The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PC NA Cyrodiil Performance - It is starting to lag again as of May 19th

React
React
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Since the hardware refresh 3 weeks ago, the performance in cyrodiil has been mind blowing. I have vods on my twitch channel (linked in the signature below) where I am in prime time population-locked grayhost, with over 100 players in range of me in the middle of a massive siege, with absolutely no skill delay whatsoever.

As of 2 days ago, there has been significant skill delay in both gray host and blackreach during prime time. Last night in particular, once the hammer had spawned in gray host, I had significant ability delay for the remainder of my time in there. I left GH and went into blackreach, only to be met with the same delay sporadically over the course of several hours.

This delay was NOT present whatsoever over the past 3 weeks. I really hope zenimax can take the time to acknowledge this concern, as us PVP players have endured 6 years of horrible performance. We have finally been able to enjoy PVP once again, only to have it begin to degrade back into unplayability after a short 3 weeks.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_BrianWheeler
Edited by React on May 21, 2022 6:32PM
@ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
Content
Twitch.tv/reactfaster
Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭
    It's the lag/desynch back again. This morning in GH on PCNA I was killed a couple of times, dropping dead while backing away from a group that was still 10+ meters away. Then my Improved Death Recap box pops up and shows I was killed by three people using melee attacks. None of whom ever appeared on my screen doing any attacks.

Lag was pretty good for the past couple of weeks, but this morning it was as bad as it's ever been.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been feeling the affects in overland, as well. It’s slight, but it’s there.
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    They obviously can scale the megaserver, as seen during most PvP events.
    I guess they had the new hardware running on full throttle for the first week to avoid problems. Now they probably try to reduce the server power again to reduce costs.
    I think ZOS is just not willing or not able to pay the bill for playable PvP.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still much better than it was. There are some desyncs where you will suddenly drop dead in a battle
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't say its much better, had 450 Ping and 4 FPS today. That feels just like home on EU again.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be that it's the result of more people logging in recently? We've been having queues lately on non-prime-time, which hasn't happened in a long time outside events, so this could be the reason we're getting more and more lag. I tried joining Cyro yesterday early morning EST and I got a 27 queue :sweat_smile:
  • FolksySpade
    I'm not afraid to go back to FFXIV ZOS. Don't *** test us KEKW
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a pvp issue I believe, since it's felt in PVE content as well.
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a pvp issue I believe, since it's felt in PVE content as well.
    I agree. The first couple weeks after the update I could even feel the improvement in dungeons. Now they are slowly slipping back to normal. As for Cyrodiil... well something is definitely going wrong there too. Just like the OP I've been having massive desync issues and am starting the get the greyed-out skill bar during intense fights again. It's not as bad as it was before the hardware swap but I can feel it slowly slipping.

When I first started playing the game Cyrodiil had its fair share of issues but it seemed like every patch made it progressively worse. Within a year-and-a-half I literally could not play in Cyrodiil anymore and was basically about to quit. After the refresh I had a glimmer of hope but this is making me consider other options once again. I'm not going to sit around hoping for fixes patch-after-patch, month-after-month again. Not like last time.
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair they unintentionally fixed the lag stating that the hardware refresh would have no effect on performance. They are clueless over there on how to combat the lag. Last year was titled the "Year of Performance Improvements", yet did we really get any improvements to performance... no we most certainly did not.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair they unintentionally fixed the lag stating that the hardware refresh would have no effect on performance. They are clueless over there on how to combat the lag. Last year was titled the "Year of Performance Improvements", yet did we really get any improvements to performance... no we most certainly did not.

This is a fair point. And I think the software side of things is still the real answer to fixing issues for the long run. That's why I'm personally not going to bother coming back until that is completed. Well, that and they have a whole lot of damage to repair to game's balance but let's worry about that afterward.

Side Note: Pretty sure 2020 was the year of performance. And to that end I think they succeeded - It was entirely aimed at improving the client performance and they did... in like 2021 lol I was usually in the single-digit framerates for keep fights back then so huzzah for that at least.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully we hear an update on this tomorrow. Is there a chance they are performing a "live test" without telling us, and scaling back server allocations somehow, to test how much they need to dedicate to Cyro etc?
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »
    Hopefully we hear an update on this tomorrow. Is there a chance they are performing a "live test" without telling us, and scaling back server allocations somehow, to test how much they need to dedicate to Cyro etc?

I certainly hope this is the case, as it would explain why we had flawless performance for 3 weeks and then suddenly lost it after last week's maintenance.
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no comms from ZoS yet?

or is this limited to just an unlucky few for some reason and therefore not an issue.

Personally I haven't experienced a significant return to lag/de-sync and judging by the small number of posts here (only 12 people have posted so far) I suspect it might be just an unlucky few...

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was no real maintenance last week for the first time since the server refresh. It was just login servers they did but the game stayed up. I am hoping after the next actual down maintenance, we see some return to the improved performance. Always has been a bit better right after so I would not be surprised as the code has not changed.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe zenny should start a new ‘decade’ of performance testing or reinstate the 15 year old hardware??
    Tldr- this has always always always been about money 💰 😍😍😍
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not just PvP.

It's been on a steady decline across multiple platforms in all game segments.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is literally unplayable, for years we have bad performance but now ? Its the worst it has ever been. You physically can't play. Its not even like the odd thing NOT working. Its like 50 to 90% of the time things do NOT work properly in cyrodill. Its actually a broken product at this point. Thats not my opinion thats literally just a fact. 99.9% of my deaths is due to performance issues. If they do not solve this problem soon the game will actually just fall apart. Xbox EU
    Edited by AdamLAD on May 25, 2022 6:04AM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag is back? Was going to start playing this weekend, but I might uninstall again to save comp space.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Past 2 nights for me has not been bad. Past weekend was rough.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Past 2 nights for me has not been bad. Past weekend was rough.

Last night (tuesday after the two days of maintenance), it wasn't that bad - but there was still several times I had signifcant ability delay. It seemed to always coincide with ball groups being present and spamming abilities.
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night was the first time in over a month that I had instances where I couldn't bar swap despite numerous attempts. Also had multiple instances of being CC'ed and being unable to even attempt to break free or cast a heal, my character would just freeze up for several seconds.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I wonder what was lag, and what are just bugs causing things to not work right.
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Now I'm having a hard time to break free even in duels.
    Another issue is the I'm dead even before my health goes down.
    And if you play with a DK this is a big problem because as a DKI like to make the enemy believes that is killing me and I come back with the ultimate. But now we are dead before we lose the whole health.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's time for them to put up a dedicated PvP server (IC/BG/CYR).

I think it's obvious that the whole game can't run on one server with instances.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most lag only seems where ball groups are present (or where very very large fights happen). Lag is still much, much less than before at least.
  • mav983
    mav983
    Soul Shriven
    I think it’s time to evaluate the impact of certain add ons. Maybe make Blackreach an add-on free campaign like they did with Ravenwatch and procs.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mav983 wrote: »
    I think it’s time to evaluate the impact of certain add ons. Maybe make Blackreach an add-on free campaign like they did with Ravenwatch and procs.

All campaigns are add on free on console. Performance there indicate that lag is not add on induced
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on June 3, 2022 3:15PM
  • kindred
    kindred
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, we have definitely noticed a decline in performance also. I don't know what you did zos but put it back please!
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conspiracy theory. Zos only did for selling high isle’s. Conclusion is zos can fix performance by spending some money. Won’t do it.