill ballgroups, but I don't think we need to do that anyway. Ballgroups just need to be tone down a little. I don't see why this proposal wouldn't work other than maybe some technical reason. At least I cannot think of one.

They will then just optimize around the next clever alternative. Ballgroups are the Borg. Every time you find a weakness they all transform into a new configuration.

The reality is simple. They are groups of 12 players precisely co-ordinated in gear and skills, playing together as a team. They are always going to beat less co-ordinated groups unless hugely out numbered and no amount of game tweaking is going to change this, because they will always be better at using the change.

Even if the game changed to the point that a small tight group in one place was no longer a win they'd still be like this, because they would be the ones running in a precision circle of the optimum radius to space out, co-ordinating their skills and ultimate timings.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree the Regeneration stacking is an issue but I think they should change it so that Regeneration as a buff stacks, BUT only the strongest heal of the lot, should tick every second. Once the strongest Regeneration ends the second strongest Regeneration buff that still has duration should take over and so on.

Basically, the Regeneration heal itself shouldn't stack, but a "buff" will so the weaker ones can take over (if they still have duration) when the stronger one ends. Or at least that's my thought on it.

Not sure I agree with this. This would definitely affect PvE trials negatively because both healers in trials are using Regeneration and some trials definitely need that healing because certain mechanics force players to spread out and leave the healing circles.
    I do like your suggestion of letting someone receive two regeneration "buffs" so that by the time the first heal runs out the second heal might still be going. Ideally this is how I would want it to work with the 3rd instance of Regeneration applied to you, but I am not sure this won't affect performance. That's why I would want to have Regeneration stack up to a maximum of 2 rather than making it act like a named effect.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They will then just optimize around the next clever alternative. Ballgroups are the Borg. Every time you find a weakness they all transform into a new configuration.

The reality is simple. They are groups of 12 players precisely co-ordinated in gear and skills, playing together as a team. They are always going to beat less co-ordinated groups unless hugely out numbered and no amount of game tweaking is going to change this, because they will always be better at using the change.

Even if the game changed to the point that a small tight group in one place was no longer a win they'd still be like this, because they would be the ones running in a precision circle of the optimum radius to space out, co-ordinating their skills and ultimate timings.

Maybe. But does that mean we should just roll over and stop trying?
    I think in the current meta, any change that only affects ballgroups negatively and leaves everyone else unaffected is already a change for the better.
    It's one thing to achieve victory through superior coordination. It's another to win simply due to achieving invincibility from stacking a skill that autotargets and has persistent healing - I wouldn't exactly call that skillful gameplay.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any organized raid is much more than just the use of one skill. Among other things you can also expect more or less optimized builds (sets and CP) focused on supporting group play. This is true for both small scale groups as well as 12 man groups.

The simplest way to leveling the battlefield is in my experience, to play non-proc non-cp. Organized raids are still good there, but they loose some of their advantage.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LarsS wrote: »
    Any organized raid is much more than just the use of one skill. Among other things you can also expect more or less optimized builds (sets and CP) focused on supporting group play. This is true for both small scale groups as well as 12 man groups.

The simplest way to leveling the battlefield is in my experience, to play non-proc non-cp. Organized raids are still good there, but they loose some of their advantage.

You are right that the issues are a lot worse in CP proc campaigns, but I don't think we should ignore the issues in these campaigns.
    My biggest gripe with ballgroups running Regeneration is that even if you use chains to pull someone out of the ballgroup, they will still not die because they have so many heals over time still on them that whatever damage you and your small scale group can dish out, that target is still going to survive unless you somehow manage to line it all up perfectly for a one-shot. Once the builds have been created and everyone knows their purpose, ballgroups do not even need to coordinate that well to be effective. All they gotta do is stay on crown, wait for the group lead to say "go" and then everyone uses destruction ult and streamrolls over anyone who cannot get out of the way or gets pulled in. They do not even need to focus-fire on anyone to kill them like smaller groups need to.
    I do think that it's valid that if you create a ball of destructive death, you are entitled to kill anyone who comes too close to your group, but I do not think you should be allowed to be practically invincible while doing so even after you have been pulled out of your group. Ballgroups ought to eventually die if you pick out one member at a time and they don't have a respawn camp setup nearby because at that point it's the other players that have better coordination if they can pull that off repeatedly without letting the ballgroup recover.
    Stacking Rapid/Radiating Regeneration beyond two instances is in the way of that.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE (only) healer here. I've no problem limiting RR so a recipient can have a max of two going at the same time from different healers.

