Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Correct Minion Version?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I notice that my version of minion says 3.0.11 in the app, but 3.0.5 is the one available on their site. My instance is a bit wonky. I am not sure how I got the difference.

Any ideas? Should I clear out what I have and go back to 3.0.5? (PC/Windows 64 bit)
PC
PS4/PS5
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3.0.5 has older version of Log4j which is not safe to use (google "log4j vulnerability" if you want to read about it) so it's better to use the latest version.

For me Windows installer version is really buggy as well - "detecting ESO addons" part takes ages, window can't be resumed after minimizing etc.
    I tried Java version and it's way better - loading is quicker, issue with minimizing is gone. Give it a try. You don't have to uninstall your current version - all config files are shared between installer/java version in %userprofile%/.minion folder.
    Edited by perfiction on April 21, 2022 7:24AM
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don`t know where you got the 3.0.11 but that would kind of worry me. I looked all around and the latest is the 3.0.5 is all I could find. There is an announcement about a Beta but I couldn`t find it.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    3.0.5 is the one at the website and it updates itsself after installed (at first run it shows an update popup to you!) to higher versions.So stop to worry and spreading false concerns here please!

+you did not check the website properly: https://minion.mmoui.com/?log
    Here you see 3.0.11 is the most current version.

I often wonder why you cannot find that yourself and rather like to worry and spread false "virus" or whatever information? You only seem to look at the top of websites and do not check for "changelog", "info", "Help", "faq", "howto", "log", and so on to inform yourself.
    Is it because of reading makes no fun? So why do you post forum threads then where you need to read again? ;)

Don't get me wrong please but imho it got nothing to do with me being a developer and you maybe not! It's just plain searching an reading as I did nothing else and knew nothing else about the versioning than you: I have found this "log" website today the first time, by simply looking at the minion website and searhcing for any ressource of "changes".

Just start your own Minion installed version, click the "gear" icon at the top right and check the settings and version there + the info about what versions the included libraries like log4j and others are.
    If you have installed Minion yourself, what I think you did, you would have seen the updater showing you the version 3.0.6 and 3.0.11 are available and yu need to manually click on "Accept" or "Update". So this should have been a clear info that you the version is the correct one, right?

Edited by Baertram on April 24, 2022 11:47AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    perfiction wrote: »
    3.0.5 has older version of Log4j which is not safe to use (google "log4j vulnerability" if you want to read about it) so it's better to use the latest version.

For me Windows installer is really buggy as well - "detecting ESO addons" part takes ages, window can't be resumed after minimizing etc.
    I tried Java version and it's way better - loading is quicker, issue with minimizing is gone. Give it a try. You don't have to uninstall your current version - all config files are shared between installer/java version in %userprofile%/.minion folder.

I
    Baertram wrote: »
    3.0.5 is the one at the website and it updates itsself after installed (at first run it shows an update popup to you!) to higher versions.So stop to worry and spreading false concerns here please!

+you did not check the website properly: https://minion.mmoui.com/?log
    Here you see 3.0.11 is the most current version.

I often wonder why you cannot find that yourself and rather like to worry and spread false "virus" or whatever information? You only seem to look at the top of websites and do not check for "changelog", "info", "Help", "faq", "howto", "log", and so on to inform yourself.
    Is it because of reading makes no fun? So why do you post forum threads then where you need to read again? ;)

Don't get me wrong please but imho it got nothing to do with me being a developer and you maybe not! It's just plain searching an reading as I did nothing else and knew nothing else about the versioning than you: I have found this "log" website today the first time, by simply looking at the minion website and searhcing for any ressource of "changes".

Just start your own Minion installed version, click the "gear" icon at the top right and check the settings and version there + the info about what versions the included libraries like log4j and others are.
    If you have installed Minion yourself, what I think you did, you would have seen the updater showing you the version 3.0.6 and 3.0.11 are available and yu need to manually click on "Accept" or "Update". So this should have been a clear info that you the version is the correct one, right?

Isn't this a bit paranoid? Their site should note this behavior. Or better yet, post the current updated version! It is very unclear as it is now.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exatly should be paranoid there?
    Isn't it more paranoid that you make your mind about that and check the website (but only half of it) instead of believing the version inside the actual tool you have just downloaded from the same website? :grey_question:

The website actually only shows version 3 there:
    HVSbXuQ.png

And the extra website "log" shows ALL versions, including the most up 2 date one:
    SUb9i4V.png

They actually post the "log" there which shows the versioning, at the website? It's not hidden. It's a changelog, which is common for software. And it also is very common that you download an installer which self-updates and thus the version increments? About 90% of our-days software does that, including Antivirus software. If you call that paranoid you should not touch your PC :|

If you find they should post it by other means send them a message via their contact form/disclaimer admin site email at best. Perhaps they are able to improve it somehow.

Edited by Baertram on April 26, 2022 9:02PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What exatly should be paranoid there?
    Isn't it more paranoid that you make your mind about that and check the website (but only half of it) instead of believing the version inside the actual tool you have just downloaded from the same website? :grey_question:

The website actually only shows version 3 there:
    HVSbXuQ.png

And the extra website "log" shows ALL versions, including the most up 2 date one:
    SUb9i4V.png

They actually post the "log" there which shows the versioning, at the website? It's not hidden. It's a changelog, which is common for software. And it also is very common that you download an installer which self-updates and thus the version increments? About 90% of our-days software does that, including Antivirus software. If you call that paranoid you should not touch your PC :|

If you find they should post it by other means send them a message via their contact form/disclaimer admin site email at best. Perhaps they are able to improve it somehow.

