The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why do so many boss fights reset?

SaintJohnHM
SaintJohnHM
✭✭✭✭
During the Cadaverous Bear fight in Fang Lair, Cernunnon in Falkreath Hold, and others, shortly after the fights are started, they reset with the enemies disappearing and then reappearing at full health. Also, Risen Ruins in Moongrave resets too easily based on positioning.
  • Casual PVE player PC/NA
  • Tank CP2400 'Sugar-Flame'
  • I've completed all the dungeon trifectas. Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, and looking for nice folks to complete more trial achieves with.
  • I make music: http://www.moonghostband.com.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the first boss in moongrave needs some harder limits on where it goes, if it does the charge attack while facing the stairs it can easily charge out of the fight area causing it to reset

im not sure what the problem is, i havent seen it too often with the cadaver bear in fang lair but i do see it frequently with some other bosses (at least 2 in arx corinium will do this)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times, the boss is pulled out of it's combat zone and then resets. As long as the combat zone is large enough or has well defined boundaries, this doesn't happen too often. You can see it sometimes with long range players forcing bosses to jump to them or companions continuously rolling backward. The lamia boss in Arx is a HUGE offender here as someone standing far enough away can force it to reset indefinitely until they move closer.

In other cases like Cerunnon in Falkreath, there is a completely different issue that ZOS needs to address. It just seems to reset on a whim for reasons unknown. I'm sure it's been bug reported numerous times. It's just a matter of it moving up the priority ladder enough to be looked at and dealt with, which could take months or even years.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Many times, the boss is pulled out of it's combat zone and then resets. As long as the combat zone is large enough or has well defined boundaries, this doesn't happen too often. You can see it sometimes with long range players forcing bosses to jump to them or companions continuously rolling backward. The lamia boss in Arx is a HUGE offender here as someone standing far enough away can force it to reset indefinitely until they move closer.

In other cases like Cerunnon in Falkreath, there is a completely different issue that ZOS needs to address. It just seems to reset on a whim for reasons unknown. I'm sure it's been bug reported numerous times. It's just a matter of it moving up the priority ladder enough to be looked at and dealt with, which could take months or even years.

Cerunnon i do wonder if its similar to the final boss in Greymoor, where the problem is doing too much damage too quickly, it resets (or in Greymoor case gets stuck at about 6%)
    Soupy twist
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also Arx. Why do the Giant Snake & Matriarch mini-bosses reset constantly until all players are within range? Shouldn't these act like every other fight in the game?
  • AntonShan
    AntonShan
    ✭✭✭✭

Reasons are well known - it happens when a player has an active combat pet - netch or bear for warden, skeleton or ghost for necromancer. I haven't seen this happening for nb's shadow or sorc pets though.
    This also happens in HoF on Refabrication Committee (that's why necromancers are asked to not summon their pets until bosses are pulled and aggroed by tanks), big trash pull before the last boss in Darkshade Caverns 2 and many more instances.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AntonShan wrote: »

Reasons are well known - it happens when a player has an active combat pet - netch or bear for warden, skeleton or ghost for necromancer. I haven't seen this happening for nb's shadow or sorc pets though.
    This also happens in HoF on Refabrication Committee (that's why necromancers are asked to not summon their pets until bosses are pulled and aggroed by tanks), big trash pull before the last boss in Darkshade Caverns 2 and many more instances.

I definitely see it happen more often with pets. I've also seen it happen with no pets at all, often with ground effects running before the boss is active and I've even seen it when no obvious effects of any kind are running. There certainly seems to be some sort of trigger, but I haven't been able to see any real consistency to replicate it 100% (or alternatively avoid it 100%).
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times, the boss is pulled out of it's combat zone and then resets. As long as the combat zone is large enough or has well defined boundaries, this doesn't happen too often.

I don't think that's the issue.
    In volenfell and coh2 the last boss also is resetting sometimes and you are already in the arena, where the bosses can't be pulled out.
    In this cases you even have to wipe, because it also resets the hard mode again.

The resetting thingy is there like a year or so.
    So it surprises me, that the cause of the bug wasn't detected and fixed yet.

• ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cernunnon is still broken as of last night. Our fix was to have one person pick up the energy from all the bosses and do the cleansing, it worked fine when we did that. Though this morning we ran it again twice and didn't do the one person thing and it worked normally from the start. Same party composition each time, so no idea what the difference was.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • davapoole
    davapoole
    ✭✭✭
    it happens in moongrave fane also the next to last bosses the tank and woman who teleport. seen the ones stated and also the first side boss in cloudrest on left as you head up path. when griffen spawns they both vanish and then depends how long till they respawn. there are quite a few where this now happens and is getting worse and some like falkreath it often resets the whole cernunnon fight to restart again. which gets annoying when on vet and takes a little longer. please fix these as you will just be doing the card game bugs soon.