Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Increasing DPS when ping is high

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Having recently moved to Craglorn as my next zone to quest and explore in, I realised that completing some of the quests in this zone, or exploring certain areas, required me to significantly increase my DPS, because I was getting hammered by some of the hostile NPCs.

The problem is, I can't use the light attack spam recommended by some to increase DPS, because my ping typically averages 350-400, more often closer to 400. That means I can probably use 2 light attacks per second if I'm lucky, so even with a high-quality staff I'll only get about 2.5k DPS, and that doesn't even take into account the enemies' shields, damage mitigation, etc.

Do any of you have any tips for increasing DPS when your ping is high ? I freely admit my combat skills aren't very good, so I need all the help and guidance I can get.

I have read various ESO forum descriptions and done a wider internet search, by the way, so I didn't just post this without doing some homework. I just didn't really find the answers I sought, possibly because a relatively small proportion of ESO players have a ping as high as mine.
Edited by vsrs_au on April 13, 2022 5:39AM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a global cooldown in ESO of 1 second that prevents multiple attacks within one second. So, hammering your light attack button does not increase your dps. The use of weapon and class abilities between light attacks however will. These are on a separat cooldown timer, ie you can do one light attack and one skill within the time frame of a second. Cast the skill immediatly after the LA to squeeze both into the same second. Light attack - skill - LA - skill - LA - skill... This is the famous light attack weaving.

If you get this rythm down using damage dealing skill of your class and your weapon and pair it with damage-oriented (and complete 5 piece) armour sets your dps will skyrocket, even in high ping conditions.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tomfant wrote: »
    There is a global cooldown in ESO of 1 second that prevents multiple attacks within one second. So, hammering your light attack button does not increase your dps. The use of weapon and class abilities between light attacks however will. These are on a separat cooldown timer, ie you can do one light attack and one skill within the time frame of a second. Cast the skill immediatly after the LA to squeeze both into the same second. Light attack - skill - LA - skill - LA - skill... This is the famous light attack weaving.

If you get this rythm down using damage dealing skill of your class and your weapon and pair it with damage-oriented (and complete 5 piece) armour sets your dps will skyrocket, even in high ping conditions.
    Thanks! :) I feel like an idiot, I thought the 'weaving' referred to the physical movement around your enemy, not the alternation of LA and skill, thanks for clarifying that.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    High ping doesn't matter too much for weaving itself but it does affect some minor things like bow proc on nightblades (need to fire every 6th LA instead of 5). A stable ping is far more important.