The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ESO will not download it says 0.kilobytes per second. Why?

KibbleNuce
Hi, I recently downloaded ESO on my macbook and tried downloading it in the launcher and it just says loading 0.kilobytes per second. I am not sure why this is so I was wondering if you guys could give any suggestions? Help?

Thanks(Screenshot below)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    KibbleNuce wrote: »
    Hi, I recently downloaded ESO on my macbook and tried downloading it in the launcher and it just says loading 0.kilobytes per second. I am not sure why this is so I was wondering if you guys could give any suggestions? Help?

Thanks(Screenshot below)
    Initially it creates temporary folder/ files which it uses for the actual download, which is why there is no actual download at that stage. Once they are created it should start the download proper. It will also do this when Repairing and verifying and will do so for the three main components of the install during the installation/ verify.

If it is stuck at that stage for more than say 10 minutes (depends on HD etc.) try quitting and relaunching.

If it still seems to stall can you post your OS X version, HD/SSD free disk space and also what type of connection you are using i.e. wifi or ethernet, private house or college etc. And any other things you have tried to resolve this.
  • murphdon92
    I am having the same problem as well. Im running macbook pro OSX 10.8.5 with 8GB memory and over 600 GB of storage space left. im also using a college wifi so im not sure if thats the problem. Ive tried deleting and redownloading the launcher plenty of times, but the download just gets stuck at 8% everytime and then closes. if anyone knows anything how to fix this that be great since i spent 80 bucks on this game.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    murphdon92 wrote: »
    I am having the same problem as well. Im running macbook pro OSX 10.8.5 with 8GB memory and over 600 GB of storage space left. im also using a college wifi so im not sure if thats the problem. Ive tried deleting and redownloading the launcher plenty of times, but the download just gets stuck at 8% everytime and then closes. if anyone knows anything how to fix this that be great since i spent 80 bucks on this game.
    It is most likely to be the college network I'm afraid. Best to contact the college tech support staff and ask them about ESO support for ports etc.

Otherwise try to connect via another network like phone or other location and see if it is the same, or see if any others have the problem.

Otherwise generally I would suggest to reboot router and Mac relaunch and try again.

Try running a traceroute via Network Utility to;

/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Network Utility.app

launcher.bethesda.net

See if it can connect properly to the patch servers.

These are general Network issue potential fixes which you may want to try if this doesn't help. Do each one at a time and test each time.

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt. Then try. or reboot then try.

Uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery

- Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    - Open up Network in System Preferences. (Usually located in the third row, third icon.)
    - Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    - Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner
    - From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    - In the "Select a protocol to configure" list
    - Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery”

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Reset DNCP lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.

Good luck.
  • murphdon92
    Moonraker wrote: »
    It is most likely to be the college network I'm afraid. Best to contact the college tech support staff and ask them about ESO support for ports etc.

Otherwise try to connect via another network like phone or other location and see if it is the same, or see if any others have the problem.

Otherwise generally I would suggest to reboot router and Mac relaunch and try again.

Try running a traceroute via Network Utility to;

/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Network Utility.app

launcher.bethesda.net

See if it can connect properly to the patch servers.

These are general Network issue potential fixes which you may want to try if this doesn't help. Do each one at a time and test each time.

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt. Then try. or reboot then try.

Uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery

- Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    - Open up Network in System Preferences. (Usually located in the third row, third icon.)
    - Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    - Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner
    - From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    - In the "Select a protocol to configure" list
    - Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery”

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Reset DNCP lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.

Good luck.

I did the trace route u said and after line 1 all i got was asterisks, i had the fire wall disabled already as well. auto proxy was already unchecked, i did the terminal code thing as well. so far nothing i clicked the launcher and its pretty much stuck in the updating now because i deleted it again and restarted my comp. i even changed the DNS settings, and it still only go stars on the route. i guess its the network im using, i may try again at one of my friends house otherwise im not sure wut is wrong.....support couldnt even really help me out. would appreciate any other solutions anyone has.
  • murphdon92
    Update just finished, now its trying to create the download i guess.....
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably. It initially creates the temporary folders/ files then should start the actual download over network.

If it's a NA install they are in the actual Launcher which you can see if you Right Click > Show Package Contents on Launcher.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 30, 2014 6:26PM
  • murphdon92
    Probably. It initially creates the temporary folders/ files then should start the actual download over network.

If it's a NA install they are in the actual Launcher which you can see if you Right Click > Show Package Contents on Launcher.

Well the download started its still at 8% again even though it says downloading and sometimes the kb/s changes, also at the beginning it said http request failed....im not sure if its because it cant find the server or if its just my college wifi. .....it just crashed again as well.
    Edited by murphdon92 on April 30, 2014 6:40PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭

Well the download started its still at 8% again even though it says downloading and sometimes the kb/s changes, also at the beginning it said http request failed....im not sure if its because it cant find the server or if its just my college wifi. .....it just crashed again as well.
    The error http request failed indicates it's a network issue and something is blocking the data i.e. the network router or firewall which again points to your college network. I suggest to contact them and pose the question, preferably with some details of the game and what you are having problems with.
  • murphdon92
    OK well ill get in contact with the tech team, but im going to try it at a friends house, if that doesnt work then its gota be the launcher....but i mean ive heard on other forum posts some other people are having similar issues with college networks.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK well ill get in contact with the tech team, but im going to try it at a friends house, if that doesnt work then its gota be the launcher....but i mean ive heard on other forum posts some other people are having similar issues with college networks.
    Best thing to try is at another location first as it removes the college network stuff. If it still doesn't work there try the suggestions posted above.