Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

Pvp set ups

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hi all !

Question.
I have been playing battlegrounds for a while now and am staring to get good at it.

I have some set ups that work well.

However now i am wondering.

Whenever i play in imperial city i seem to be very squichy , especially when facing groups ;-)

Are pvp set ups very different if you play in
- battlegrounds
- Cyrodill
- Imperial city

?

How should i generally change my build when playing in cyrodill in stead of battlegrounds?

Very keen to know your thoughts on this all !

Thanks

Best Answers

• Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    Hi all !

Question.
    I have been playing battlegrounds for a while now and am staring to get good at it.

I have some set ups that work well.

However now i am wondering.

Whenever i play in imperial city i seem to be very squichy , especially when facing groups ;-)

Are pvp set ups very different if you play in
    - battlegrounds
    - Cyrodill
    - Imperial city

?

How should i generally change my build when playing in cyrodill in stead of battlegrounds?

Very keen to know your thoughts on this all !

Thanks

"Are pvp setups very different if you play in..."
    Yes, a big difference if you're playing CP/no-CP/proc sets/no-proc, is that what you're asking about?

Cyrodiil alone has many playstyles/builds: Ball, zerg, duelers, 1vX (generally in groups under six, small scale), & AP farmers (PvE heavy).

IC similar to Cyrodiil, but a focus on Telvar through PvE or PvP.

Narrow your preferred playstyle, outside of BG is a different beast, but fun.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 10, 2022 5:12PM
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, AOE is generally more useful for controlling the battlefield. Things like Daedric Mines, Wall of Frost, Caltrops and Boneyard are red areas that players try to avoid. They're useful in trying to position enemy players where you want them. Even when they aren't dealing damage, they're useful in that regard. I remember one of the editions of D&D actually had a "controller" role documented in its rule books, alongside the trinity of "damage", "healing" and "tank".

For killing, single target damage is still what you want. This is true for all PVP game modes as far as I'm concerned. Just my 2 cents...
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    Ok thanks !

I guess battlegrounds are never with champion points right?!?

I can understand some set ups might be very different then. Having said that … if people are t going for the general xp gains (+stuff like telvar etc…)

Are they then still all quite single target focused ? Or is it important yo have a more aoe kind of set up against enemy players in those areas? (Not pve)

@Wolfpaw

Yup, IC/Cyrodiil generally have different setups from no-CP/proc and cp-proc.

It really depends on your playstyle if you want to be more of duelist or fight large groups. Both play styles are good, one is not better than the other as they are two different sports.

To give some context I play in a organized group, so I can't really give you great advice on builds for solo single target offense/defense. I'm only as strong as the players I group with, we focus zergs and map play, and skills/buffs/debuffs/sets that make the biggest impact on large number of enemies.

The playstyle you are used to through BG, I'm assuming, is more focused on single target burst. Those players in Cyrodiil tend to be in unorganized zergs, solo/small group to lock resources & draw enemies from other parts of the map into a small scale fight, kill/disrupt players on the back of a siege line, look for 1v1 duels, solo bomb, etc...all good play styles.

CP will play a big role if you choose those campaigns, as you're less reliant on sets for sustain and dmg mitigation.

Best advice is try all the play styles in Cyrodiil and see what you enjoy most, build from there.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 10, 2022 6:24PM
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IC is unique in one aspect from the other modes. Death in IC is not indifferent for most of the players because it involves the loss of Tel Vars, therefore you will see many more players focused on defense or using LoS as defense, also more players will try to avoid fights and thus their set ups will be significantly different from the attacker's side, all forms of soft CC (root and snare) become invaluable here. Another important point is that in IC ganking has a tangible benefit, so you will see more gankers there, which in turn makes it worthwhile to have ways to deal with invisibility.

In Cyrodiil, on the other hand, you must be ready for the fact that there will almost never be a battle between equal forces on either side of a clash, any duel can be broken, any seemingly winning situation can be reversed. If you are playing for a campaign you must learn tactics and strategy. An important factor is also siege weapons, sometimes one accurate shot in the least opportune moment can wipe you off the board, it is worth to learn how to use them, which are suitable for which occasions. Here you adjust the build according to how you want to play. Starting with PUG, Ganking, Tanking, Bombing, 1vX, Small Scale, Guild Runs and ending with Ball Groups.

There is no one way.
    Edited by Mayrael on April 10, 2022 10:04PM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks !

I guess battlegrounds are never with champion points right?!?

I can understand some set ups might be very different then. Having said that … if people are t going for the general xp gains (+stuff like telvar etc…)

Are they then still all quite single target focused ? Or is it important yo have a more aoe kind of set up against enemy players in those areas? (Not pve)

@Wolfpaw
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's your MMR in BGs at this stage? Not that I'm aware of a way to tell, but if you're still low MMR, then you will face superior enemies in IC and Cyro on average. Way superior than in a beginner level solo BG.

Since you're a magsorc, I don't think your build fundamentally changes. You're still a single-target class, you still use Streak, you should still - all things being equal - build for high magicka. You don't have much room for different build choices, if you want to hit a 45K+ magicka target. It may just be a mental adjustment as to what you can achieve and how careful you need to be, especially when you're playing solo.

Every death on a magsorc probably boils down to leaving Streak a fraction too late. The magsorcs who have played in IC a lot know all the places you can streak to and end up on a protected platform. I don't see Imperial Physique used much anymore, it's probably too dangerous these days, but that used to be the IC magsorc set of choice for some. The people who wore it knew all the escape tricks. Streak through NPCs, using them for immediate line of sight. Streak and eventually use an Invisibility potion. Streak from the upper level of a building to a protected door platform. Crouch from time to time, so you break the tab-target lock from pursuing players. Drop from the upper level of a building only to use Temporal Guard after your pursuers followed you down.

Duelling is with CP enabled. You might duel some people just to see where you stand 1v1 in that environment.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    @fred4
    Hi fred ;-)

So had to look up MMR ;-)
    I hope it doesnt get to tough though soon

Last night i had a 32-6 kill/death ratio which was my best ;-)

But no idea where i can see my MMR or something related to it ! Can i somewhat see that somewhere ?

Ps : can we run a veteran dragonstar any time soon?
    Options