The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How does researching work on a character with perks on only one build?

Marronsuisse
Marronsuisse
✭✭✭
My character has a crafting build and a combat build (one day I want to combine them but I'm tight on skill points now).

On the crafting build, he has for example 4/4 Lapidary Research, but 0/4 on the combat build. I noticed that if I research something on my crafting build, but then switch to my combat build, I'm no longer benefitting from the Lapidary Research.

Does this mean if I want the Lapidary Research passive to work, I have to remember to switch to my crafting build before logging off every time?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character has a crafting build and a combat build (one day I want to combine them but I'm tight on skill points now).

On the crafting build, he has for example 4/4 Lapidary Research, but 0/4 on the combat build. I noticed that if I research something on my crafting build, but then switch to my combat build, I'm no longer benefitting from the Lapidary Research.

Does this mean if I want the Lapidary Research passive to work, I have to remember to switch to my crafting build before logging off every time?

If it still works like it did years ago, the timer will continue to count down from the higher amount, but the research passives allow you to complete it at that time.

So, for example, without passives the last trait takes like 30 days to research with the passives. You start all 3 of those with the passives in. (so you can do 3 at a time). You take them out for your combat build. Wait 30 days. Put the skill points back into the passive and the research will be done.

Note: This is how it was the last time I did research on a character, which was in probably 2018/9 (whenever we got the 16-18th character slots)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh okay... so if my timer says 6 days on my crafting build, and 9 days on my combat build, even if I spend the next 6 days only playing my combat build, I should be able to switch to my crafting build on the 6th day and the research will be done?

That's good news if so, because I don't often play on the crafting build. And I can't imagine having to rearrange skills constantly to do research... I feel spoiled by the Armory Station. o:)

Thanks!
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing you have to watch out for having a craft build like this is the hirelings. If you have hirelings on your craft build but not your combat build and you log out on your combat build, then you won't have any hireling mail when you log back in.

You can switch between builds freely without resetting the hireling timer, as long as you always log off on the craft build. It's only if you go a full cycle (day) on the combat build that the hireling timer will reset.
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up!

I haven't got the hirelings quite yet but that's very good to know, I was wondering about that too.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just hunt a few more skyshards and the problem should go away. A bit of a grind, but doable. I craft on ALL my alts and it is a huge grind, but I don't have to toggle around that much, even if it takes a while to get everyone up. Getting the points for research alone should be simple enough.

That is only 12 points for wood/cloth/bs and 4 more if you want to speed up rings. You would have to get each to 50 for those, but you seem to already have that and you could remove the points from better mats levels. Then sneak in a few for hirelings over time and you are set.

Seems simpler than swapping back and forth to me at least.
    PC
    PS4/PS5