The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Has the game color changed?

Avoranti
Avoranti
✭✭✭✭✭
PS4/5 NA
Since the last big update I noticed the color in game has been oversaturated and the dark areas are super dark. I readjusted my in-game settings and tv settings to try and get things back to reasonable. Which they were as of yesterday. Today there was a patch and once again, the color is over-saturated in some zones and I can’t get it back to looking decent. It’s not as bad on my PS4 but my PS5 it’s really noticeable. Especially in Southern Elsweyr. So much so it started to give me a migraine after spending 15 minutes in the zone.
I don’t think this is a bug per se, but I do think something is going on here.
Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any solutions? (no, I’m not changing to PC, sorry).
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 9, 2022 11:20PM
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, on Xbox, as well, before this update I never had to bother with brightness, and was so happy for a change, now is back to usual-log on-video-adjust brightness, and it never saves my preferences, this has to be repeated everytime I log on.
    The saturated colors I can deal with, but the darkness....thank heavens for Almamexia's Momento, or I;d be bouncing off walls in some Delves, and Dungeons.
  • Erebear
    Erebear
    In the video settings I believe, there is a color adjustment. You can shift between flatter or vibrant colors. You can check that setting as well. Hope that helps!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Though they fixed the bug with brightness a little while back, the game is still darker on PS5 than PS4.

I have the brightness set to max but still cannot see at night. The circles on the brightness page get a lot brighter from about midway on the slider bar to max, but the game itself does not significantly get brighter.

I have to use Almalexia’s Lantern while farming containers in Nchuthnkarst public dungeon in Blackreach on PS5 while I did not on PS4.

I had thought of posting screenshots here comparing the two, but when I put them on here from computer the brightness gets adjusted somehow and I’m not sure how to compensate for it adequately.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the fact that it's darker, now I have a good use for almalexia's lantern and the treasure hunter personality with the torch. But I feel like the single player games are the ones that should've been darker, since ESO doesn't have a 'natural' torch system like the single player games.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's all darker now.
    I had to readjust brightness or I wouldn't see a thing in the places where there are a few lights spots or none.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's very dark now. My armor is black but not a strong black so I can see the big DB hand imprint on my chest.

Problem is recent, and I had it on the PTS. I wonder if PTS has changed something to make it darker. I do not know how to make things lighter.
  • ZOS_Exile
    ZOS_Exile
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed some baiting comments that could have derailed the thread. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and civil when posting. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you can’t see the containers to loot them, then it’s way too dark. Especially when the brightness is up to maximum.

Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you can’t see the containers to loot them, then it’s way too dark. Especially when the brightness is up to maximum.
    I had to set brightness to, like, +-90%.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I, too, noticed the game is darker than it had been. Night time is very dark in the game. I have adjusted the in-game brightness but that makes it a bit too bright during daylight time in the game.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • jhall03
    jhall03
    ✭✭✭
    I can concur. Game is too dark on Xbox series X.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It changed for me when I upgraded from the Xbox One X to Series X, but got used to it. I think it may be related to the HDR since that always seems to darken things.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had to set brightness to, like, +-90%.

If you don’t farm containers like I do, then you can do with less. I literally just go from memory and look for the bright white interactive prompt to let me know where they are now. Lol.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA