The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

AoE damage zones not telegraphed + companions

MreeBiPolar
MreeBiPolar
✭✭✭✭
Companions seem to depend on AoE damage telegraphs, and in cases when it is not telegraphed, they just stand in stupid and die. This got made all the more obvious with tons of people farming Atoll of Immolation again -- where Havokrel Duke of Storms shield dome is not telegraphed as AoE and companions running up and wiping like flies there. At some points, I saw 8-10 dead companions dead center, pun intended.

There definitely needs one or more of following (and maybe something better) done about that:

* Any non-telegraphed attacks fixed;
* Any non-telegraphed attacks made to not affect companions;
* Improve companion AoE avoidance AI (as is, they either roll dodge or stand still, never just walk/run out, and often run in straight into AoE);
* Add AI behavior modes (aggressive/defensive) and/or "disengage at X% health" setting;
* Improve companion controls, allowing you to direct a companion to a specific spot, not just designate a target or recall (and also make an option to disable heavy attack to target).
Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 1, 2022 8:19PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the devs said that companions are not aware of any AoEs and will stand in red while neglecting other mechanics as well. Did they change that?
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    I thought the devs said that companions are not aware of any AoEs and will stand in red while neglecting other mechanics as well. Did they change that?

Oh, [snip] Good to know

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on June 2, 2022 3:25AM
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭

Why would they make them like that? That's horrible.
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, companions definitely roll dodge out of some AoEs, so they seem to be aware of those.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the problem is that companion "avoidence" mechanics are all on cooldowns (block, dodge), and they dont usually move around once they are engaged with their enemies

i think realistically, the companions are basically just using normal enemy AI that we can assign custom skills and gear to (as most NPCs we fight are too dumb to get out of stupid, have cooldowns on their blocks and dodges, and we would utterly destroy them if we could fight companions lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i think the problem is that companion "avoidence" mechanics are all on cooldowns (block, dodge), and they dont usually move around once they are engaged with their enemies

i think realistically, the companions are basically just using normal enemy AI that we can assign custom skills and gear to (as most NPCs we fight are too dumb to get out of stupid, have cooldowns on their blocks and dodges, and we would utterly destroy them if we could fight companions lol)

Yeah, but normally, they do not go INTO the AoE zones -- and in case of Duke of Storms it just is not telegraphed, so they go there like flies to a candle. With the same result.