The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorc with no Pets, Ranged Magicka Templar...either of those a thing these days?

JMadFour
JMadFour
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking of continuing my Sorc or Templar as a ranged Mage with WW on the side for funsies concept, but I just...really don't like the Pet system in this game, I don't like having to tie up two hotbar slots to keep pet up permanently.

So I am between Sorc and Templar for this, but if Sorc I don't wanna use Pets.

Templar, I really like the aesthetics, the skills look and feel cool. It would mean starting over fresh, and that's a long climb(I don't mind, but it is definitely a long climb to catch up).

my Sorc is already Max Level and completed the base game story at least.

Plus I am unsure if the Templar aesthetics and concept would match the type of character I am trying to make. I know that isn't important to most, but it is to me. Sorc maybe fits better?

thoughts?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 30, 2022 12:36PM
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play both a sorc with and without pets. Without actually "feels" better. I dont think that I can say that one is better than the other or not...but..if you are asking if it is viable...it mostly certainly is.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pet Sorc and ranged magplar were two of my favorite builds back in the day, but I can't say either works well now. Sweeps is too important for proccing burning light, and the storm atronach and twilight tormentor are key parts of sorc damage. I often skip using the scamp, it's not particularly impressive and the stun can be annoying in group content.

You can play either of those builds, just feels like giving up a large part of the class toolkit.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on April 28, 2022 5:12AM
  • colossusx
    colossusx
    ✭✭
    I play no pet sorc and often get complements on the amount of damage I do in dungeons. Not sure if that means much to most but considering what I see other DDs doing it make me feel good! I use a derivative of the Alcasthq no pet sorc guide.

I really can't stand pets getting in the way but I really wanted to play sorc. Glad I found the guide and am glad I stuck with it. In my head I imagine all the other pet sorcs just can't handle it alone. lol.
    Edited by colossusx on April 28, 2022 5:39AM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, because I've seen some people railing against the new Companion Ember, saying 'how can she be a sorcerer and not have pets'. I have to point out to them that not every Sorcerer uses, or even wants to use pets. As noted above, they are quite viable WITHOUT pets.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out PVE period, wasn't into PVP at all and my first toon was Pet Magsorc. I started out using one pet then moved to using both Volatile Familiar and the Matriarch. I was pretty effective or so I thought. It WAS simpler to run both of those as there were fewer spells I could use.

THEN this last year I started PVP with hardly any PVE. I moved to NO pets, pure offensive build and absolutely love it. In regards to PVE running purely offensive spells with two shields when I do have to PVE for items etc I find I melt through mobs like butter. I've been able to solo group dungeons that I was not able to at all running two pets, mainly due to being able to just nuke the crap outta bosses and deal with massive groups of mobs when needed. It does take a bit of getting used to but it's a lot more fun IMO.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My two characters I use most are a Sorc with no pets and a ranged Mag Templar, as most above have said no pets Sorc's are entirely viable. For the Templar, even with jabs, it's quite surprising how far away that works from.

My Templar is by far my most loved character, she may not fit the current meta but she can hold her own in all content and really shines solo- ing stuff. Infact I have a couple of Templars of different races, I would say my Breton(my main) is the best of them, however that might be because I've invested the most time in setting her up. I never use builds prefering my character's to just develop their own identity.

She may not hit the highest dps numbers but omg I have to be really careless to run out of magicka even when using Bastian as a tank and keeping the dumb idiot alive as well as doing damage! 🤣
    Edited by freespirit on April 28, 2022 1:16PM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're doing world record runs, I would say do whatever you like as long as you understand what you're losing.

Sometimes it's necessary to swap to something like Crushing Shock on a Templar depending on the content and Elemental Weapon may be behind Jabs in terms of damage, but it's not a bad spammable. I would also go as far as to say something like Solar Barrage would benefit this playstyle more simply because you'd get more light attacks in and therefore more mileage from the Empower buff.

No pet Sorc makes it a little tougher to perform, just because the pets bring so much damage to the table. I play pet Sorc and if I wasn't using pets, I'd have to find some other way to make up 16k damage. That being said, you should still be able to do enough damage to do any content in the game if you know how to play.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure it would be "meta' for end game trials or the best option for pvp, but I too prefer no pets on my sorc. You can definitely do great damage, handle vet trials even if it's not meta enough to be on a score-push/trifecta team, handle vet dungeons fine and still have a solid pvp build.

Templar, there was a period where using force pulse or ele weapon (from psijic) was a great option for templar, but I love jabbing so much (any chance to use a different attack on different characters and not the same weapon line attacks I often go for). So again, like sorc, it's very do-able, just probably not the best option for the top top DPS builds - which is fine unless you are one of the players in those sorts of trial runs.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My sorc builds don't use pets.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of sorc rep in here. So I'll be the magplar rep.

