Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

idea to appease those seeking extra housing slots

gusthermopyle
gusthermopyle
✭✭
Just a thought ... but I happen to agree with the general principle of having a slot limit & even if it does mean that every build requires economy of slots I feel like that encourages creativity & we can all see there is no shortage of amazing house builds all done within the limits. I also see this from the ZoS point of view in terms of server resources.

But maybe an idea to compromise would be to introduce a single house plot that had a bigger slot limit. Just one. It could be a blank canvas type of property with no established buildings, but make it huge and give it a slot limit of, oh I dunno say maybe 1400 (double the current maximum)??? It could maybe even require an achievement, say something like own 5 completed 700/700 slot homes, or something like that?

Just an idea to maybe try and meet in the middle. But I don't hold out much hope given that the reason for the slot limit seems to be about server resources & that ain't changing any time soon. But I just thought of it while riding around Orsinium, thinking about how amazing it would be to have the capacity to create an entire city.
  • DivineKitty
    DivineKitty
    ✭✭✭
    Having 5 700/700 houses wouldn't be too hard a thing to overcome. most of the Housing addicts (myself included) would have a house with 700 slots, and it's pretty easy to fill such a house with 700 slots of cheap, easily made or bought furnishings, from a vendor.

Not to mention, this 700 item requirement would exclude people who don't have ESO+. Perhaps a better requirement would be to simple own a majority of the base game houses?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are definitely things they could do to help with the limit if it absolutely needs to be there. The first thing I'd do is consolidate all the attunable stations in some way. For any houses using them, they instantly free up a few hundred spots or more.

I'd look into house linking as well as custom entry points. EHT explores the first option. Allow players to place portals or doors which will link one house to another. If you also allow players to set custom entry points then you can simply enter a door in one house which will then load you into another house at a specific point. If used in a clever way, you can essentially make one giant house linked by portals (and load screens unfortunately) but it's a good option compared to the current limit.

We as players have to remember that there are performance reasons why the limit is there. We can't just ask to buy more slots or for a bigger unique house to be added without addressing the performance issue that ZOS currently needs to work around.
  • gusthermopyle
    gusthermopyle
    ✭✭
    Perhaps a better requirement would be to simple own a majority of the base game houses?

Sure, just spouting out ideas here! ;)
  • gusthermopyle
    gusthermopyle
    ✭✭
    We can't just ask to buy more slots or for a bigger unique house to be added without addressing the performance issue that ZOS currently needs to work around.

Yup, agreed. I just thought that this idea would kind of meet everyone in the middle. I don't think that every house needs a bigger slot cap, and like I said I actually think it kind of adds to the experience. If there was no limit then I think I personally would feel less achievement from making something decent within the limits.

But one specific house with a bigger limit seems like a compromise. Current server loads might not even matter - how many people would actually take this up, and would that compare to the number of people who purchase the notable houses that are on sale every month - each one of which potentially adds 700 furnishing slots per home to the server right now?

See where I'm coming from?

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't just ask to buy more slots or for a bigger unique house to be added without addressing the performance issue that ZOS currently needs to work around.

Yup, agreed. I just thought that this idea would kind of meet everyone in the middle. I don't think that every house needs a bigger slot cap, and like I said I actually think it kind of adds to the experience. If there was no limit then I think I personally would feel less achievement from making something decent within the limits.

But one specific house with a bigger limit seems like a compromise. Current server loads might not even matter - how many people would actually take this up, and would that compare to the number of people who purchase the notable houses that are on sale every month - each one of which potentially adds 700 furnishing slots per home to the server right now?

See where I'm coming from?

I can't see how they can bypass a limit in your proposed house any easier than they can in any other house currently. It doesn't matter if it's all houses or just one with an increased limit. The limit is there for performance reasons in that house. A character could potentially load into that house and then crash, only to be permalocked out from the game until ZOS intervenes. It doesn't matter if every other house in the game has a 700 limit. It's that one that will cause problems potentially.
  • gusthermopyle
    gusthermopyle
    ✭✭
    The limit is there for performance reasons in that house./quote]

Oh! Now that is not something I was aware of. I thought it was about general server loads rather than just specific to each housing instance.

With that in mind, then agreed it's probably not a great idea.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This issue is that this does not address Zenimax's reasoning behind the limit.