Not qualified at all to talk PvP healing.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rapid Regeneration from a balance perspective probably needs a nerf but, it's used so much that I doubt doing it would go over well so ...

My question would be, what size engagements are you trying to produce in Cyrodiil?

Yeah, if you cut Rapid Regeneration stacking you will favor more coordinated and smaller groups.

The thing is, while ball groups can be larger than small groups they are also smaller than other formations such as zergs.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing is an important part of PvE and self-healing is also absolutely needed for PvP. I do not think Rapid Regeneration needs to get its value nerfed and in small scale situations the skill is absolutely fine.
    However,
    everyone stacking Rapid Regeneration is probably the most important part of ballgroups, which are unhealthy for performance and unfun to fight even if you yourself are in another ballgroup. Of course there are other healing skills as well, but those need to be placed on the ground so people need to stand in them, which is at least one weakness. Rapid Regeneration is on the target and cannot be removed. Players can be pulled out of ground-based healing, they cannot be pulled out of 5 instances of Rapid Regen and adding any type of effect that negates healing will have unwanted ripple effects for the meta.

If we limit the amount of Rapid Regenerations players can benefit from to 2, then PvE will be completely unaffected as trials typically have only 2 healers, and PvP will still have some benefit to having a group healer, but it will be not nearly as obnoxious anymore to fight a group where everyone has rapid regen slotted.

Thoughts?

Everything Zos has tried to curb ball groups has only worked out for the benefit of ballgroups and to the detriment of other players. IMO, they need to stop focusing on how to HURT ball groups performance and focus in on providing a better counter for ballgroups in general.

Sets like Hrothgar's Chill, Plague Break, and Dark Convergence were all designed to try to "bust" ball groups by increasing an individual player's ability to kill a bigger group, but what we've seen is that ballgroups make use of these sets to cause more problems in PVP (i.e., the frustration people feel with dark convergence spam).

What they need to do here is NOT change how the healing for ballgroups work, but they need to make a better counter for killing people in close spaces, and I really think they are overlooking the importance/utility of siege in this respect. IMO, they should make purpose-built sets that are only built to augment player performance while using siege. For instance, if they made sets that dramatically increased the damage and area of affect for meatbags or coldharbor ballistas, players can suddenly deploy these instruments to greater effect. And its balanced because as soon as those players using the siege get off of the siege, they become entirely useless, so its basically risk/reward.

This would help curb ball groups because ball groups tend to fight in enclosed spaces and they are only effective if they're able to stick together. So creating a way to create insane/concentrated damage over time in the area they are operating in is necessary in order to break up the ball group (or to overwhelm their heals).

IMO, this is the way that they need to approach ballgroups because coordinated groups will always have an advantage over uncoordinated pug groups or solo players. Give them a fighting chance but do it in a way that comes with severe limitations (i.e., through siege).
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe. But does that mean we should just roll over and stop trying?

If you want to actually cap healing rate then you need to cap healing rate not play with skills IMHO. In other words instead of playing whackamole with skills you have to make the PVP zones have a hard heal cap per toon, say a percentage of their max health. In a sense that is the root of the problem. You can't overbuff someone, or overdebuff someone because buff/debuffs don't stack, but you can stack heals until they come out of your ears. PvP turns the heal rate down (and down) but because it stacks near infinitely doesn't fix anything.

Which is a long way of explaining I sort of agree with you but instead of picking out one skill you need to make all PvP heal and regen work more like buffs - either over time or burst with cooldown. Then the ball groups would instead have to generate more different buffs so there would be more combat prayer and the like going out but it might reduce the overall problem.
    Edited by etchedpixels on June 21, 2022 2:13PM
    Too many toons not enough time