The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do you like "Limited Time" items on Crown Store

OnnuK
OnnuK
✭✭✭
I am really curious what our community thinks. It is double edge. It may hurt sales (people may not have enough crown to purchase limited items on that period and feels bad to play or even worse they leave the game) or it push sales (due to limited availability people will buy although it is not needed at the moment)
PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"

Do you like "Limited Time" items on Crown Store 77 votes

YES. I love it, not everyone will have the option to buy the item later, and it feels great to have limited-timed items.
10%
GlassHalfFullguulSjestenkaMolydeusPterion87MesiteiPlayOnlyESOFester82 8 votes
NO. All items should be accessible anytime, so people can have piece of mind and enjoy more.
48%
MagenpieBelegnoleWhiteCoatSyndromeAlienSlofOnnuKBloodyStigmatakuma82GarishListerJMCLadyNalcaryaLumennFluffyReachWitchAztriasMAEKRainchaser Electrone_MagnusveloSylraptorAshrynjoergingerBlodreina 37 votes
MIXED. All items should be accessible anytime but special discounts can be used to push sales and give Bargain Feeling.
33%
Kesstrylopajredspecter23Easily_LostRaddlemanNumber7ScallanIrfindDrathlyAshyachuNord_RaseriDiebesgutHappyTheCamperLoneStar2911PeacefulAnarchybridgetroseRed7Werewolfrisficouriersixschindlerlizardman 26 votes
OTHER...
7%
wenchmore420b14_ESOAcadianPaladinJaimehBretonMageAmotticaSkaraMinoc 6 votes
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. All items should be accessible anytime, so people can have piece of mind and enjoy more.
    If we had more regular rotation and no putting old crown items into crates - maybe it would be OK.

Generally, while I appreciate crown stuff being mostly cosmetic, pay-to-skip at worst, ESO monetization feels greedy and predatory. Gem exclusives, insufficient info on availability of certain items in-game, exorbitant prices on houses... constant FOMO exploitation doesn't help at all.
  • WraithCaller88
    WraithCaller88
    ✭✭✭
    To me, the FOMO idea makes... no sense at all.

I would spend far more money in the Crown Store if everything were available all the time, because I'd likely play more alt characters knowing I could get whatever fancy things I want for them; instead I'm focusing on one character because I know all the things I want will cycle around every 2 years IF I'm lucky...
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MIXED. All items should be accessible anytime but special discounts can be used to push sales and give Bargain Feeling.
    Limited time digital items simply aren't of any benefit to players. It's a benefit to the company. The fact that players don't like the practice isn't much of a factor unfortunately.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I can be a stubborn and ornery old man. I will dig my heels in and flat out refuse(even if I want it) if I feel like I'm being pressured or rushed into a purchase. By the same token you are MUCH more likely to catch me in an impulse buy, provided you actually have it for sale. Decades in market management says this isn't smart business, but I also will admit that I do not have the numbers from any of Zos's reports (projected, actual etc) AND the fact that there is very little competition for ESO at the moment has a huge effect on how you handle your customers. Its working for them, /shrug end of story.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OTHER...
    I do not mind them at all as I do not buy them. I do respect that it is a business and marketing move to drive sales of crowns at full price.

Zenimax does not make any money off selling a home or mount. They make it when people buy crowns and make more of it when they buy them at full price. That is why they do limited-time offerings to get people to buy more crowns.
  • WraithCaller88
    WraithCaller88
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Zenimax does not make any money off selling a home or mount. They make it when people buy crowns and make more of it when they buy them at full price. That is why they do limited-time offerings to get people to buy more crowns.

Except that makes zero sense when players will just buy them on sale & hoard them, thanks to the glacial rotation of the Crown Store.

I've only bought crowns the past two times they've been on sale, and I get monthly crowns from the ESO+ sub I'm paying for regardless of the crown store. By the time anything comes up that I actually want, I'll be able to get it for far less real money than I'd have to pay otherwise.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OTHER...
    Amottica wrote: »

Except that makes zero sense when players will just buy them on sale & hoard them, thanks to the glacial rotation of the Crown Store.

