The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Shocking performance

daniel.13b16_ESO
daniel.13b16_ESO
✭✭✭
It^s about a month that I have played but the performance has been shocking for these past two days, and I am not talking about PVP. Constant disconnects and extreme lag in PVE and dugeons. Anyone else having the same issues on PC EU?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 23, 2022 10:18PM
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been huge issues since update 33 and they have not been acknowledged.
  • TrellyTB
    TrellyTB
    In the other thread most people seemed to think performance was the same as before.

For me, it is a massive lag fest. Near the banks, the writ boards, the crafting tables, the writ turn-in boxes, and any sharp changes in direction cause me to lag out. I see a lot more people running off the end of the docks, I assume they got hit by a lag spike.

My lag spikes aren't long, about a second or so, but frequent, and they definitely reduce the urge to play.

I do my writs as best I can, then I go play other games, even though I wouldn't mind playing ESO.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My performance hasn't changed but that of several of my friends has. Notibly a couple of them just keep crashing all the time. 😕

One of them has a pretty old machine, the other has a slightly newer one, both run a crap load of addons. I run addons but in comparison very few. My machine is 5yrs old but it was really top level when I had it built, so it still handles pretty much anything I wish to do. All of us have high end internet connections.

We have had many conversations trying to work out why things differ so much but can never seem to pin it down! The only thing that we wonder about is RAM, I have absolutely no idea whether it even plays a part but one of them has 8gb, one has 16gb and I went overkill with 32gb! 🤔
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm NOT saying anyone isn't having problems. But I haven't had any issues with the game lately. It has been pretty much the same for me. I only crash when my anti virus program decides it doesn't like what I'm doing and interfers... like when I go into the TTC website and it decides it needs to basically stop what I'm doing to make sure it's safe and kicks me out of the game in the process...

But it's important that people not experiencing problems also speak up so that there's a more accurate picture of how many people it effects and what is going on... for some reason if someone says "that's not happening to me" people take it as "you're lying that there's a problem, and I'm going to prevent your problem from being fixed now by saying there isn't one!" :/

• LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loading screens became very inconsistent after update 33. Sometimes they are quick, sometimes I'm waiting for ages.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PC EU, absolutely no issues whatsoever. No dc's or errors. And I have been tanking a few dungeons here and there.

If you are having issues, you should try to troubleshoot them(make a thread in the technical support forum). Maybe you can get them fixed. Lower graphic settings, check how stable your ISP is, update your drivers, etc.

PS: I have rarely seen a few people constantly pop in and out when moving, which to me indicates they have an unstable connection.

Edit:
    TrellyTB wrote: »
    In the other thread most people seemed to think performance was the same as before.

For me, it is a massive lag fest. Near the banks, the writ boards, the crafting tables, the writ turn-in boxes, and any sharp changes in direction cause me to lag out. I see a lot more people running off the end of the docks, I assume they got hit by a lag spike.

My lag spikes aren't long, about a second or so, but frequent, and they definitely reduce the urge to play.

I do my writs as best I can, then I go play other games, even though I wouldn't mind playing ESO.
    If you have any lag/delay issues when looking around, this indicates your graphic settings are too high. This lag/delay is caused by your GPU trying to catch up. I suggest lowering your view distance, shadows, and maybe even the amount of particles or even the graphics themselves. If this lag/delay happens in town, a non high stress graphical situation, your graphics are set WAY too high.

When starting any game, this is the first thing I look at to how I should set my graphic settings. Just looking around quickly in high stress graphical situations, and making sure I do not have any lag/delay. And if I do get any lag/delay(no matter how small), I lower my in-game graphical settings. Do this again and again until there is no more delay/lag.

