The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Endless loop bug in Ember's quest

SydneyGrey
SydneyGrey
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I was doing the quest that gets you Ember as a companion ("Tower Full of Trouble") and got caught in an endless loop at the end of it. It was where you go up the hill at the end, where the spirit called Windsorrow is. At this moment, Ember tells me: "It's done! The spell is set. Follow me. We should be able to see it materialize!" When I followed Ember, the quest would never complete. Instead, it kept insisting I run in a circle doing that part of the quest over and over and over, since it would never actually complete. I took a screenshot of the moment where the quest went buggy.
I'm on PC, EU server, on a wood elf sorc.

52127724313_23e3b29947_c.jpg

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 6, 2022 9:55PM
  • Hetaira
    Hetaira
    ✭✭✭
    This is also happening to me right now.
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to me as well. I'd just posted about it too in this forum. I have a video of the bug as well as this screenshot of the place where I can't progress (Ember just jumps up in the air and disappears after saying we should meet in the tower). She never appears at the tower and simply re-materializes at the ritual site.
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    oc99qpc562qf.png
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, abandoning the quest and redoing it solved it though
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    I tried abandoning and redoing it, and I got stuck in the same place. Maybe three times will be the charm, but it's becoming rather frustrating.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this. We can confirm we're investigating this and are working on a fix, which will be including in a future incremental patch.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Insignia91
    Insignia91
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to me in Isobel's quest. Every time I abandoned the quest I have to start over and get stuck at the same spot.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Insignia91 wrote: »
    This is happening to me in Isobel's quest. Every time I abandoned the quest I have to start over and get stuck at the same spot.

Do you have any more details you could share, @Insignia91 ? What step of Isobel's quest were you on? What was happening?
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one recalls on PTS that this part of the quest, where you need to light lanterns, did not trigger unless you entered the circle from a specific direction.

Khajiit does not know if this is helpful or not but thought it worth mentioning.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Munkfist
    Munkfist
    ✭✭✭
    Constantly stuck at "Follow Ember" after lighting the ritual fires. Some times I get the fireworks, othertimes not. I have had upwards of 3 Ember following me while following her from the ritual site to the cliff edge.

Reloading, Relogging, closing the game and starting fresh. Cancelling the quest and doing it again leads to the same problem. Good stuff. I usually try to be patient with this kind of thing, but paying for content that we can't even use anymore is getting a bit frustrating.
    Edited by Munkfist on June 7, 2022 11:11PM
    @Munkfist PC-NA
    The Devoted Torchbugs
    Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery Guildhall - Feel free to use!
    If your guild needs a crafthall, please feel free to reach out!
  • sarahvhoffb14_ESO
    sarahvhoffb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Munkfist wrote: »
    Constantly stuck at "Follow Ember" after lighting the ritual fires. Some times I get the fireworks, othertimes not. I have had upwards of 3 Ember following me while following her from the ritual site to the cliff edge.

Reloading, Relogging, closing the game and starting fresh. Cancelling the quest and doing it again leads to the same problem. Good stuff.

Stuck here as well. Tried /reloadui, relogging, dropped quest and did a second time, picked up a second Ember at some point. Sometimes I'll get the fireworks and she disappears but she's not in the tower or back at the ritual site to try to follow again.
  • Munkfist
    Munkfist
    ✭✭✭
    Munkfist wrote: »

Reloading, Relogging, closing the game and starting fresh. Cancelling the quest and doing it again leads to the same problem. Good stuff.

Stuck here as well. Tried /reloadui, relogging, dropped quest and did a second time, picked up a second Ember at some point. Sometimes I'll get the fireworks and she disappears but she's not in the tower or back at the ritual site to try to follow again.

Yup, same here. But hey, at least they'll fix it sometime in the future!
    @Munkfist PC-NA
    The Devoted Torchbugs
    Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery Guildhall - Feel free to use!
    If your guild needs a crafthall, please feel free to reach out!
  • Karz
    Karz
    Same problem for me with the "Tower Full of Trouble" quest. I tried rebooting my PC, abandoning the quest and doing it again with the same result.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one has avoided the problem by making sure to not run to raised rock wall (where watching fireworks) until ember starts to run there, and to not jump off wall until "Return to Tower" prompt is given (which is what triggered bug originally - jumping off wall too soon).
    Edited by karthrag_inak on June 8, 2022 8:36AM
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • sarahvhoffb14_ESO
    sarahvhoffb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This one has avoided the problem by making sure to not run to raised rock wall (where watching fireworks) until ember starts to run there, and to not jump off wall until "Return to Tower" prompt is given (which is what triggered bug originally - jumping off wall too soon).

