Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we all talk about the size of housing for a second?

Navithra
Navithra
✭✭✭
Obligatory: I know this already comes up once in a while, I just think it’s a worth-while subject.

I’m going to just float this idea to Devs: the same players who will pay for the largest and priciest homes in game will also be likely to pay to obtain small and medium size homes, and that you might in fact increase the amount of profit earned off of housing in general because you would also serve a wider existing market.

I love this game's existing system for housing, so much of your community does, but my word is every character rocking out at a crazy vacation destination in all the recent expansions. You have TONS of existing spaces (in example: Wayrest, Morthal) that have existing exterior home models with chained doors just begging to see a cozy indoor space.

Something something, insert a shut up and take my money meme.
Edited by Navithra on April 28, 2022 6:55PM
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are several things they do when developing houses that I feel devalues many of them.

Focusing on the super huge houses. I have a couple, but by far most are unappealing because of the large size, the decoration limits are too low, including the limits that impact house guest, mounts, and pets. It makes it difficult to make the houses feel full and alive.

Placing multiple houses in the same town. Mostly deals with Inn rooms, but a lot of newer zones have two houses in the same town, and that doesn't feel worth getting both, and especially when one is a Free Inn Room. Spread out the houses more.

Grind/Expense to make furniture. I don't have any issue with having some rare items, but too many plans are too rare, mats are way too rare and grindy when you look at the mat cost to make most items. Not having enough access to furniture makes big house and even multiple small houses very grindy and annoying to deal with, which is a discouragement from participating as fully in the system.
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    No arguments, just a point or two.

I for one love larger homes, but it does take larger furnishings to flesh them out well, which can often lead to less detail. As has been brought up many times, clustered items (like a table already set with plates and chairs and such) as 1 item instead of 50, would go a long way in allowing those large houses to feel "finished". They did it with filled bookcases, why not more things like that.

As far as the grind. I can see some peoples point of course, it can be an expense, but i think housing is meant to be more of a longer-term thing. I am in a housing guild and so often when a new house comes out people are posting builds within hours and then complaining how expensive stuff is, where-as myself i have 2 main homes (Daggerfall and Pantherfang) and it took me months to "finish" them and i am always adjusting and modifying as new pieces come along. I have never felt that doing so was expensive or a grind because it was spread out over a much longer time.

But i can agree crafting material prices do seem a bit out of hand, for what you need compared to what you get from it.
  • PDarkBHood
    PDarkBHood
    ✭✭✭
    "the same players who will pay for the largest and priciest homes in game will also be likely to pay to obtain small and medium size homes"

Sorry, I have to disagree with your statement. I am a player who loves the Notable home and will buy most of them as they become available. The May Crown Show Case has two Notable homes and I may buy both, most like just one (still deciding). I consider the Staple homes to be a waste of money and will not buy them with Crowns. But I will spend gold on them, I do have 2 of them and I use them as wayshrines. I do own a few Classic homes and will buy them if they are amazing, but most likely not.

Now, this is not to say I am not in favour of having new homes in the Staple of Classic size, sure, bring them out. I prefer the Notable houses for the sheer size and what you can do with them. I always buy furnished homes, as I do not have the time to really decorate them (and no decorating talent), so I 'add' to what the furnished homes have to make them cozy via the grind of making my own furnishings and the occasional crown store purchase!. It's fun!

PDarkBHood
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After years of housing, my idea of housing is to have many varied empty land areas, and lots of structural items and prefabs to use for building. Keep the smaller houses for newer players. TBH, smaller houses are nice until you get to the item limit and find out how many things you still want to add.

We have "furnishings" such as a huge Summerset windmill, towers and large castle walls. There could be even more such structures, they would save item count and offer more possibilities to build. The big issue with housing for me is the cost and availability of mats. I think this is the 1st issue to address, and next should be the structural furnishings, revisiting existing styles and adding the new blueprints in dailies in those areas. There are plenty of houses, but no so many assets, compared to the ones already available in the game. I would also change the system of counting collectibles.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    I think this is the 1st issue to address, and next should be the structural furnishings, revisiting existing styles and adding the new blueprints in dailies in those areas. There are plenty of houses, but no so many assets, compared to the ones already available in the game. I would also change the system of counting collectibles.

I agree so very much with all of this.