The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Un"Fix" the Helmet/Block "Glitch" Feature!

DerAlleinTiger
DerAlleinTiger
✭✭✭✭✭
Why in the world would you ever "fix" the helmet/block glitch? That wasn't a glitch, ZOS; that was a feature for many players and especially roleplayers! There were entire emotes used solely for the best uses of that glitch, some of them rather pricey ones at that! Looking at sword dance and own the throne there, among many others. This, of all things, is something you chose to "fix?" This has been in the game for almost a decade now, going back as long as I can remember (and I've been playing literally since day 1 and the beta before that), possibly even to launch day itself. Why would you ever think of "fixing' this feature now? It never hurt anything. It wasn't an exploit. You couldn't use it to do anything but look cool with different emotes or achieve new effects with otherwise-useless emotes and animations. It was like the giant space program in TES V. It started as a bug, but became a feature. Worst "fix" in this whole update. Extremely disappointing, and ruins a fair few emotes (some of which were actually purchased and paid for). Bring it back!
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did they *fix" this again?
    Last time they "fixed" it in update 29, the forums got upset and Gina came in and told us they didn't realize it was so popular and reverted the changes for the next update. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/564242/pc-mac-patch-notes-v6-3-5-flames-of-ambition-dlc-update-29#latest (I'm having problems quoting the relevant passage on mobile bc I can't respond to the thread, sorry)

Original post https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/565996/updated-emotes-and-blocking-will-be-re-added

--
    I'd like to point out that this reintroduction of a past bug is frustrating and has also occured for many XBox players who can't reliably log in, but that's being ignored entirely. I'd really love to know what documentation is required for changes.
    This post is a compilation of 10+ threads of Xbox users expecting a reintroduced bug that prevents them from playing. Even though it seems nobody cares to acknowledge. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7613236#Comment_7613236
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can still "glitch" the weapon in the Manical Jester personality emotes, but some friends and I noticed that the hide helm glitch that is very useful to hide the chair in emotes that summon chairs such as /ownthethrone is no longer working.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can still "glitch" the weapon in the Manical Jester personality emotes, but some friends and I noticed that the hide helm glitch that is very useful to hide the chair in emotes that summon chairs such as /ownthethrone is no longer working.

Yep, it doesn't work with chairs or the throne anymore. It also doesn't work for the sword dance emote. That one was a bit more finicky to start, but you could get it to work (you basically had to do BOTH the hide helm AND the block glitch to use your own weapon). Can't do either anymore. Most of the emotes that use props won't let you do this anymore. It's really disheartening for RPers, especially when we've been using this beloved "bug" (the only difference between a bug and a feature is whether the outcome is desirable or not) for over 8 years now! It was what we had to use to "sit" on chairs and benches in the environment before that was an actual interaction!
    Options
  • mekops_ESO
    mekops_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    never could get it to stick with the sword dance one. dont know if im too early or too late or what.
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mekops_ESO wrote: »
    never could get it to stick with the sword dance one. dont know if im too early or too late or what.

It was a two-step process, unlike most others. First you had to use the hide/unhide helmet option (but only once, so you had to make sure you had the opposite of what you wanted in the end selected first) to hide the vanilla Redguard sword. Then, you did a real quick block and that would unsheathe your own weapon to use in its place. I loved using it with the Pellitine Outlaw and Anequina swords. They worked perfectly for it, even better than the Redguard one even. It was also great with most staves in the game! But... that's gone now. ZOS ruined that fun. :(
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a two-step process, unlike most others. First you had to use the hide/unhide helmet option (but only once, so you had to make sure you had the opposite of what you wanted in the end selected first) to hide the vanilla Redguard sword. Then, you did a real quick block and that would unsheathe your own weapon to use in its place. I loved using it with the Pellitine Outlaw and Anequina swords. They worked perfectly for it, even better than the Redguard one even. It was also great with most staves in the game! But... that's gone now. ZOS ruined that fun. :(

oh, maybe that's would've been the solution to some others I've struggled with.

Which I now can't even try! Please ZOS "un-fix" this....again.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • mekops_ESO
    mekops_ESO
    ✭✭✭

oh ok i was way off. i started with the fast block which obviously didnt work so the sword would come back out after a quick moment. so i delayed the block more and more and it looked like i almost had it but the sword always came back or i ended up cancelling it all.

its honestly right up there with coinflip emote if you like emoting during fishing. most pro fishing moves ever.
    Options
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any videos showing this off? I've got an idea of what is supposed to happen but can't "see" it.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So it's like the old lean back and flip a coin emote that you could make flip your weapon instead? Wish they didn't fix that one either. Amusing and harmless glitch.
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any videos showing this off? I've got an idea of what is supposed to happen but can't "see" it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NotIFqBMvtU

This is one example of it. If you weren't using an add-on or controller for the emote wheel, you could also do a very, very quick block to achieve the same result with mouse and keyboard (since you otherwise can't hold block AND type out an emote in the chat at once). Another variant is toggling your hide helmet on or off mid-emote. Most of the time that would simply make any props in the emote invisible (most useful among them being for /sitchair, which would then make it look like you are sitting on anything you happen to align yourself with in the environment... or just thin air, if you preferred).

It's a completely harmless thing as you can see. Since it relies on emotes, there's virtually no way of exploiting it for any conceivable combat advantages (or any other gameplay advantages really) since the moment you move, attack, or use any kind of ability or interaction you break out of your emote. It was, however, extremely useful to RPers and just looking cool while idling around. The number of times I've used the /sworddance emote using my own staves or 2H weapons while waiting for a WB boss in the last couple months alone is beyond counting. It's such a cool emote, and it was so much better seeing my character's actual weapon being used for it while waiting around.
    Options
  • theamazeman
    theamazeman
    ✭✭
    While this may technically have been an unintended bug, it is a harmless one to the functionality of the game and one that's highly useful for those of us who enjoy immersive posing - especially with seating. Being able to hide one's seat by hiding one's helmet in order to 'use' any chair in the world has been a cornerstone of roleplay since 2014. Eight years. Please do not remove this now, after all this time.
    Options
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Ok that's pretty neat. Hopefully someone in charge will pin a note to the bug-fixers to stop "fixing" this.
    Options
  • Nuketastic2300
    Agreed. ZOS please reintroduce this bug. This might've been a bug but the community quickly decided to make it a feature because of how fun it is to use. The "bug" honestly isn't even detrimental to the game in the slightest as it just provides some extra fun and was pretty much the sole deciding factor in whether or not to buy and use certain emotes and personalities for many players. Especially us roleplayers. Fixing it though is very much detrimental as, while it has no impact on gameplay, it has actively reduced the overall enjoyment of the game for some of us. Let us have our fun.
    Options
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    100% agree with all the above. This bug was the reason for me buying pricey emotes such as ownthethrone and sworddance. It was not a contributing factor, it was THE reason. If this doesn't get fixed, those emotes are basically useless to me and I'll be wanting my money back.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT!?!? They took that away!?

ZOS, please bring this back! /sworddance looks incredible with it, and I know a lot of people who bought it precisely for this reason. Please let us have our fun with screenshots!
    Options
  • Salyyn
    Salyyn
    ✭✭✭
    Joining in on the post train. Bring back this "horrible game breaking glitch" asap. Seriously, it's entirely too useful for the RP community. If your logic was removing it would help reduce troll harassment, that's laughable.
    Options
  • AltmerGF
    AltmerGF
    ✭✭✭
    Did they not already fix and revert this once after backlash? Why would they try this again?
    Options
  • totzummrdave_ESO
    totzummrdave_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    AltmerGF wrote: »
    Did they not already fix and revert this once after backlash? Why would they try this again?

Look at the source. This is from a corporation who, after getting utterly crushed for introducing paid mods through Steam, went a year later and made the Creation Club to reintroduce paid mods. They will never learn.
    Options
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, what? But this glitch is the only reason I ever use Own the Throne, and it was the only way I ever saw myself using Elite Seat.

Like others in this thread, I'm baffled that they fixed this glitch after the outcry last time they tried to fix a bug related to emote display.
    Options
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sincerely hope they unfix this. PLEASE.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
    Options
  • Inari Telvanni
    Inari Telvanni
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confident this was a mistake, but I'd like them to fix it all the same.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, we are aware of this from other reports. We have passed thing along and will have a "fix" to revert this. We'll follow up with timing when that is available. But this has been passed to the team and acknowledged.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Galen
    Galen
    ✭✭✭
    Glad this will be fixed! It may not seem like much, but these harmless visual glitches/tricks are a lot of fun to discover and play around with.

While we're talking about awesome emote shenanigans, can Werewolves have the ability to use emotes re-enabled, please? There wasn't many that worked, but they were still fun to use! As far as I know (which isn't much regarding this), there wasn't anything game-breaking about it either. I miss my wolfies being able to /playdead and whatnot...
    PC - 2013-2016
    Xbox One - 2017-2021
    Xbox Series X - 2021-present
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All, we are aware of this from other reports. We have passed thing along and will have a "fix" to revert this. We'll follow up with timing when that is available. But this has been passed to the team and acknowledged.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the response and for passing it along!
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolled back a previous fix affecting fixture props. You can now once again have your own weapons appear when using some emotes, like /sworddance, if you are clever enough to figure out how…

You guys did it
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw that a bit ago! Thank you, ZOS! I'm so glad that this is fixed! Even the new ones like /eliteseat can have the chair removed!
    Options
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Now if only they'd revert the /potion3 glitch fix, but I doubt there's any way for them to know what coding to tweak for that now it was "fixed" so long ago.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
    Options