I've only bought crowns the past two times they've been on sale, and I get monthly crowns from the ESO+ sub I'm paying for regardless of the crown store. By the time anything comes up that I actually want, I'll be able to get it for far less real money than I'd have to pay otherwise.

If that were the case, yes, but we do not really know what transpires. The history of Zenimax using LTOs so often demonstrates they do see a strong business case for continuing with the LTOs.

I merely presented a logical reason for that though it may not be exact, it likely hits close to what is going on since it would not make any sense if it were not to drive crown sales.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OTHER...
    I'm not sure how much is profit oriented and how much is inventory oriented. That is, if everything stayed available all the time, I don't know if that might be too many items in the crown store for the pixels to handle.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they’re going to throw all their resource efforts into the Crown Store, it needs to be better.

I don’t love Crown Crates, for example. But with the new endeavors they’re *somehwat* more fun. They need to bring back a random existing crown crate season each month. There are so many old crown crates that they fail to bring back.

And again I hate these things monetization-wise. But the endeavors makes them at-least stomach-able.
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    I like the limited items whenever I can allow myself to buy them, but hate it when I can't.
    For example when the kyne's skin was for sale I didn't have the crown gems to buy it, it took zos almost 2 years to bring it back, I was super excited that I can buy it after 2 years.
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limited availability items are ridiculous. I would absolutely buy more stuff from the store if everything was available all the time. For example I'd like to collect all the (normal) horses. Sadly I don't even have any of the newer higher resolution horses yet, since whenever they were available once in a blue moon, I either didn't know or wasn't able to play.

It's especially bad for new players, or new characters of a race you haven't played before, at least if you prefer lore appropriate cosmetics.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OTHER...
    Ideally all items should be available all the time, but that may be difficult given how many items have been released over the years, so instead I think a good compromise is too cycle through items a lot faster than what we have currently, so someone for eg., won't have to wait 1-2 years for a house to reappear, but instead a couple of months at the most.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OTHER...
    Occasionally I might enjoy the feeling of novelty when limited time items are made available again, but the offerings are too few, and the time constraints too limited. They need to expand the selection and broaden the time window. I've missed way too many items just because I deliberated for too long.
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    YES. I love it, not everyone will have the option to buy the item later, and it feels great to have limited-timed items.
    I mean, yes, absolutely! Week long offers add value to the items, no? Value of exclusivity. Of belonging to the club. Why, just the other day, i was stopped by some stranger on the road. "Dude i like your horse". It was indeed one lovely mare, proud and noble. Nothing fancy like burning legs you know. And the stranger asked where i got the beauty. How much, and stuff. Oh, you know, limited time offer. They don't make them like this no more. Guess you can't have it mate, so sorry. M-hm. See ya! How empowered i felt, dude
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend not to like manipulative and exploitative tactics to get people to spend money, so no, I'm not really a fan of things being limited time--especially when that window of time is very, very short.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like housing - it's usually a big part of why I play ESO and make new characters.

As part of making a new character, I enjoy planning out their story, lore, etc. This almost always involves finding them a home that fits, as well as furnishing items that are inspired by the character and what I want to do with their home.

When that perfect home ends up being some limited time option that won't see the light of day for another 2-3 years... then all of that stops.

With no home to purchase, there's no point in purchasing items or furnishing packs to go with the home - am I really expected to buy something and saving it for the chance to use it in a few years? Provided I'm even still playing at that time.

Additionally, it also kills a lot of the motivation to build that character in the first place, knowing that I'm going to be arbitrarily limited in regards to what I can get out of that character and experience from the start.

So despite the marketing gimmick of the limited time home... this ends up costing ZOS not only the home I would have purchased if given the opportunity, but all the other sales that having it may have generated - additional furnishing items and character related items, mounts, crates, and so on.

It feels like they're trying to sell me paints, but refusing to let me purchase the canvas on which to use them. I can only speculate about their business and numbers, but the crown store seems poorly run, and poorly optimized, it just seems lazy - like since it makes them money it's good enough and not worth improving (the amount of old, stagnant, items on there is lunacy).

I feel like if they put some work into the crown store, they could not only vastly improve the experience for their customers, but also stand to generate a lot more additional purchases.