The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the population cap in Cyrodiil too low?

EdmondDontes
EdmondDontes
✭✭✭✭✭
In my opinion having the population cap in cyrodiil at or about 80/faction is just way too low. I think the minimum cap should be 125/faction and in reality it should be 250/faction at least.

Having such low population caps creates all kinds of problems. And now that the server reworking has been partially completed queue times are very high during prime time. As in DC queue times during prime time are 80+ most days and even higher on the weekends now. That means more people want to play and can't because the pop cap is so ridiculously low.

I know these super low pop caps correlate to performance issues and it's an effort to keep performance playable, but hey, why not just invest in more hardware to support the zone? PvP players pay to play just like everyone else and should get a zone that is playable with higher numbers of people. ...you know, closer to how things used to be a few years ago.
Edited by EdmondDontes on May 26, 2022 12:33PM

Is the population cap in Cyrodiil too low? 64 votes

Yes
89%
drzycki_ESOGedericHolycannoliRDMyers65b14_ESOKayshaIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOYakidafiAixyjcasini222ub17_ESOSFxxKANExxSorakaStihlReignRhaveinReverbLeifEricksonmaxjapankjad11mumblerCelephantsylvius_BornasfinmoAhk1lleezThe_Lex 57 votes
No
10%
WitchyWarriorKalitasIngenonWoppaBoemsmackinhippiesxDeusEJRxAmottica 7 votes
  • HonestLoverr
    HonestLoverr
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes and No.

Yes, many people would like to play and queues could be fixed by either raising population cap or making a second campaign with same ruleset like GH. Also low population just doesn't fit cyrodiil, it just needs more players to have fights going on all over the place again with such a huge map size.

No, because big fights at the low population cap we got now already cause more than enough crashes, sound to break, stutter, rubberbanding, and so on. Especially when hammer is around things get out of control really fast and crashes so many players at once, it literally wipes out the whole queue time for everyone because of masses of people getting kicked out of the game in that moments. The hardware update was clearly not enough. Crashing, lag, performance, etc. will quickly return to its old broken state, if ZOS decides to raise player cap again without solving hammer crashes and at spots where faction stacks cause crashes too.

PS: remove hammer! :)
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The first reason of low cap is a technical issue... Zos can't manage too many players with the actual code, that's why they're refunding it and decreased population cap.
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes but...

Still need some more performance improvements before raising it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    new server hardware helped, but now they need to finish the code rearchitecting to make it you know more optimized, then i could see them raising caps again
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    The server performance has led to so many changes to this game over the last eight years. I can understand that they would be hesitant to upgrade the servers due to the return-on-investment questions. Who would have thought that an online game would be this strong after 5 years in development and 8 years in release. To try to solve the performance issues, they eliminated those poor defenseless deer, then reduced pop caps gradually over the years. When the pop caps were reduced to present day levels, (80’ish), that introduced the dominance of ball groups, then they introduced proc sets to counter, then all the balancing nerfs and buffs. All of these changes occurred to put a Band-Aid on the root cause of everything – the 12-15 year old servers, and the software code to match that “ancient” technology.

With the upgrade in servers, the performance improvements were night and day. Veteran players I haven’t seen in months and years are back to play this amazing game. But I would not want to go backwards by increasing the pop caps to fast. ZOS should do this in increments to see where the “sweet spot” is of server technology/capacity vs concurrent users that produces near zero performance degradation.

Raising the pop caps solves so many issues mentioned on these forums - if the servers can handle it. I would suggest that we start with an incremental increase to 150 per faction. That’s approximately double the current numbers. But the bottom line – YES, ZOS should raise the ceiling. As a community. we are able to provide solid feedback on how the game performs. And it appears that ZOS is listening.

• xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not in current state of game until I think the servers are stable enough to support it, they should not be changed cause what do we gain by nuking the servers more than they already have been? (outside of PC na, since they supposedly are in a better state)
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes it is too low.

Currently? No, it sadly isn't. As the game can't perform when you're all by yourself somewhere, let alone when 20 people are in the vicinity.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.

