The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Max Health calculation

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hi All ,

Specific question about health calculation.
How is it really calculated ?!?

I understand that + 1454 health from trainee set for instance gives +1454 health (obviously)

I do also know that health attribute points give extra health.

But how do other things relate to extra health?
I notice for instance that wearing heavy armor instead of light gives extra health !? Is armor equal to health? Is +1000 armor the same as + 1000 health?

Are there other things such as resistances or gear or other stuff that influence health such as armor ?

I am not talking about passives !
Lets say there are no passives at all , what influences then health besides … well … health

Best Answers

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Outside of passives, food, attributes, set bonuses, and enchantments are just about the only ways to affect max health. Minor toughness if you want to count that.
    Answer ✓
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is technically true for any armor, heavy armor just has the highest base armor value that it grants

and also be aware the armor effective cap is 33,000 (50% maximum mitigation)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Answer ✓
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heavy armor only gives extra health because its built into the passives

i think by default most heavy armor usually drops with +max hp enchantments too (which is another source of hp excluding the passives, but you can put hp enchants on any size gear)

+armor stats only grant bonuses to your armor, and the only relation they have to hp is that you take less dmg when an enemy hits you

im not entirely sure if this answers your question, but basically health is only influenced by bonuses directly to health if you are excluding passives, heavy armor gives you more health BECAUSE of the passives
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Ok , but sometimes when i add a heavy instead of a light , then i can see an increase of 2 k health …
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    Ok , but sometimes when i add a heavy instead of a light , then i can see an increase of 2 k health …

that is straight up due to the heavy armor passives

juggernaut passive for heavy armor is +2% max hp per piece of heavy armor, a heavy armor chest piece that has a health enchant on it is going to add 800-1000 max hp for the enchant (depending on infused trait), and the passive armor bonus would add like another 600 (at 30k max hp, more if your hp is higher)

between the enchant and the armor passive, that is almost 2k health difference

most light armor default enchant is +max mag, but you can still put max hp on it if you wanted (max hp enchant on a "large" armor piece is 800-1000 (chest, pants, helm), "small" armor pieces have half the enchant value (gloves, boots, belt, shoulder), so the enchant value is the same regardless of it being heavy, medium, or light)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks

So The extra armor of heavy armor is not adding health , however it does add 1% mitigation to damage taken per 660 value right ?

Thanks all