Hope this helps.
    PS: There is also a small chance this can cause disconnects, as the server will think you are somewhere else than your client indicates.
    Edited by Sarannah on May 7, 2022 4:16PM
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost no issues here. One day I had strange lag when doing writs, but otherwise nothing else but an occasional long loading screen. Even PvP works well enough. In fact, after the update a problem with occasional CTD's while loading a character disappeared so it's even better than before.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loading screens are a big problem for me every day since U33. This morning, for instance, when I first logged in I was waiting 10 minutes to get to character select and I got disconnected for inactivity. Got in the second time, but all in all it took me more than 30 minutes to do a riding lesson on two characters and then a set of daily writs on a third. More than 20 minutes of that was loading screens.

I started doing crosswords while waiting for long loading screens. I'm now half way through a book of 200 daily telegraph cryptic crosswords.
    PC EU
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried Greyhost PvP just moments ago on PC EU.

It truly is 'horrible'. I can't use another word to describe it. No one can fight properly, everything is delayed to the point where we are having turn by turn battles...or we just give up and walk away.
    1. This is a 13 euro per month sub based game.
    2. Extensions cost 40 euros +
    3. The largest houses cost upwards of 70-80 euros

I'm sorry, but I think I'm at my last straw. I can't give this game my savings any more, be it either financially or loyally.
    I can't believe they let things get like this (business model and performance), there is something fundamentally wrong in the workings here and we all see it.

(An honest opinion of a concerned player who is on the brink of departing)
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on May 7, 2022 7:44PM
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cyro super bad today. Skills barely triggering, you would see super delayed feedback from their effects or from enemy attacks (including NPCs) - even in sparsely populated areas.

Godawaful.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We had to stop a hardmode run today because performance was.. not good.
    People disconnected, teleported and lagged out.

So yeah.. I can relate.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normally, I don't have issues outside of me spamming skills and light attacks faster than the global cool down. At least not since moving to an area with high speed internet and getting a newer computer. However, I did crash today. Doing a daily delve and suddenly targeted skills were not working and AOE skills would only play the sound effect. NPCs were not reacting to my presence. A few moments of that and I'm kicked to the login screen with "an error has occurred" message. Internet was still active, unsure of the cause.

It was reminiscent of what I was getting with my older computer while on a 3kbps connection.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youyouz06 wrote: »

It truly is 'horrible'. I can't use another word to describe it. No one can fight properly, everything is delayed to the point where we are having turn by turn battles...or we just give up and walk away.

I'm sorry, but I think I'm at my last straw. I can't give this game my savings any more, be it either financially or loyally.
    I can't believe they let things get like this (business model and performance), there is something fundamentally wrong in the workings here and we all see it.

Just do it man, take a break or try other games, it's the healthy way of doing it.
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyro super bad today. Skills barely triggering, you would see super delayed feedback from their effects or from enemy attacks (including NPCs) - even in sparsely populated areas.

Godawaful.

you mean how it is every day for the past few years. The decline knows no end.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just do it man, take a break or try other games, it's the healthy way of doing it.

Hey,

If there is no change, a break makes no difference unfortunately.

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Hey,

If there is no change, a break makes no difference unfortunately.
    Good news though, apparently the new NA server hardware has massively increased their Cyrodiil performance. Judging by their threads on Cyrodiil performance. So if you are into PvP, you just have to be a little bit more patient. As EU will get those when ZOS receives the hardware to upgrade, according to ZOS's post(stickied at the top of general).
    We will be performing the PC EU and console datacenter hardware refresh as soon as we can, but as timelines for ordering/sourcing server hardware is still incredibly long, we don’t have a firm date for those yet. As soon as we have any additional information to pass along to all of you, we will do so.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one is afraid to say it, in case it’ll be jinxed, but the PVE gameplay has improved. Skill lines are working, and even the Bosmer running style is no longer bugged.

Sammy hopes this will continue.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shocking Performance. Sounds like a passive ability: While in Cyrodiil, gain Major Lag at all times.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • BlackAxiom
    BlackAxiom
    ✭✭✭
    It^s about a month that I have played but the performance has been shocking for these past two days, and I am not talking about PVP. Constant disconnects and extreme lag in PVE and dugeons. Anyone else having the same issues on PC EU?

working as intended.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting at least 3 "Crash to Desktop" daily since the update. No error messages just directly to desktop.
    . And also spike in the latency after that back to normal status.
    I re-installed the addons still same. This same-case happened at update 31.
    PC EU
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, there have always been weird lag 'holes' (for lack of a better term) in this game.

