The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Impact of AWA on Crafting Drops?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It used to be that you needed to learn motifs on many characters to make drops more likely (from what I just read in this forum).

What impact did AWA have on that? Do I have any incentive, other than being a completionist, to learn as many motifs as possible on each character for any of the crafting rewards?
PC
PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master writ drops are still independent of the "achievement"... the buff you get from motifs is tracked in the lorebooks to determine that
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So each character will benefit from knowing more lorebooks then?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, learning the motifs on your alts will still result in a greater drop rate of master writs.

You used to be able to track the number by looking at either the achievements OR in the lorebooks section of your journal. Now you can only see it in that lorebooks section.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Yes, learning the motifs on your alts will still result in a greater drop rate of master writs.

You used to be able to track the number by looking at either the achievements OR in the lorebooks section of your journal. Now you can only see it in that lorebooks section.

Thanks again. I never looked on the PS4, but I know my drop rates are much lower on the PC and that is why. I was vaguely hoping (or misinterpreting) that AWA would change it. Though while having lots of them is good in one aspect, it does take effort to resolve.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again. I never looked on the PS4, but I know my drop rates are much lower on the PC and that is why. I was vaguely hoping (or misinterpreting) that AWA would change it. Though while having lots of them is good in one aspect, it does take effort to resolve.

One piece of advice for getting more master writs. Breadth (getting 10-15 full motifs on 10 characters) will net much more than depth (getting 75 motifs on 2 characters). The drops are quite heavily weighted to the first 10/15/20 motifs learned on a character, and learning many more beyond that has drastically diminishing returns on the drop rate.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

One piece of advice for getting more master writs. Breadth (getting 10-15 full motifs on 10 characters) will net much more than depth (getting 75 motifs on 2 characters). The drops are quite heavily weighted to the first 10/15/20 motifs learned on a character, and learning many more beyond that has drastically diminishing returns on the drop rate.

The must be an addon for that....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, yes, a private add-on I wrote (that's incomplete, but collects the data) to track drops from writs (actually any "box" in the game) per character, so I could check that out. While my main (who knows all the motifs) gets a few more master writs, my characters that know 10/15 of them are not far behind, but still quite a bit higher than the ones that only know 3 or 4 that would count towards the drop rates.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭

Well, yes, a private add-on I wrote (that's incomplete, but collects the data) to track drops from writs (actually any "box" in the game) per character, so I could check that out. While my main (who knows all the motifs) gets a few more master writs, my characters that know 10/15 of them are not far behind, but still quite a bit higher than the ones that only know 3 or 4 that would count towards the drop rates.

This is really good information. Thanks.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @tmbrinks I’m curious if you have any similar data about furnishing plan drops. I wonder if my low drop rate might be because my main knows a lot of plans but I generally don’t make a huge effort to get many on my alts.

Actually, I’m not even sure if you are into housing and furnishings. Anyone else who has any insight would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmbrinks I’m curious if you have any similar data about furnishing plan drops. I wonder if my low drop rate might be because my main knows a lot of plans but I generally don’t make a huge effort to get many on my alts.

Actually, I’m not even sure if you are into housing and furnishings. Anyone else who has any insight would be greatly appreciated as well.

No, I do not. I haven't done anywhere near enough of the dailies that drop plans (usually just enough to get the achievement) to make any determination. And most of them don't drop from boxes (the ones you open in your inventory), they're straight loot drops, so what I have doesn't collect that data.

I do have every furnishing plan in the game, but it's more of a "I'm not going to farm these, I'll do a million writs and just buy the ones I'm missing"
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, I do not. I haven't done anywhere near enough of the dailies that drop plans (usually just enough to get the achievement) to make any determination. And most of them don't drop from boxes (the ones you open in your inventory), they're straight loot drops, so what I have doesn't collect that data.

I do have every furnishing plan in the game, but it's more of a "I'm not going to farm these, I'll do a million writs and just buy the ones I'm missing"

I think the dailies in the newer dlc zones at least come from the reward boxes, I’m thinking of Blackwood and Fargrave specifically, though I’m pretty sure Markarth and Solitude did as well.

I have been using vouchers to pick up ones I can, but I get a lot of duplicates and you can’t sell them for much gold at that point. There are also some highly sought after plans that don’t have random envelopes for them.

I’d much rather farm the plans directly than do as many daily crafting writs as you. I could not stay awake doing that.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think the dailies in the newer dlc zones at least come from the reward boxes, I’m thinking of Blackwood and Fargrave specifically, though I’m pretty sure Markarth and Solitude did as well.

I have been using vouchers to pick up ones I can, but I get a lot of duplicates and you can’t sell them for much gold at that point. There are also some highly sought after plans that don’t have random envelopes for them.

I’d much rather farm the plans directly than do as many daily crafting writs as you. I could not stay awake doing that.

Are you on the PC or console? It was much harder on console, but a few addons make is relatively easy on the PC.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I know they drop from them. But I've only ever done those on my main, for the achievement, and usually only right about the 30 needed, so I have no basis for comparison of drop rates.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m on console.

I wish that my signature would show up on mobile. I put it in there so I don’t have to type that every time.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Xorikh
    Xorikh
    Soul Shriven

Do you ever have plans on releasing the add-on? I like you enjoy my data!
  • Xorikh
    Xorikh
    Soul Shriven
    Xorikh wrote: »

@tmbrinks