The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New installer appeared today when I started the game from Steam (PC/EU)

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I started ESO today from Steam, and noticed some new installer windows appearing, as if I had never installed ESO before. It installed about 20GB of content, and even reinstalled DirectX. Does anyone know what might have caused this? The new installer window looked legitimate: it had the Zenimax, Steam, etc. names and logos. Once the installer windows had finished their tasks, I had to select ESO again from Steam to run it.

(Yes, I do have a virus scanner, and it runs regularly)
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 25, 2022 9:41PM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this your first time playing ESO?

That secondary launcher is normal, and has been around since launch. It's pretty common for MMOs to have a separate launcher.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Marto wrote: »

That secondary launcher is normal, and has been around since launch. It's pretty common for MMOs to have a separate launcher.
    I've been playing for over a year, and the installer window (I'm not talking about any launcher) I saw today is definitely not one I've seen before.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Marto wrote: »

I've been playing for over a year, and the installer window (I'm not talking about any launcher) I saw today is definitely not one I've seen before.

Did you repair the game? The only time that happens to me in Steam is when I repair the game.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a picture would help.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me once on my old computer, when Steam lost its connections to the already-installed ESO files.

If you play games on Steam, you might notice that after you quit a game it takes a second or longer before Steam shows that the game is ready to launch again. That's because when you quit the game Steam needs to update its own files, and in some cases copy your local game data to the cloud so it can be available on other computers you have Steam installed on. If Steam isn't able to successfully update everything for some reason, its pointers to your local game might get lost or corrupted, such that it no longer recognizes that you've already got the game installed, and it will prompt you to install the game again.

At least, I'm guessing that's the sort of situation you ran into. If you do a search for "steam can't find installed game," or some similar phrase, you'll see that this isn't an uncommon problem. However, that doesn't mean everything is okay, because in this case "not uncommon" doesn't equate to "nothing to worry about." In normal operations, it shouldn't ever hapoen at all, so if it does happen then something abnormal happened.

In some cases it might be possible to simply "add" the already-installed game back into your Steam library-- basically, you tell Steam where to find the game files on your computer. There are step-by-step how-to guides out there if you look for them. But that doesn't always work, such that you might need to actually reinstall the game.

In my case, it turned out that my hard drive was failing, but I didn't realize that until much later when it crashed. Of course, your case might be vastly different than mine was. But you might want to scan your hard drive for errors just in case. Other than that, try not to force-quit ESO and Steam unless you absolutely have to, because that can prevent Steam from updating its pointers to your game files.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @vsrs_au

If you are still having issues, please go ahead and provide screenshots of the windows that are popping up.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @vsrs_au

If you are still having issues, please go ahead and provide screenshots of the windows that are popping up.
    Thanks, but I haven't seen that different window since I mentioned it in this thread. I appreciate the follow-up, though! :)
    Edited by vsrs_au on May 25, 2022 10:06PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @vsrs_au

Thanks for the update. If you do see it again, please feel free to update this thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post