Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Group weapon damage buffs / buff sets

fred4
fred4
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
During a 4-man dungeon PUG my weapon damage got buffed by +1600. How did this happen?

My character was a stam DK DD that provided Major and Minor Brutality itself. My self-buffed weapon damage was 6400 with those buffs active. During group play this first rose to 7200 and, at it's peak, to 8000. I know, because I kept an eye on it via the Greyskull addon. What armor sets might the other group members have been wearing or what buffs were they running that caused this?

I queried a guild member about group damage buff sets (that a tank might wear) and he suggested Yolnakriin and Powerful Assault. Is that all it takes? Those sets only yield 289 and 215 weapon damage at blue quality (looking at stickerbook) respectively. Do scaling factors really ramp this up to 800 each? If so, what scaling factors? Major Brutality (+20%) and Minor Brutality (+10%) can't really account for that, can they? Even medium armor only adds another 14% at most.

Furthermore the bonuses from those sets are temporary buffs. There was one fight where the rest of the group died. I completed the fight on my own which took something like 2 minutes, e.g. way longer than the 10 to 15 second buff duration of those sets. Yet I retained 8K peak weapon damage throughout the fight. How was that possible? Does this indicate different sets (or buffs) were involved or is this a bug whereby temporary buffs persist indefinitely after the death of a player?

By the way, the group was a PUG, but appeared to be a pre-made aside from me, who were all around the CP300 mark. Aside from dying in that particular fight, they did well. I had the impression they came from another MMO and had studied up on the meta, thus were likely wearing coordinated sets. On the other hand I'm wondering what sets they might have obtained by CP300. Trial sets would technically be possible, of course.
PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • aurelius_fx
    aurelius_fx
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of those sets add to your total weapon damage pool and therefore get scaled bundled up together by buffs. (i.e min/maj brutality, berserk from healing staff, armor passives, etc). I'm assuming that happens because the same happens on opposite effects, like on sets that decrease weapon/spell damage.

Sets like Olorime, SPC and Powerful Assault can have a 100% uptime as well
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get some weapon/spell damage buff by going to the dungeon through finder instead of travelling. Not sure if it got fixed though. Some years ago it was just showing you get the bonus, but doesnt reflect to your actual damage.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think some of those sets add to your total weapon damage pool and therefore get scaled bundled up together by buffs. (i.e min/maj brutality, berserk from healing staff, armor passives, etc).
    I knew someone would say something like this. Let's parse it:

Number one: Berserk ups your damage. It does not up your weapon damage parameter, which I was monitoring specifically. Please, let's not get confused and make some blanket statement like "there are a lot of buffs that all add up". Let's be specific.

Number two: Basic algebra. Yes, characters have a lot of base and self-buffed weapon damage. However:

a = weapon damage scaling factors (Major / Minor Brutality and medium armor buff)
    b = your own weapon damage, excluding multiplicative buffs
    c = weapon damage contributed by buffs and buff sets from other players

I'll paraphrase what you are saying, which is that c may result in a large contribution, because a * (b + c) is large. However:

a * (b + c) = a*b + a*c

In other words, from algebra we know that the additional contribution of c only scales with a. It has nothing to do with the fact that I have a lot of base weapon damage b. In order for a weapon damage contribution of 200 to 300 from those sets to scale to 800, you would need a scaling factor of 250% to 400%. Whichever way you slice it, Major / Minor Brutality plus the medium armor bonus does not add up to that.
    Sets like Olorime, SPC and Powerful Assault can have a 100% uptime as well
    Major Courage is more like it, but would still require a scaling factor of almost 100% to get to 800. How? This is also a unique non-stackable buff. What's the other one?

As regards to the uptime, that's why I brought up that the group died. How could there be 100% uptime with the rest of the group all dead?
    Edited by fred4 on March 24, 2022 5:00PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    You get some weapon/spell damage buff by going to the dungeon through finder instead of travelling. Not sure if it got fixed though. Some years ago it was just showing you get the bonus, but doesnt reflect to your actual damage.

Yeah this seems to be the case, at least what appears on combat metrics, since every screenshot I have of a 4 player group finder pug tends to have a lot more weapon damage that what I would see in premade trial groups.
  • aurelius_fx
    aurelius_fx
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I think some of those sets add to your total weapon damage pool and therefore get scaled bundled up together by buffs. (i.e min/maj brutality, berserk from healing staff, armor passives, etc).
    I knew someone would say something like this. Let's parse it:

YES! and i was also hoping someone would show up to clarify, lol. you could also add up fighters guild passives, minor courage from Magma/Crusader? if berserk doesn't adds up then slayer shouldn't as well. It's either something exclusive to dungeons glitch or the percentages adding up in a weird way on top of each other with the additive values. (or both)

Major Courage
    Increases Weapon Damage and Spell Damage by 430

Minor Courage
    Increases Weapon Damage and Spell Damage by 215

Powerful Assault
    (5 items) When you cast an Assault ability while in combat, you and up to 5 group members within 10 meters gain 307 Weapon and Spell Damage for 10 seconds.

that's already almost 1k without adding any of scaling percentages. i think only in-game testing would tell but i certainly don't find much of a stretch for these values to be achieved. You also mentioned that you were looking at those sets from blue quality stickerbook, that could weight a bit, too. You could also factor in multiple people using said sets (?) to achieve even more uptime, but it all also sounds rather vague

Edited by aurelius_fx on March 24, 2022 5:46PM