The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

"Unable to Determine Current Version" error on launch 3 different computers after 7.3.6 patch today

MageCatF4F
MageCatF4F
✭✭✭✭
The computers stretch over a decade in the history of computation, all were running ESO fine prior to Update 33.

1. Athlon 2 X4 on Windows 7 Home with NV GTX 1660 super
2. I5 4460 with AMD RX 480 with Windows 7 Home
3. I7 9700 with NV RTX 2060 super with Windows 10 Home

The two older ones now also have graphic stutter, or lag if you prefer, all since U33.

Sometimes the "PLAY" button appears and can launch and play game anyway, but sometimes the "Repair" button appears and then, upon repairing, nothing good happens and the "repair" button appears again.

So I think there is a problem. Of course every one of our computers could be at fault.

Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on March 28, 2022 8:11PM
  • mekops_ESO
    mekops_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Getting same issue. + a random character lock this morning.
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting same issue on

i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz; NVidia 1060, Windows 10 Home
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you all playing through ZOS, Steam, or Stadia?

Were the Windows 10 machines upgraded from Windows 7 or are they clean Windows 10 installation?
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit just ignored that message. Seemed to log in fine despite it.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    As you like -

playing through ZOS. The Windows 10 machine is native clean Windows 10, not upgraded.

No problems on any of them before U33. No launcher error before today's patch.

Also PC-NA, which doesn't matter for the launcher error, but I tested the Lag on PC EU and it is just as bad there.

I gather your experience is flawless?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this happen the other night after I'd been playing and was closing down ESO for the night-- when I backed out of the character selection screen and closed the server selection screen, I saw the message had popped up on top of the launcher screen, but I don't know how long it had been there and it apparently didn't affect my gameplay. This was during the early AM hours of Monday morning before the servers were taken offline for maintenance.

This morning I was able to start the game normall after it patched itself from the maintenance, and cycle through all of my characters on both PC servers to get their twice-daily mails, with only the (now) usual problem of getting the "inbox full" message on most characters and having to run to the outlaws refuge to force a second mail check to get everything. But when I backed out and closed the game, the patch manifest error message was sitting on top of the launcher screen again with the "start" button replaced by "repair." It actually popped up about three or four times in a row, because each time I closed the popup it would pop back up after a fraction of a second. After the third or fourth time it didn't pop up again.

I might add that I've gotten this message once or twice in a blue moon over the last several years of playing the game, and it normally goes away by itself without any need to repair the game. The only reason I mention this is to say that it doesn't seem like the game actually needs to be repaired. If you click on the provided link at the end of the message to see the information about what to do, I think there are two or three things which are recommended to try before doing a repair of the game.

Anyway, I closed down ESO and Steam, rebooted, and restarted the launcher to see if the message would go away, and it came up before I could start the game. I closed everything again but didn't reboot, restarted Steam and the launcher again, and everything looked normal. So it seems to be coming up with much greater frequency than it ever did before, but it doesn't come up every single time for me. I haven't tried again yet this afternoon to see whether it comes up or not.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Linked below we have some troubleshooting that can help with this specific error message.

What do I do if I get an error "Unable to determine current version" when trying to launch The Elder Scrolls Online?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post