Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

constant lag spikes - anyone else?

adirondack
adirondack
✭✭✭✭✭
So ZOS please don't respond with a link to the Latency/Lag help page, because other than being well-written its pretty much worthless information. FYI - https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9094/~/latency-%2F-lag---technical-support---the-elder-scrolls-online

On both my accounts, with all addons off, with an upgraded graphics driver, with video settings set very low, and a router than has port forwarding and reset daily, I am still getting lag spikes that last for about 20 seconds at a time, approximately every 3 - 4 minutes. It means I cannot play cyrodiil. I am basically able to do writs and harvest nodes. Not much fun.

I just want to know if anyone out there experienced a similar condition and then came up with a solution that resolved the problem. Thanks in advance.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on March 28, 2022 7:53PM
Ray
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your lucky you can get into the game.
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t always make it into the game; but when I do, I get massive lag spikes.

- The Most Interesting Man
    Ray
  • Edgemoor
    Edgemoor
    ✭✭✭
    Yes same here, getting disconnected from lobby, lag. In the EU, Internet appears to be ok.
  • carolingnight
    carolingnight
    ✭✭✭
    Same. I've been getting lag spikes since the "fixes" from Update 33. Fortunately I can play relatively easy content like overland. It's just infuriating when it spikes at the most inconvenient time.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually consider it getting "no lag spikes" as it's generally just laggy with spikes of sometimes things work these days.
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got DC'd last night while messing around with alchemy on a new toon. You know, mixing ingredients to unlock the traits. I guess the lag monster doesn't like crafters. lol
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC/NA. 3 computers in the family. Oldest has severe graphic stutter everywhere (I think you call it lag spikes). Also sound glitches.

Middle computer has smaller glitches of the same graphic stutter.

Only the newest plays the game as well as it did before U33.

None of these machines had any issue playing the game before U33.

Video drivers? The oldest has the exact same Video driver as the newest machine, just a 1660 Super instead of a 2060 Super.

But it looks like ZOS isn't interested in hearing about this.
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i keep freezing in towns mainly (curiously i do not freeze outside cities)

I keep having lag, to such a point that i can not use my mount in town. I have to walk not to run.

I wish i did not have to do the quests in VUlkel guard.

Also i noticed a change with the graphics. When i did Coral dungeon this morning, during some fight i could not even see the boss as there was too much lights with the differents fights. For each level, my character is totally envelopped by a big ball of light. (for that one i have to turn my head, my eyes cant endure that)
    i really wonder that they did changed to the graphic video.
    My most recent characters
    AD - Columba nera NB
    --Gran'ma is away from the game for resting after Covid and 9 teeth removed as she is totally knocked down -
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauranae wrote: »
    i keep freezing in towns mainly (curiously i do not freeze outside cities)

I keep having lag, to such a point that i can not use my mount in town. I have to walk not to run.

I wish i did not have to do the quests in VUlkel guard.

Also i noticed a change with the graphics. When i did Coral dungeon this morning, during some fight i could not even see the boss as there was too much lights with the differents fights. For each level, my character is totally envelopped by a big ball of light. (for that one i have to turn my head, my eyes cant endure that)
    i really wonder that they did changed to the graphic video.

(for info i never had lag since BETA. Not once. My computer is a recent one. Now every hour i need to reboot to remove a persistent lag reminding me some memory leak from some game)

My most recent characters
    AD - Columba nera NB
    --Gran'ma is away from the game for resting after Covid and 9 teeth removed as she is totally knocked down -
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    Your lucky you can get into the game.

You still can't?
  • Theros
    Theros
    ✭✭✭
    I never got any lag in this game. I can tell you, from my experience, this Servers are the best i have see in all my live! No Lag at all! Very very fast.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    I got DC'd last night while messing around with alchemy on a new toon. You know, mixing ingredients to unlock the traits. I guess the lag monster doesn't like crafters. lol

The Alchemy is DC is a known bug. It's been reported for years.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Denniskoenig
    Denniskoenig
    Soul Shriven
    Since U33 I got graphic stutters and sound glitches.
    Graphic Card is a 2070 super, so should be fine.

Drivers all newest version, of course.
  • Lori_GamerBro
    I've been dealing with this since deadlands dropped. No known fixes. Pve is pretty much unplayable. All I get from Zos is the same copy/paste answer when I'm pretty sure this is an issue on their end that needs to be addressed. If the next patch doesn't make things better I'm going to cancel my plus.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @adirondack

If you are still having issues after the most recent maintenance, we recommend starting a ticket with customer support for further assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thx Bill. I am still getting lag spikes every few minutes and it appears many other users are as well.

Because this issue appears to be systematic and not specific to any one user I will likely not open a ticket. Hopefully however the numerous threads and user comments will help drive some activity in the development team.

Feel free to reach out to me if you need someone to perform some tests or send in my trace or ping tables.
    Ray
  • dvonpm
    dvonpm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been ok but I have several guildies on PC NA experiencing severe near constant lag that is making Cyrodiil unplayable for them.

I have heard that watching CPU performance from task manager is showing a lot of 100% usage at strange times that seem to correspond with texture loads rather than just with immediate population or fights, but I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Also as an aside, I have issues every driver update with NVidia sound drivers enabling ghost devices. It took me forever to figure it out that the extra ghost devices were actually consuming a ton of resources trying to load stereo sounds and that was causing weird lag spikes for me. I have to go into device manager and disable them manually after every update... Improves my performance every time if I forget to do it.

Good luck, it sounds really frustrating. Will you come back and share your resolution should you find one?
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    r5HV7Tg.jpg

Just about every 3 minutes. guess its time to put down the mouse and back away slowly.
    Ray