Haha I may have been a little tipsy while questing and this is exactly what happened--I accidentally fell off the ledge before the fireworks went off and that's when it got stuck >_<
  • Aehallh
    Aehallh
    ✭✭✭
    Had same problem, the found a post. Do not attack the mob at the circle. go around it to light torches the follow ember. somehow aggro from this mob stopped the fireworks/ completion of quest.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this already, but I still have the bug. It doesn't work for me. I also abandoned the quest and re-did everything, and still have the bug, but only on one of my characters (wood elf sorceror on EU). I also completely logged out of the game and shut it down, then logged in again, and still had the bug. :( I didn't get the bug when doing it on my other characters.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on June 8, 2022 6:03PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aehallh wrote: »
    Had same problem, the found a post. Do not attack the mob at the circle. go around it to light torches the follow ember. somehow aggro from this mob stopped the fireworks/ completion of quest.
    I didn't attack the ghost, but I still have the bug. Doesn't work for me.
  • AriiStarlex
    AriiStarlex
    Soul Shriven
    i am also having this bug happen to me, same spot, PC NA. i've abandoned and it gave me another Ember, and still the bug. reloaded, relogged, restarted, nothing works.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. Somehow it doesn't seem possible to finish the quest and get Ember as a companion. The weird thing is that some players are able to finish the quest and get Ember. So, there must be some trick. I already tried a few times to redo the quest and I'm not going to do it again. I also tried to log out and in dozens of times, but nothing works. If there's a trick I'd really like to know.
  • AriiStarlex
    AriiStarlex
    Soul Shriven
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    I have the same problem. Somehow it doesn't seem possible to finish the quest and get Ember as a companion. The weird thing is that some players are able to finish the quest and get Ember. So, there must be some trick. I already tried a few times to redo the quest and I'm not going to do it again. I also tried to log out and in dozens of times, but nothing works. If there's a trick I'd really like to know.

unfortunately, it seems like the bug is only effecting some people. there are lots of players who i have seen with Ember, so i am hoping they roll out a fix soon... no matter what i do, how many times i drop the quest, etc, it always results in the bug. and from talking to guildies who did the quest on the PTS, it was happening there as well, so it looks like it was never fixed. pretty unfair...
  • AriiStarlex
    AriiStarlex
    Soul Shriven
    rymmbbu2cyzj.png
    4fgfadss1pot.png

posting these as more reference to the bug, non-interactable ember not moving to the next spot (near the tower) and the quest "circle" stuck at "follow ember" on the map.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

Thanks again for your patience and for sharing details about this issue. We are currently testing a fix for Ember's questline, and once it passes it'll go into an incremental patch.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • HiveMind3006
    HiveMind3006
    ✭✭✭
    Insignia91 wrote: »

I have the same issue on one of my characters. I am now on my 5th attempt on that toon. Fingers crossed it doesn't bug out at the alter and it updates allowing me to interact with Embers tutor and finish the quest.
    Cragsear: Brit: DK: Tank/DPS-Mag (Armoury). Craganor: High Elf: Ward: Tank/Heals(Armoury). Cragriel: High Elf: Templar: Heals. Cragheal: Brit: Templar: Heals/DPS-Stam (Armoury). Cragrot Mortium: Imperial: Necro: Tank/DPS-Stam (Armoury)
    Khraga-Dhee: Khajiit: Nightblade: Heals/DPS/-Stam/Tealeaf\Assassin (Armoury). Khrag-Mund: Orc: DK: Tank.
    Dances With Sabe: Argonian: Sorc: Heals/DPS-Mag (Armoury).

*Esoteric Order Of Mayhem*
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not fixed yet!!!

Meanwhile I was able to complete the quest on another character, but in a couple of characters it doesn't work. So, looks like the bug is related to the characters. I end up trying to redo the quest in many different ways but it seems impossible on those characters. I left it right in the end and I hope I don't have to do that quest again. It's not fun anymore.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw... wasn't this tested in PTS?
  • jeremy.zacker_ESO
    Still happening.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just encountered this bug over the weekend on one of my characters, I've tried relogging in various spots and abandoning the quest and redoing it to no avail. Will have to wait on the fix.

I believe the issue was caused by me jumping off the wall too quickly before the fireworks ended. After redoing the quest on so many alts to unlock her I guess I got a little impatient this time and it's been my undoing!
    Edited by ListerJMC on June 19, 2022 12:27PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • deleted220717-003304
    I got the same thing on PS5. It started with having two Embers along my quest, one story-Ember and one mute follower-Ember with the marker above her head like my Warden bear.
    I don't know if it's related, but just in case, an image for reference (with another player blacked out) - these are both "my" Embers:

9yuo3qsj9bzo.jpg

That went well until the ritual circle, where I couldn't get the prompts to light the fires. So I unsummoned the bear and logged out, and that got rid of the follower-Ember.
    I could light the fires now, but then couldn't proceed, and it was like everyone here describes.

Edit with an update: It finally worked. I abandoned the quest, logged out and back in, did the quest up to the ritual circle (entirely without the bear, just in case). There, the lights didn't get the interaction prompt again, so I logged back out and in, left the area and came back, and then I could finish the quest.
    Edited by deleted220717-003304 on June 21, 2022 4:26PM
  • griffrawk
    griffrawk
    ✭✭
    I experienced a bug trying to use the spoon on the Guar on the bridge once it stops. Would not show a prompt until I relogged.

I saw a few others say the same in chat, and ofc there's always one for who there was no problem, going out of their way to say so every time the subject was mentioned!

PS4-EU