The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Unplayable lag, desync, disconnects, nothing working PC NA 8:30am EST, servers melting down again

EdmondDontes
EdmondDontes
✭✭✭✭✭
38 minutes into scheduled guild raid today guild lead had to call off raid. Nothing is working. All the usual failures that have been posted about 10,000 or more times already.

This feels like ZOS is trying to kill cyrodiil.
Edited by EdmondDontes on February 12, 2022 4:55PM
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have to give us something in the meantime while they're fixing the servers. The lag gets exponentially worse each month. It feels like the servers are going to completely fall apart by the summer.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telling us we are expected to sit quietly when they've been giving us the same story of "We're working on it" for a fifth year straight is a slap to the face.

The PvP update message they posted in the general forums essentially says "Shut up and play a different game if you don't like it". Where have we heard that before?
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    I say remove anything that is unnecessary lag in Cyrodil until it is "fixed", like the hammer and gate mechanics for example. Neither would be missed.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlakMarket wrote: »
    I say remove anything that is unnecessary lag in Cyrodil until it is "fixed", like the hammer and gate mechanics for example. Neither would be missed.

The hammer really needs to go. We were helping some guy who grabbed it, obviously for the first time, but he was doing ok... then he hit the Ulti by mistake... wham, it disconnected half our group and it blasted us all the way back to Vivec City, only to have to stand in the 50+ player queue to get back in Cyro again. Thats one powerful ultimate I have to say!
  • DirtyWizard
    DirtyWizard
    ✭✭
    Cyrodiil performance has been on a steady downward trend for essentially the entire lifespan of the game. I am surprised people still find the time to write out threads like this. Cyrodiil is not where they make their money, and at the end of the day, that is what determines what gets done.

Performance in Cyrodiil will *never* improve. For the sake of your mental health, accept that. Then, you can either enjoy the game as is, or quit.

• xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing on PS4 NA. It's just so unreliable and I don't understand it. There's no excuse for the servers to be this bad. Skills not working, can't swap bars, can't pop a potion when I need to, random freezes in big fights, glitches in big fights, being stuck in combat when there is 0 combat, struggling to get into a keep when it's under attack because the first time it doesn't register, lol. It's just all a mess and I wish they would figure out a fix already
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »
    Same thing on PS4 NA. It's just so unreliable and I don't understand it. There's no excuse for the servers to be this bad. Skills not working, can't swap bars, can't pop a potion when I need to, random freezes in big fights, glitches in big fights, being stuck in combat when there is 0 combat, struggling to get into a keep when it's under attack because the first time it doesn't register, lol. It's just all a mess and I wish they would figure out a fix already

There is no quick fix, their core engines were only ever fit for purpose for PVE. It was discussed to death when the game launched, and has proven so. Nothing has changed and nothing will until they invest massively which they 'say' they are doing over the next year or 2. If you like PVP the best thing that can happen to the game is that you take a break over this period to motivate them.
    Edited by _adhyffbjjjf12 on March 5, 2022 12:36PM
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭

There is no quick fix, their core engines were only ever fit for purpose for PVE. It was discussed to death when the game launched, and has proven so. Nothing has changed and nothing will until they invest massively which they 'say' they are doing over the next year or 2. If you like PVP the best thing that can happen to the game is that you take a break over this period to motivate them.

Which is really hard because sometimes you have those really great nights where everything is working smoothly, but then the bad starts to outweigh those good nights like recently.
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    Most of us have gotten use to it at this point, if you are able to land an attack successfully be proud. My favorite is when 2 players are within a small area running around trying and filing to target each other. Very fun.

If they do fix it I think alot of people will be nostalgic for these days. "Remember when we couldn't use skills or dodge or block or sprint?" "Good times."
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else lagging extremely bad after this last maintenance? I'm freezing all over the place.
  • blxdes
    blxdes
    ✭✭✭
    How about instead of fixing it, they stop making it worse. That would be a good start.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blxdes wrote: »
    How about instead of fixing it, they stop making it worse. That would be a good start.

do you mean like:
    1). adding the hammer to trash alliance balance even worse?
    2). messing with the ayleid well bonus when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place?
    3). putting cyrodiil dolmens on some kind of activation rotation?
    4). doing everything possible to have keep walls repair as quickly as possible to eliminate defensive D-tic leeching?
    5). insisting on keeping "weather" coding in an environment which already has trouble rendering as you move through it?

yes, where zos places its resource emphasis (as meager as it might be) within cyrodiil is definitely odd...
    Edited by geonsocal on March 15, 2022 3:10AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they haven't brought the servers down to see what's happening. I gave up after a dozen of disconnects every time I wanted to port to a new instance, and waiting if things get better tomorrow.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I'm surprised they haven't brought the servers down to see what's happening. I gave up after a dozen of disconnects every time I wanted to port to a new instance, and waiting if things get better tomorrow.

