The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Wood Elf and Redguard

Roylund
Roylund
✭✭
Is there any point in going these races outside of Wood Elf for Nightblade? I realized I have zero Redguards and one Wood Elf (collecting dust) and I was thinking of starting a DK with either of them. However, their passives just seem to suck compared to the other races and it feels doubly bad since going a damage mundus to make up for the lack of spell/weapon damage will be less efficient than the sustain equivalents.

Am I just gimping myself if I pick them?
Edited by Roylund on May 26, 2022 11:29PM
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf, Dunmer, and Khajitt you are doing yourself a favor when playing nightblade. Actually anything is better than Redguard on any class.
    The speed, stam recovery and penetration is good on wood elf, the weapon and spell damage and almost 2k max stam and mag resourse on Dark elf is the best, and of course the crit damage boost on Khajit is real nice.

If you want to stunt yourself you can pick Redguard. I had a Redguard nightblade for a while before learning more about builds and the willingness to purchase a damn race change token :D Huge difference when playing on Dark Elf instead.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    >Decreases your fall damage taken by 10%.

Of all default "free" passives this one is actually bit useful in combat :)
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguards adrenaline rush translates into 400 buffed stam recovery in combat. That's not bad if you roll heavy armor build. Cost reduction is huge too, but that only applies to weapon abilities.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my wood elf. Infinite sustain, extra stam, speed, pen. Even the poison and disease resist is nice. I can use health and stam food for even more resources and never have sustain problems, even with zero support. That higher health has saved me countless times.

Yeah the detection passive is useless and they lost their bonus to stealth - which contradicts years of lore. But even without this the rest of the kit is solid. Is it as good as dunmer or khajiit for a stam build? No, but it is so close as to not matter for >99% of situations.

I’d love to have the stealth passive back. I’d love to have increased weapon and spell damage at range to reflect their reputation as unparalleled archers. But I’m happy with the setup as it stands.

Finally they remain BiS for cuteness.
    Edited by Dalsinthus on May 28, 2022 3:54PM
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Redguard is quite good for spin to win builds in PvP, but that's it.
    In general there are no sustain problems in PvE, so the Redguard has no chance here.
    PS5|EU
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood elf is simply the best for Charging Maneuver + Snow Threaders + swift jewels type of build. Buffs speed and buffs recovery which is heavily used to cast maneuvers again.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roylund wrote: »
    Is there any point in going these races outside of Wood Elf for Nightblade? I realized I have zero Redguards and one Wood Elf (collecting dust) and I was thinking of starting a DK with either of them. However, their passives just seem to suck compared to the other races and it feels doubly bad since going a damage mundus to make up for the lack of spell/weapon damage will be less efficient than the sustain equivalents.

Am I just gimping myself if I pick them?

The crappy thing is that Wood Elf isn't even a great option for NB's because the class is and has been bugged for literally years. Pretty much every time I get into a fight and use cloak it reduces my stamina regen to Zero, when you leave cloak it's supposed to return to normal values but the bug is that it gets stuck so that the only way to get any stam back is to stop doing ANYTHING that costs stam, stand still for a few seconds and then do a Ha/la at which point I get all the stam I should have been recovering gradually back in one big chunk. However you can't just stop and still still in the middle of a fight so my effective stam recovery while playing is Zero. The only way to fix it is relog or go into and out of cheesemongers. Thus the 259 recovery from being a Wood Elf isn't even applied 99% of the time.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun7dance wrote: »
    Redguard is quite good for spin to win builds in PvP, but that's it.
    In general there are no sustain problems in PvE, so the Redguard has no chance here.

Unless you want to use the arena set for this skill, Chaotic Whirlwind, which is better with Wood Elf I guess, although I haven't really hit a strong build with this set since its recent revision.

@Roylund Nord, Orc, Imperial and Dunmer are best for StamDK, always have been. Argonian was up there with them back in the day but maybe not so much anymore. It's not really a huge gimp to choose any race besides Breton for sDK, but those 4 are the best.

I play Bosmer StamCro and think it's quite good, Bosmer goes well with a hit & run style offense on any class. If you strictly want to play DK in the "roll-dodge until Leap" style then Bosmer is as good as any, but this style has fallen out of favor since its heyday post-Elsweyr pre-Greymoor.

Edited by Urzigurumash on May 30, 2022 1:05AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my stamblade that i use for pvp is a redguard (i sometimes forget which races my toons are because 8 of my 10 toons use polymorphs lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wood elf stamdk is only fun when play as the smallest height