Not high traffic or graphically complicated etc, just like, a random chest in the middle of nowhere or the entrance to a delve or cave. Early on, anywhere around the entrance to the Harborage in Auridon would go freeze frame as would the entrance to the public dungeon in Davon's Watch. Nowadays, the chest in the cubby past the crafting turn in spot in Summerset wonks, but not regularly.

There are probably others I do not recall atm. Why these 'holes' exist I can't say, but can say they remind me a bit of the pathing whirlpools in EQ where you'd be off across a zone thinking you had your merc (companion) in tow and find out mid nasty battle that they were back halfway across the zone running in circles.. whoops!

There still exist places in ESO with graphical oddities (that don't cause me lag) like giant spikes of blurred terrain sticking up through the ground and more notably the floating flower next to a spot lit rock in Craglorn. That's been there forever.. the spike is new though; have a screen posted in discord with a blurb about druid spikes.

There are many problems with the code in this game, one of them being that no one ever 'tidied up'. Sometimes if your game loads too slow from lag you can see what lies beneath and there are many, many artifacts that just shouldn't have been left. Maybe someday they will clean it up, if it can be, without breaking the game entirely.

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OnnuK wrote: »
    I am getting at least 3 "Crash to Desktop" daily since the update. No error messages just directly to desktop.
    PC EU
    If you have an Nvidia GPU, disable AA in the settings and see if that helps.
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    For me, there have always been weird lag 'holes' (for lack of a better term) in this game.

Not high traffic or graphically complicated etc, just like, a random chest in the middle of nowhere or the entrance to a delve or cave. Early on, anywhere around the entrance to the Harborage in Auridon would go freeze frame as would the entrance to the public dungeon in Davon's Watch. Nowadays, the chest in the cubby past the crafting turn in spot in Summerset wonks, but not regularly.
    Not saying this is your issue, but those places have one thing in common: They are nearby, or next to, water. Try turning down the settings affecting water(like reflection), and/or the view distance. Maybe that helps.
  • StevieKingslayer
    StevieKingslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they fixed pvp and now my pve lags (tho tbh pve been lagging for about a week at least really weirdly). And no, it's not "me and my internet". An entire dungeon group from around the world all lags at once = the server. We had a whole group freeze stutter the other night. And then again 3 days later.
    I am demanding better customer service from Zenimax Studios.
    I am demanding better and more open communication between the devs & the playerbase.
    Majin Stevie || Iothane || Nymphetamine
    PVP || PVE
    Player since beta.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    PC EU
    If you have an Nvidia GPU, disable AA in the settings and see if that helps.
    Coatmagic wrote: »

Not saying this is your issue, but those places have one thing in common: They are nearby, or next to, water. Try turning down the settings affecting water(like reflection), and/or the view distance. Maybe that helps.

Thank you, I Will try and post the results , I am using DLSS (thought will be better since it is new)
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The true definition of irony:

Mf0rNiU.png
    Edited by Jaraal on May 11, 2022 9:37AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I played a bit on the NA server today. Just some PvE (a couple of daily quests and a dungeon) on a low level character. Gameplay was pretty smooth.

While EU server gives me 310 ping, the average ping at NA server was ~270. But the NA server is twice as far away. (NA server is 15k KM away while EU server is only 8k KM away from me)

Lag on EU server is just terrible.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I will try playing around with settings and see whether it approves. It is just strange as I never used to have lag in PVE, only PVP and didn't change the settings or anything. I also cannot explain the constant disconnects back to log-in which I also only ever had in PVP. Can't be addons as I don't run many.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @daniel.13b16_ESO

If you've not done so, we recommend the connection troubleshooting linked below as a starting point for fixing these disconnections.

Connection Troubleshooting - Technical Support - The Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post