Agreed. I think if they offered to shut down PvP servers for a month to see what needs to be fixed then that would be a step in the right direction
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even when they keep dropping the max pop it somehow gets worse, it's almost amazing how bad it's gotten.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. I think if they offered to shut down PvP servers for a month to see what needs to be fixed then that would be a step in the right direction

You think they'd ever turn PvP back on if they shut it down? Don't you think this is the path ZOS is on already?

Honestly, I don't thing PvP in this game has more than another year or two of life. Not because the players don't love it when it works, but because ZOS has decided they are not going to do the things that it takes to support it. Unfortunately ZOS is saying one thing while doing another, by all appearances anyway. They give us nothing in terms of proof of progress or effort and just expect us to believe them despite their 5 year plus track record of not delivering on their "We're working on it" statements.
    Edited by EdmondDontes on March 16, 2022 1:53AM
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭

You think they'd ever turn PvP back on if they shut it down? Don't you think this is the path ZOS is on already?

Honestly, I don't thing PvP in this game has more than another year or two of life. Not because the players don't love it when it works, but because ZOS has decided they are not going to do the things that it takes to support it. Unfortunately ZOS is saying one thing while doing another, by all appearances anyway. They give us nothing in terms of proof of progress or effort and just expect us to believe them despite their 5 year plus track record of not delivering on their "We're working on it" statements.

Honestly, I can't answer that. I think in my gut I know these guys don't care about PvP because like it's been stated in the past on here, it's not a money maker for them like it is PvE. I'm in a few PvP only guilds and so many of us have either gone back to PvE only popping in once a week to see how Cyro is going. I myself have been finding more enjoyment in just farming resources/mats, trials and etc rather than stress myself out with BG's and Cyro. It's sad because PvP could be amazing in this game, they just don't care and it clearly shows
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    Can barely and jabs, have managed to miss all 4 crescent sweeps from point blank range. Pathetic
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kordai wrote: »
    Can barely and jabs, have managed to miss all 4 crescent sweeps from point blank range. Pathetic

Last night was pretty rough. Skills not going off or if they did it took a few seconds for them to go off, couldn't pop potions, swap bars when you needed to, just gets so frustrating
  • jasonleitch1_ESO
    jasonleitch1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Update 33 seems to have broken something with lag. I play a speed CC/Evil Hunter build (bow/bow). This update has now incorporated a very noticeable and significant pause after using my Silver Shards spammable. The pause appears to be nearly as long as the ability animation. Silver Shards fires (double sound?) then literally just stops (almost like a stop code) and pauses (reloading?) for 0.5 - 1 second. The pause length seems tied directly to the amount of lag. It just feels so very, very bad...Unplayable.

Adding to this frustration, my bow attacks now get "stuck" in the firing animation very often (every few seconds after the update), forcing me to move away from the location and attempt to bar swap to fix the issue. Bar swapping seems to correct the issue, although I then get rapid fire attacks until the server seems to catch up.

This issue appears only in Cyrodiil (tested inside my house and found no issues) and gets progressively worse with lag. Also, this behavior did NOT exist prior to Update 33. My only recourse has been to cancel my subscription as my character literally cannot be played correctly with the current changes made regarding the lag.
    PC/NA: Pentar Stonedrake (mag sorc) - Undefined (technically my main)
    PC/NA: Pentora Stonedrake (stam sorc) - Death Huntress (NB hunter / speed build)
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now I sometimes stutter step instead of dodge-rolling. And no it's not just the animation.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can actually see the server implode after anyone takes the hammer out from behind a gate the entire server converges on the thing and its almost like we'll its time to watch YouTube until this thing despawns so I can somewhat do anything
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    Servers meting down again. Can't dodge roll, can't heal, can't attack, can't move, can only spam light attacks which fail to hit the person right in front f me.
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kordai wrote: »
    Servers meting down again. Can't dodge roll, can't heal, can't attack, can't move, can only spam light attacks which fail to hit the person right in front f me.

This is happening even when the maps aren't poplocked again. It was pretty good for those two days where no one could log in and do dungeons. Cyrodiil was poplocked for all three factions in Greyhost and we could barely feel any lag. Now that things are 'fixed' it seems we're back to the same old issues as before.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    The lag simply kills all the joy of playing in Cyrodiil. My wife and I are just repeating the same cycle of coming back to the game every MYM with new builds, and getting more and more frustrated/bored over the course of a month until we stop playing altogether. This is our 3rd time around and the MYM experience was laggier yet less active than ever. Frankly I'm not even sure we'd bother again unless there's major performance improvements or a fun new bombing combo. It's a real shame because this would probably be our only game if it was actually playable.
  • Hospitler
    Hospitler
    ✭✭
    Same on Xbox NA server. Load screens and lag are so terrible it’s unplayable at times. You almost think ZOS are newbies at maiiing games because they don’t know how to fix anything.