The website doesn't have the latest version, nor did I see a clear note about it on the download page. Perhaps it was there but not well placed, [snip]

They should make versions much clearer, and have the true latest version available for download.

[edited for minor baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 8, 2022 5:09PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should make versions much clearer, and have the true latest version available for download.

As I said: Write to them and ask for improvement instead of posting somewhere in unrelated forums about it :#

Having the true latest version for download is not always possible.
    You will have the same for dowloading an actual browser e.g.
    https://www.google.com/intl/de_de/chrome/
    You download the "installer" and the installer auto updates for you. That's how modern software does it.
    There is no actual version at the website directly.
    It's held "generic" for maintenance and easy update reasons.

If yu need to know the actual version you can see it somewhere but not at a glance as often the versioning and changelog will be passed in automatically to the websites and thus need a sub.website like the "log"/"changelog" to show it.
    [snip]
    [snip]

Well, enjoy the software, and provide feedback at the software's website. This is the only way you can achieve something here, if you really see the need. Please tell Google too for their Chrome browser then as there is no easy link to the version, or text I have seen at a glance. Thanks

[edited for minor baiting & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 8, 2022 5:10PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

​After removing some unnecessary back and forth from this thread, we would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, civil, and constructive. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here​.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please tell Google too for their Chrome browser then as there is no easy link to the version, or text I have seen at a glance. Thanks

I am not sure what involvement Chrome is being blamed for. The HTML code either has a link or it does not. Chrome may have issues, but displaying things like this is not one of them.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please tell Google too for their Chrome browser then as there is no easy link to the version, or text I have seen at a glance. Thanks

I am not sure what involvement Chrome is being blamed for. The HTML code either has a link or it does not. Chrome may have issues, but displaying things like this is not one of them.

Well you do not seem to undertand then how software is developed, as I said above.
    I had linked you the example but unfortunately the screenshot was removed by ZOs.

It was just an example as the Chrome browser is neither showing the info you had asked for at the website, only within the software. So it's about the same that Minion does and that's why I have asked you to tell Google too that their software version is missing at the website please, if this really bugs you.
    As I said, 1 example, not sure which browser you are using.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well you do not seem to undertand then how software is developed, as I said above.
    I had linked you the example but unfortunately the screenshot was removed by ZOs.

It was just an example as the Chrome browser is neither showing the info you had asked for at the website, only within the software. So it's about the same that Minion does and that's why I have asked you to tell Google too that their software version is missing at the website please, if this really bugs you.
    As I said, 1 example, not sure which browser you are using.

The site shows different information depending on the browser you are using? Why would that be the case? I use Chrome, but Edge now uses the Chrome engine as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forget it, please.
    You actually do not understand it and I think you do not even want to understand.
    I tried my best to explain and you talk about totally different things here...

Enjoy the game, report the missing/not clearly seeing version of Minion at teh Minion website to the Minion staff as I asked you, or simply forget it.
    Edited by Baertram on May 25, 2022 2:07PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Forget it, please.
    You actually do not understand it and I think you do not even want to understand.
    I tried my best to explain and you talk about totally different things here...

Enjoy the game, report the missing/not clearly seeing version of Minion at teh Minion website to the Minion staff as I asked you, or simply forget it.

Yes, I don't understand, which is why I keep asking as you don't make sense and didn't explain why the browser mattered.

But I am fine with dropping it. I do wish they listed the proper latest version link on the site or had a note about it since that would avoid confusion. I have not seen this issue in the many other freeware/shareware apps I have used over many years.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    >Yes, I don't understand, which is why I keep asking as you don't make sense and didn't explain why the browser mattered.
    I explained it? Just re read it please? I even posted screenshots which were removed by ZOs for whatever reason. Not my fault sorry.

Here again for your eyes if you might have overread it:
    Having the true latest version for download is not always possible.
    You will have the same for dowloading an actual browser e.g.
    https://www.google.com/intl/de_de/chrome/
    You download the "installer" and the installer auto updates for you. That's how modern software does it.
    There is no actual version at the website directly.
    It's held "generic" for maintenance and easy update reasons.

-> The real version only shows within the software you have downloaded, at the help menu.

And I also told twice now it was ONLY 1 EXAMPLE OF MANY.
    If you are still not able to read my post and connect it to your post about minion's website and downloaded version -> It's about the same as you had described only with the example of Chrome browser here, I'm not able to make it visible even more.

And yes I'm goinf to drop it now ;)

Edited by Baertram on May 26, 2022 6:11PM
  • GretchenRPH
    GretchenRPH
    ✭✭
    actually was looking for some info on this, Minion will not launch properly for me for 4 days or so. I tried uninstalling and installing again, running it puts he icon on my taskbar and if you mouse over it it shows a blank white rectangle like the window is trying to load but it doesn't. Maybe I will try and just let it go for a while and see if it is just taking a long time. Previously it would pop right open and check for new versions of addons normally.

It's concerning since the new release is coming and that usually means all addons need to be revised.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minion uses the esoui website database. After major patches it could be that the site is busy and thus Minion is busy too. Just wait a bit or close it via task manager, rename the Minion.xml file and try again with a fresh setup.