The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

magdk dueling

PancakeHead
PancakeHead
✭✭
Hi,

I've seen in several YouTube videos and comments that the best dueling setup for a magdk is draughkin front bar, burning spellweave back, magma, and markyn. Does anyone on here use that setup and have good results with it? I've tried it numerous times and have zero survivability. I mean, I'm literally dead in seconds or can't get off my back bar. Is it maybe something with champion points?

Anyone recommend a different setup?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You using 1h+s back bar with a bunch of sturdy? Are dotting them up with flame claw, flame breath and talons?
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • PancakeHead
    PancakeHead
    ✭✭
    I've been using a resto staff but can try sword/shield. How many sturdy would you have? Think I only have my chest with that trait.

And yeah, I'm trying to dot them up but it just feels like my health is at half or less immediately. I've been doing really well with clever backbar but have four piece heavy with that set up.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most people I've seen use 4-7
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shattering rocks very early on. Keep doing this every 7 seconds. It heals you and also stuns them, allowing you to keep on the offensive. Prebuff the fight with armor buff and whatever else you can. Prebuff with a couple stacks of molten whip if you use that, otherwise, flame lash can easily keep you alive for a loooong time while also being on the offensive.
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah man, the recent champion point changes can make you op in a duel. Spec into the damage mitigation ones. 10% reduced damage from direct damage attacks, 20% reduced damage while you have status effects stacked on you (stacking direct damage dots is a common dueling tactic), another 10% from juggernaut, and slot minor and major protection. The defensive CP is just flat out broken in duels right now. And grab that 10% increased single target healing one and stack single target heals, because why not get 100% uptime on major mending (and then stack major mending on top, because we op cheesy duel gods here). Just broken. I don't even bother dueling in this game anymore unless I take the time to fully cheese up.
    PS4 NA
    Grand Master Crafter, PVP, Housing nerd
  • PancakeHead
    PancakeHead
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Do you mean you have no champion points in damage, like master at arms or what not?
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    I personally run a balance. But I've also found that the defensive stars over perform. With the right defensive stars, you can run 3 damage sets in a duel and still be unkillable. I've watched kids mitigate their damage down to double digits and it's all about stacking these percent modifiers. Both the damage mitigation ones and the healing ones. I'm on ps4 so I haven't tested much with the new patch btw.

What I'm running on my dueling build:
    For the blue tree: Duelists Rebuff, Focused Mending, Ironclad, Master at Arms (Focused Mending would be the flex one there if you want more damage. I'm looking at my magplar right now, that star is op combined with minor and major mending.)
    In the red tree: Pain's Refuge, Relentless (this one is pretty cheese, 3 seconds of major protection after getting stunned, will save you most dueling burst combos, not great usually, but op in duels)
    PS4 NA
  • PancakeHead
    PancakeHead
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much. Do you mind sharing what sets you're running? I've been trying draugh and clever lately but maybe I'll do what you suggest and add bsw or whatever.
    Edited by PancakeHead on March 31, 2022 10:03PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your gear is fine, it is insane for 1v1.
    Your cp as you have noticed was wrong and has been corrected.
    The only thing now is practice and getting better at utilizing the build/improving at 1v1s.
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Your gear is fine, it is insane for 1v1.
    Your cp as you have noticed was wrong and has been corrected.
    The only thing now is practice and getting better at utilizing the build/improving at 1v1s.

Yeah I agree. That set up already slaps. Just comes down to practice now. Focus on stacking the benefits you are already getting from CP. For instance, Focused Mending will increase your single target healing by 10% (on magdk, that will be all your healing), stack another 16% from major mending from resto heavy attacks, and another 9% from powered trait. Same with the damage mitigation ones, stack every percent modifier you can think of.
    PS4 NA
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭
    Light of cyrodiil + pariah + engine guardian with good cp magplar can be a nightmare more than magdk for me