The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Plus - any point in me renewing it?

JARTHEGREY
JARTHEGREY
✭✭✭
Hi. My ESO Plus subscription is due in June and I honestly don’t know if I want to renew it, although I know I will get the Blackwood DLC so a bit more to do there. I love the lore and I love doing the quests, what I don’t like is being forced down an avenue that I don’t like. I get that ESO is a multiplayer game and designed for groups and guilds etc. but it’s annoying as a PvE player when I’m being ‘forced’ to play PvP in Cyrodiil because that is the ONLY way to get Transmute Crystals.

I started doing the Grey Host Campaign in Cyrodiil recently and I’m getting very frustrated with that. I can make my way around Cyrodiil, complete the Quests and Delves and get the Skyshards (apart from the 4 that are locked to Alliance keeps) but every now and again I get caught up in an alliance fight. When this happens, invariably someone will come up to me and before I can even put up a shield – they hit me for something like 24k damage and that’s it – game over.

In response, even if I do manage to get a shot off – it’s about 2 -3k damage at most, so my question is – what am I missing? How are they able to hit for 24k and I can only hit for about 2 – 3k? All my gear is legendary (apart from rings) and they are all part of sets (Mother’s Sorrow / Necromancer / Crafty Alfiq’s). I have googled my build and set it up as close as possible to one of the recommended builds here (https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/). I have assigned my CP in the way advised, and I have worked on my ‘rotation’ so that I have a mix of shields, AoE and DPS attacks in my bar. I use Potions and food buffs as suggested but I still get slammed.

I wanted to get some Transmute Crystals so I could make better ‘Sets’ but if the only way I can do that is to carry on in Cyrodiil then I’m not really sure if I want to, or if I’m willing to pay the subscription.

I’d welcome any thoughts on this.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also do a random normal dungeon which gets you 10 transmutes for the first one done for each character a day, you get a few from doing trials too, but random normal dungeon farming is a very common way to get transmutes.

With regards to builds, I'm not a pvp expert, but players build for huge resistances, so you may want to look up a pvp build rather than a pve build.

Maybe consider doing keep wall repairs, door repairs and soloing resources like farms to build up your AP. Getting to level 1 on your character in your home campaign will get you 50 transmutes, and if you save your rewards of the worthy and only open 1 a day you also get a transmute geode in there for sure for the first one, then a chance for any others that day
    Soupy twist
  • GarfieId
    GarfieId
    I actually think you're better off doing PvE to get your crystals, each character on the daily random will give you 10.

As for your build, it's a pve one, you're probably better off running a tankier build to start off with, not sure what they're running (I think most run gaze of sithis mythic).

As for why you do no damage, your build is crit focused so many players in pvp run impen to get more crit resist. Due to your damage relying on crits and not raw damage they'll take very little damage.

I'd do a bit of research into mag sorc pvp builds, assuming you're in cp (as mentioned above) you could make a fairly cheap one with clever for damage and then maybe run 1 defense setup to begin with (and sithis), just so you can survive for longer.

But either way, as I mentioned above pretty sure you're better off doing daily dungeons.

As for renewing, I mean I think the sub is unnecessary, I've been playing without it for like 6 years just fine, but it's more so for convenience so it's your choice.
    Edited by GarfieId on March 8, 2022 2:49PM
  • JARTHEGREY
    JARTHEGREY
    ✭✭✭
    When you say "Random normal dungeon" - these are group dungeons found through Activity Finder right?

I'll have a look at getting a PvP build - it hadn't dawned on me until you said it and then I was like "Doh - yeah that makes sense now".

Thanks for the advice.
  • GarfieId
    GarfieId
    JARTHEGREY wrote: »
    When you say "Random normal dungeon" - these are group dungeons found through Activity Finder right?

I'll have a look at getting a PvP build - it hadn't dawned on me until you said it and then I was like "Doh - yeah that makes sense now".

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah should be in there, random dungeon one, normal or vet it gives the same rewards.
  • JARTHEGREY
    JARTHEGREY
    ✭✭✭
    GarfieId wrote: »

<snip>

As for why you do no damage, your build is crit focused so many players in pvp run impen to get more crit resist. Due to your damage relying on crits and not raw damage they'll take very little damage.

<snip>

Sorry - 1 question, when you say "Raw Damage" is that "Spell Damage", "Weapon Damage" or "Physical Penetration"?
  • GarfieId
    GarfieId
    JARTHEGREY wrote: »
    GarfieId wrote: »

<snip>

<snip>

Sorry - 1 question, when you say "Raw Damage" is that "Spell Damage", "Weapon Damage" or "Physical Penetration"?

All of those I would consider raw damage, damage that will be done as opposed to a chance of being done.

I supposed to elaborate, pen will ignore armor. So due to armor having a diminishing return if you have 12k pen it will give the most damage against a low armor target, and help kill tankier ones.

Wep/spell damage will just give you damage (will increase your tool tips), but it can be reduced by armor, also heals will scale with your wep and spell but damage but pen will not. It's best to have a good mix of those for pvp.
    Edited by GarfieId on March 8, 2022 5:27PM
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also don't forget that Practised and expert PVP players can put you down with a couple of key presses in a second or so ( well they can me anyhow). Best not to worry about it, I occasionally pop in there to do master writs and pick up the odd daily quest. I made some PVP gear and it made no difference to my survivability (lol) so I just join in on the back of a seige if im passing one otherwise happily go about my business until someone takes exception to my existence!