Raise the cap and get rid of the hammer while we're at it.

The problem is everyone flocks to the one populated server that allows CP, and the hammer encourages ball zergs.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    With performance on the upswing it is definitely time to increase the population caps again.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The answer to the question is relevant to a number of factors with our desire being merely one of them and not the most important one.

The one thing we can all agree on concerning ESO is that server performance in Cyrodiil has been poor for several years. Clearly the more players in the campaign lead to a greater server load. So increasing the cap significantly without improving server performance to handle it would be an amazingly short-sighted change.

With the hardware changes and the server-side code rework Zenimax will hopefully be able to increase the cap. Until performance is improved on all platforms and servers increasing the cap should not be considered.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Amottica wrote: »
    The answer to the question is relevant to a number of factors with our desire being merely one of them and not the most important one.

The one thing we can all agree on concerning ESO is that server performance in Cyrodiil has been poor for several years. Clearly the more players in the campaign lead to a greater server load. So increasing the cap significantly without improving server performance to handle it would be an amazingly short-sighted change.

With the hardware changes and the server-side code rework Zenimax will hopefully be able to increase the cap. Until performance is improved on all platforms and servers increasing the cap should not be considered.

I agree. It's totally up to ZOS to fix their game so it's playable just as it was only a couple/few years ago. They get away with providing a degraded product because so many are willing to accept things as they are now instead of demanding we get what we have been paying for all these years.

It's all up to ZOS to get their act together and provide a working product. I agree. It's way past time to fix their game and raise the population caps back to a reasonable level again.

As a paying customer since shortly after Beta I'm not OK with paying the same price for a continually degraded product. I'll never understand how some people are perfectly happy to pay the same price for getting less than the original game had to offer.

It's way past time for ZOS to get it together and raise the population caps back to a reasonable minimum number/faction.

Edited by EdmondDontes on May 27, 2022 9:21PM
  • ob1ken0bi
    ob1ken0bi
    ✭✭✭
    While they are at it, alliance lock every campaign. :smile:
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ob1ken0bi wrote: »

No, gray host exists for that sole reason. Why ruin other's fun when you already have a campaign for that?
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    ob1ken0bi wrote: »

No, gray host exists for that sole reason. Why ruin other's fun when you already have a campaign for that?

Maybe they want everyone to have the pain of waiting in a boring queue to do anything in-game.

Dungeon? Queue.
    BGs? Queue.
    Alliance War? Queue.

On patch day there will probably even be a queue to login...

And the sad part is that faction lock has and always mean nothing to players that actually PvP. I know for certain that most players in Cyro on all sides in PC NA don't care to defend anything and just run in a blob on Greyhost. With population cap apparently lowered in Cyro, faction lock is even more out of place and has less benefit than players that support it think.
  • Kalitas
    Kalitas
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No. Not until they can prove that they can keep performance decent while raising the player cap.
    @Kevin-G | Ajani | Wü-Tang Clan
  • Ahk1lleez
    Ahk1lleez
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, the pop cap can be raised if they get rid of the hammer and implement a mechanic that forces people to spread across the map instead of fighting in huge battles in specific areas causing performance issues regardless of what hardware you're on. I'd personally like to see a nearly invincible Dragon spawn instead of the hammer which levels keep walls and kills those in the courtyards/surrounding grounds on a random basis. Keeps all over the map would be burning and contested as a result. I would suggest implementing the mechanic which spreads the fights across the map first though before raising the population cap so as to judge whether performance does indeed improve.

If the hammer remains, then the pop cap is right where it needs to be. Otherwise raising it will cause worse performance issues as a result when the zergs are fighting each other over it.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Where does that 80 per faction number come from? Is this a guess or official from ZOS?
    I know these super low pop caps correlate to performance issues and it's an effort to keep performance playable.
    I voted yes, even though at current performance levels I do not think ZOS should raise the cap. Don't know about NA, but on PC EU (Gray Host), no.
    but hey, why not just invest in more hardware to support the zone?
    If only it was that simple. I genuinely believe that it's not. They have to optimize their server software.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB