The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Update all dungeons to accommodate small groups

Bane_Andeddu
I'm blocked from doing the secret bosses in dread cellar when I'm in a co op group with a friend and two companions. This happens in other dungeons as well. In the newest dungeons (Coral Aerie and Shipwrights Regret) this problem has been addressed. The old dungeons need to be updated. The companions can't help with accessing the secret bosses but they can help with all other dungeon aspects? I'm paying for content but i constantly have to drag my guild mates into doing old dungeons just to access secret bosses? That or I miss out entirely. This is ridiculous. Plus in dread cellar it starts with only two players needed for puzzles then gradually goes up so it almost tricks you lol
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dungeons are meant to be group content, although i agree some of the side areas especially for dread cellar are especially annoying to access (2 layers of "synchronized" actions), which increase in difficulty as it requires more players

at least red petal bastion is fixed at 3 player requirement and only requires standing on pressure plates

black drake villa also has secret bosses, but they also have a random requirement on number of people needed, the 2nd and 3rd secret bosses only require 2 people minimum, while the first one requires 4, and the 4th secret one generally requires 4 as well (to collect enough of the wisps)

the thing is none of the side bosses can drop weapons, so if thats all you need from the dungeon its generally faster to skip them unless your trying to help someone else get the achievements for doing the side bosses
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Bane_Andeddu
    The problem with this explanation is that I am indeed in a group, but it happens to be less than four people. I am engaging in group content with a group and that cannot be denied. Also, secret bosses do drop gear and the extra gear is nice. I don't want to skip content or gear if I'm in the mood to do said content.

The two newest dungeons are an obvious design change. Look at the last secret boss on Coral Aerie; there's four pressure plates to access the last secret boss BUT if you only have two group members for example then you both simply stand on two pressure plates and you are granted access regardless of the fact that it's only 2/4 plates being pressed.

Furthermore Dragons, World Bosses, Dark Anchors, Harrowstorms, etc. are meant to be "group content" but people solo them or co op those scenarios all the time. You actually have the CHOICE to attempt that. In only a select few dungeons the game limits your choice and freedom of play. Remove that limitation. If I'm a tank, my friend is a dps, and we bring two comps then that makes it a four player group. Do you know why that is a full group? The game tells me so. A companion counts as a person in the group.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while a companion takes up a slot of a person, they definitely do not equate to a full player

they are equivalent to a pet that takes up a group slot instead of a slot on your skill bar

im not disagreeing that some of those side bosses could be made less annoying to access for sure, but i dont think its a problem some of them have trigger mechanisms instead of just going on a side path

i definitely think that the triggers for dread cellar should be improved though, 2 synchronized actions is too much especially once you need more than 2 people to perform them, which is why i end up seeing most groups skipping the side bosses
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they were just finding out things. Yes the Dread Cellar / Kinra Dungeon Bonuses are actually annoying after awhile. I like the new ones much better that don't require wonky plate/X4 players.
  • Bane_Andeddu
    I think you are right in that they are finding out what works best. The new dungeons are awesome.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 4-man dungeon, what do you expect
  • Bane_Andeddu
    I expect the very few dungeons with garbage secret boss mechanics to get an update. What a stupid question. Read the post.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure last set of dungeons indicates they'll go back and change requirements also one day at least for the normal version of it to be soloable. Would probably depend of a feedback and participation level.