The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lag getting worse

Tiphis
Tiphis
✭✭✭✭
Getting high ping even at off hours, with no ball groups when there wasn't any a few months ago.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now single ball groups are enough to strangle performance *facepalm*
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiphis wrote: »

Do you consider 5 random PUGS showing up a ball group? If so, I guess the term ball group has expanded once again, because I have been lagged out by as few as 5 enemy players showing up recently.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaeliannas wrote: »

Do you consider 5 random PUGS showing up a ball group? If so, I guess the term ball group has expanded once again, because I have been lagged out by as few as 5 enemy players showing up recently.

With all the tanky builds latly i think the requirements for ball group have been reduced to any male character! =p
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭

The server is map wide so where you specifically are can be quiet, but on the other side of the map there's a massive fight and so you have lag. I was talking about a genuine ball group's impact now when they didn't have such an impact a few months ago.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today I crashed to desktop 3 times in less than an hour. Every time it was while fighting the same small group of tryhards. It seemed like they were doing something causing the crashing. It wasn't just lag this time I don't think.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grey host performance has always been bad for me, skills just stop firing if there are 2 people fighting me, melee is impossible to use

been playing in blackreach more which has much better performance than grey host
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    grey host performance has always been bad for me, skills just stop firing if there are 2 people fighting me, melee is impossible to use

been playing in blackreach more which has much better performance than grey host

It's actually insane how BR just outperforms GH. I don't lag, my skills work, I can actually drink a potion when needed, everything just runs so smooth over there
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The server is map wide so where you specifically are can be quiet, but on the other side of the map there's a massive fight and so you have lag. I was talking about a genuine ball group's impact now when they didn't have such an impact a few months ago.

You do realize that continuing to blame ball groups and avoid the real issue of the servers being garbage at this point, just gives ZOS an excuse to not fix the servers? The more people that keep blaming other players, instead of pointing the finger at ZOS for performance issues, just delays anything being fixed.

Pretty soon we will be 6v6v6 in Cyrodiil, with two of the groups blaming the third for being a ball and lagging them out. I am exaggerating of course, but am it? We are already at 10% of the pop cap the game released with, what's stopping that from happening again?

Edited by Gaeliannas on April 21, 2022 5:41AM
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭

You do realize that continuing to blame ball groups and avoid the real issue of the servers being garbage at this point, just gives ZOS an excuse to not fix the servers? The more people that keep blaming other players, instead of pointing the finger at ZOS for performance issues, just delays anything being fixed.

Pretty soon we will be 6v6v6 in Cyrodiil, with two of the groups blaming the third for being a ball and lagging them out. I am exaggerating of course, but am it? We are already at 10% of the pop cap the game released with, what's stopping that from happening again?

What? Who's blaming other players? All I said was that the ball group's impact on the performance was worse now than it was. It's simply a microcosm that can reflect server performance. The base performance of 1 ball group in play from a few months ago is compared to the current server performance of 1 ball group in play. I have no definitive numbers of people on each faction, the only actual semi-definitive standard I can have is either by pop bars or ball group presence. This is literally purely anecdotal.

I don't think anybody has ever blamed the root cause of the performance on other players. The very concept of ball groups being responsible for the way the game performs is laughable. The "blaming" you are talking about is simply on the grounds that, for the many years that performance has suffered, the focus has simply evolved. When nothing actually came from zos about performance people simply started looking for the lesser targets.
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What? Who's blaming other players? All I said was that the ball group's impact on the performance was worse now than it was. It's simply a microcosm that can reflect server performance. The base performance of 1 ball group in play from a few months ago is compared to the current server performance of 1 ball group in play. I have no definitive numbers of people on each faction, the only actual semi-definitive standard I can have is either by pop bars or ball group presence. This is literally purely anecdotal.

I don't think anybody has ever blamed the root cause of the performance on other players. The very concept of ball groups being responsible for the way the game performs is laughable. The "blaming" you are talking about is simply on the grounds that, for the many years that performance has suffered, the focus has simply evolved. When nothing actually came from zos about performance people simply started looking for the lesser targets.

My mistake then, just defensive from years of reading posts here claiming "Ball Groups Cause Lag", which they don't, crappy coding and subpar servers cause lag. And honestly, I get lagged out now with ball groups or not being logged in, and it takes very few enemies approaching of late to cause it, very few. Performance is at all time lows, and will probably get even worst when the next chapter drops.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭

My mistake then, just defensive from years of reading posts here claiming "Ball Groups Cause Lag", which they don't, crappy coding and subpar servers cause lag. And honestly, I get lagged out now with ball groups or not being logged in, and it takes very few enemies approaching of late to cause it, very few. Performance is at all time lows, and will probably get even worst when the next chapter drops.

You are mistaking causes of lag with responsibility. Ball groups do indeed have more of an impact on lag than individuals but they are not responsible for preventing it. If every time somebody used dswing the server crashed, who is at fault? Without that player using dswing the effect of the server crashing would not happen and so the literal cause is indeed that player using dswing. However that player is not responsible for ensuring the game doesn't crash and is not responsible for what effect dswing does to the server. The player may have been the cause but they are not at fault for it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »

It's actually insane how BR just outperforms GH. I don't lag, my skills work, I can actually drink a potion when needed, everything just runs so smooth over there

to add to this:

2 nights ago i played in gray host for about 40 min, lag was awful, couldnt even take a resource fighting 2 players because skills wouldnt fire, i could dodge roll and block but that was it, then during a big fight at ash it just booted me to login for no reason, and it failed trying to log that toon back in, so just gave up (ping in gray host is like 200 just sitting at alliance base, fighting increased this)

last night i played in blackreach over an hour and half, lots of very large fights but very little lag, ping was still higher than normal pve play, but not bad enough to be unplayable (max ping i saw was about 160, but avg was probably 130)

performance difference was shocking, and there were still a lot of large fights going on at blackreach
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014