I've been playing since early release 2014 with my magplar being my only toon. I started over in 2020 on xbox and rerolled my favorite tool.

I have never been too much into stamplar, even though I had a recent bout of stamplar werewolf for the past six months or so.

Back during morrowind ranged magplar using dark flare was insane and it stayed that way until elsweyr launch. I wrote a massive complaint of the forums during the time they nerfed everything. But after all the recent buffs to sets I decided to try the dark flare glass canon pvp/pve build out again. And it's not terrible.

It's not as good as it was in summerset with 50k crits on NPCs and 29k tooltips. Used to be able to combo most players in cyrodiil before they could break javelin stun. Very fun...anyway

It's not back to its full potential, but I'm getting 15k tooltips on flare and oodles of penetration. In PvP battlegrounds it's crazy good. In IC it's terrible, no defense to getting mobbed. And I haven't been in cyrodiil yet.

In PVE it's not much different to play than a traditional setup, just using flare instead of jabs. But you lose so much from not using sweeps. I can't justify it in dungeon content. I think if a better player than me were to build one it might get 75k dps. Speculating.

It's a shame, they used to call it "angel bombing" but now I think it's more like throwing a toilet paper roll...

• Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and that 130k soul assault tooltip is JUICY
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have one PvE sorc and one PvP sorc with no pets. I don’t like taking up so much space on my skill bars for them and want more damage.

My PvP stamplar is not ranged but she is a beast! She is the most fun of all my toons to play, even in PvE.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I usually play no pet sorc when I play sorc, and next patch, so long as Oakensoul doesn't get nerfed into the ground, it'll be a regular character I play along with my stamden and magplar. Gonna run 5 Pillars of Nirn, 5 New Moon Acolyte, Oakensoul, + Slimecraw helm with a greatsword. Wrecking Blow, Stampede, Crystal Frags, Hurricane, and Executioner with the Atro ult. Swap Executioner or Hurricane for Crit Surge if soloing. Super chill easy mode stam sorc, tested it on the PTS, easy rotation with 80k dps. Fun to play, hits hard, doesn't need a ton of babying and perfect rotation to hit high dps. Defo great when I want to jump on and just do a dungeon without using my brain, so I'm excited to add it to my list of characters I frequent. It's the reason I like my Stamden, since I made it as easy to play as possible yet still do 100k dps. And 80k dps is totally fine with me when it's even easier to play.

Anyway, my current Sorc build also doesn't use pets and it does around 105k dps in trials. But it's a nightmare to play so I don't run it often.
    Edited by merpins on April 29, 2022 6:00AM
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can play anything. The meta is entirely irrelevant in this game unless you're chasing leaderboards in vet trials.

My main is a StamSorc. I heal in group content but my fave solo build by far - she uses Thunder Caller, Kargaeda, and (at the moment) Gryphon's Ferocity. I'll be replacing that last set with 4 pieces of Witch-Knight (weapon and spell damage x3) and Oakensoul Ring when High Isle goes live. She buffs up with Critical Surge and Crystal Weapon, initiates with Streak to deal damage and stun everything, and then delivers THE MOST AMAZING FEELING HEAVY ATTACK YOU WILL EVER EXPERIENCE IN THIS GAME. I swear to god, Thunder Caller has such a god damn satisfying visual and audio effect, and Kargaeda also procs at the same time making you feel like you're channelling Thor himself.

Really, just play whatever you find fun in this game. At high level with purple/gold gear you'll feel OP regardless.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    You can play anything. The meta is entirely irrelevant in this game unless you're chasing leaderboards in vet trials.

My main is a StamSorc. I heal in group content but my fave solo build by far - she uses Thunder Caller, Kargaeda, and (at the moment) Gryphon's Ferocity. I'll be replacing that last set with 4 pieces of Witch-Knight (weapon and spell damage x3) and Oakensoul Ring when High Isle goes live. She buffs up with Critical Surge and Crystal Weapon, initiates with Streak to deal damage and stun everything, and then delivers THE MOST AMAZING FEELING HEAVY ATTACK YOU WILL EVER EXPERIENCE IN THIS GAME. I swear to god, Thunder Caller has such a god damn satisfying visual and audio effect, and Kargaeda also procs at the same time making you feel like you're channelling Thor himself.

Really, just play whatever you find fun in this game. At high level with purple/gold gear you'll feel OP regardless.

i really wish they didnt nerf thunder caller so much lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    to me .. i think be cool to add some upgrades to the sorc pets that the ones you can summon.. i think need new ones.. like the eyeballs with tenicals ,. or some other dadrea..or something else altogether.