Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Crown Crates Comment

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I decided to donate money to ZOS by buying some Crown Crates - 10 on PC EU and 20 on PC NA. I got a total of 2 mounts, nothing above legendary.

I know many would say "random chances", but is that completely true? Such bad results would be fair (if it really is bad) if we sometimes saw someone noting (not just claiming) to get 2-4 top end mounts from 1 set of crates, for example.

A truly random number would make both ends happen, not just the lower end.

I doubt any kind of "failure protection" is put in past the relatively useless Crown Gems (which you get too few of given the value/cost of the item, should be at least 1/2 the value, not 1/4). I wouldn't be surprised if the system had a cap coded in to limit how many top items you got though.

A side note: I got the circus bear (not sure the name, but the one with the colorful stars on it) a long while back. I like cats better, so I was disappointed, but the bear has grown on me. I wouldn't mind the others, though I really only need so many mounts anyway, so it is not a huge deal. I just wanted to note I have grown to like the bear.

I do want all my indiriks from the PS4, which I can't/won't grind again (even if they return in some form) but their noises were annoying as all get out!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 2, 2022 8:42PM
PC
PS4/PS5
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to donate money to ZOS by buying some Crown Crates - 10 on PC EU and 20 on PC NA. I got a total of 2 mounts, nothing above legendary.

I know many would say "random chances", but is that completely true? Such bad results would be fair (if it really is bad) if we sometimes saw someone noting (not just claiming) to get 2-4 top end mounts from 1 set of crates, for example.

I doubt any kind of "failure protection" is put in past the relatively useless Crown Gems (which you get too few of given the value/cost of the item, should be at least 1/2 the value, not 1/4). I wouldn't be surprised if the system had a cap coded in to limit how many top items you got though.

A side note: I got the circus bear (not sure the name, but the one with the colorful stars on it) a long while back. I like cats better, so I was disappointed, but the bear has grown on me. I wouldn't mind the others, though I really only need so many mounts anyway, so it is not a huge deal. I just wanted to note I have grown to like the bear.

I do want all my indiriks from the PS4, which I can't/won't grind again (even if they return in some form) but their noises were annoying as all get out!

Crown crate chances are horrible for me. I spent 50$ on crates once and got... not a single thing above legendary. Not even one Apex mount. Lots of repeat pets though. That was the last time I spent money on crates. The crates are just another way to set your money on fire. Nothing more. The thing is though, if the chances for the crates were higher, I'd actually spend money on them.
  • LogicOfLiam
    LogicOfLiam
    ✭✭✭
    I spent gold to get a player to buy me 45 the other day. No mount, no skins, no outfit styles, the same pet 6 times was my best reward.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are streamers and youtubers who open a ton of crates. I have seen people pull two Apexes in a 15 pack and I don't even seek out such content. I have also, more commonly, seen people not pull an Apex in 30 or 45.

The probability of an Apex is something like 1/40-1/50, though. So while both ends can happen, in a batch of 30, 0 Apexes is going to happen much more frequently than 2, let alone more.

There is, supposedly, some kind of failure protection, though ZOS doesn't specify what it is or what it applies to. My impression is that it applies to Legendaries. Though I guess with the low rate of Apexes a failure protection there would take way too many crates to notice, much less to be able draw conclusions about. I don't see why they'd put in a cap, even beyond the PR scandal if it were discovered, the odds for any randomness always favour the big player (ZOS in this case). It doesn't matter to them if a rare person gets 3 apexes in a pack; that person will probably come back for more to even things out.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are streamers and youtubers who open a ton of crates. I have seen people pull two Apexes in a 15 pack and I don't even seek out such content. I have also, more commonly, seen people not pull an Apex in 30 or 45.

The probability of an Apex is something like 1/40-1/50, though. So while both ends can happen, in a batch of 30, 0 Apexes is going to happen much more frequently than 2, let alone more.

There is, supposedly, some kind of failure protection, though ZOS doesn't specify what it is or what it applies to. My impression is that it applies to Legendaries. Though I guess with the low rate of Apexes a failure protection there would take way too many crates to notice, much less to be able draw conclusions about. I don't see why they'd put in a cap, even beyond the PR scandal if it were discovered, the odds for any randomness always favour the big player (ZOS in this case). It doesn't matter to them if a rare person gets 3 apexes in a pack; that person will probably come back for more to even things out.

Chance of an apex is 1 in 50: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49828/~/what-are-the-odds-for-crown-crate-rewards-in-the-elder-scrolls-online?

I hate to be cynical but... I imagine they do a lot of work on whether it is better to just sell something for cash or prey on the willingness of enough people to chase bad bets when the RNG is against them to get the same shiny.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My impression is the odds of getting an Apex mount from a crate aren't good but, some people do get lucky.

I've got two Apex mounts and the only crates I've gotten have been the free ones and a few with some of my content purchases.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crown crate chances are horrible for me. I spent 50$ on crates once and got... not a single thing above legendary. Not even one Apex mount. Lots of repeat pets though. That was the last time I spent money on crates. The crates are just another way to set your money on fire. Nothing more. The thing is though, if the chances for the crates were higher, I'd actually spend money on them.

They are horrible in general; to get an idea, if you take a look at any given crate season at crowncrates.com, the rate of dropping a specific radiant apex is less than 1%, for eg., over 28k+ crates opening recorded in the sovngarde season, and only 15 dropped the silver nimbus wolf.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My friend just got a storm atronach mount from purchase of a single crate, if that's what you mean.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Crown Store & ESO Plus section, as it is better suited there.

Thanks
    Staff Post
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The mounts I got (1 per set I recall) were legendary.

I was just commenting on how multiples should happen over a large sample if none happen over that same sample. It may be low, but even 5% is not that low.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grabbed a 15 stack of frost atro crates the other day, because I'm trying to amass crown gems for when a mount I want comes back around, and got a resplendent sweetroll... total surprise.

I'm hoping I don't have to use it, though, as I like how it looks on my dining table next to the shivering cheese.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • chrisfeng
    chrisfeng
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    They are horrible in general; to get an idea, if you take a look at any given crate season at crowncrates.com, the rate of dropping a specific radiant apex is less than 1%, for eg., over 28k+ crates opening recorded in the sovngarde season, and only 15 dropped the silver nimbus wolf.

500 bucks for a radiant apex is crazy, I am thankful for the endeavor system for sure.

People just need to really know the statistics, I am sure there is a segment of players who can afford it.