The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Curated drops screwing up RNG once full sticker book?

Rittings
Rittings
✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, so a friend wanted help farming Frostbite weapons. My sticker book for Blackwood is 100% complete. So, I therefore believed that all drops from Public Dungeon bosses would be available to me. So I should have a chance at hands, shoulders or weapons from bosses in Silent Halls and Zenithar Abbey… this isn’t the case I’m experiencing. I’m getting 100% shoulder piece drops. 21 boss loots, 21 shoulders of Blackwood sets.

As I stated, I have 100% full sticker book for Blackwood…. But it seems the coding isn’t rng anymore… something is overriding the rng.
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that there is a factor beyond RNG for the drops after curation that might be worth looking into. I've experienced the same thing when running dungeons or overland to help someone fill their sticker book, but it only occurs when my book is complete for that set.
    Many multiples of runs of the same armor item 4+ times in a row. In dungeons, the last boss it seems to be weighted towards jewelry over weapons.
    No examples so extreme as your 21, but it's happened enough separate instances that there is something wrong with the RNG seed or calculation or whatever is happening on the back end for curated armor drops.

On another note, for this situation it may just be easier for your friend to buy the missing set pieces on traders and reconstruct.
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn’t it only dungeon, trial and arena bosses that are curated? I didn’t think that overland sets were changed from how they were before but I could be mistaken. I don’t recall how much of the Frostbite set I’ve collected (it’s possible I have all of it) and also got mostly shoulders and one other piece while farming a boss in Zenithar Abbey.

It doesn’t seem right that you got only shoulders from bosses in both public dungeons though. 🤔
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 27, 2022 5:00PM
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn’t it only dungeon, trial and arena bosses that are curated? I didn’t think that overland sets were changed from how they were before but I could be mistaken. I don’t recall how much of the Frostbite set I’ve collected (it’s possible I have all of it) and also got mostly shoulders and one other piece while farming a boss in Zenithar Abbey.

It doesn’t seem right that you got only shoulders from bosses in both public dungeons though. 🤔
    Overland sets are curated at WB, delve bosses and public dungeons.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, once a zone stickerbook is complete the PDs just drop shoulders for me.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stickerbook for Blackwood is complete and went to test in Zenithar's Abbey. 2 drops so far and both hand pieces. It's nothing definitive, but the experience of receiving only shoulders isn't 100% among all players. I'll farm more bosses to see if I can at least get a weapon to drop.

There may be something fishy here, but it would be a bit more complex than the initial assumption.

Edit: 5 drops now, 3 hands, 1 shoulder and 1 weapon. I'm not able to reproduce the issue myself so there may be other factors involved. If there is anything you can think of that you might be doing differently to see a streak of 21 items, please let us know.
    Edited by redspecter23 on February 27, 2022 6:57PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still mostly get drops I already have, so it is not all that Curated to begin with.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I took a quick look at this thread while running through a public dungeon, and while I didn't get only shoulders, an unusually high amount of the drops I got were.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I still mostly get drops I already have, so it is not all that Curated to begin with.

Not necessarily the case. If you have everything that boss can drop them you will get duplicates. So if doingna dungeon and you have all the armour pieces you will get duplicates as the the bosses only drop body pieces until you get to the final boss who drops weapons and jewellery.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    I took a quick look at this thread while running through a public dungeon, and while I didn't get only shoulders, an unusually high amount of the drops I got were.

/Sits at the edge of his seat...
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    CP5 wrote: »

/Sits at the edge of his seat...

What did he looted? What did he found? Or was it something more than a simple loot? You will find out soon in the next episode of...
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uh, didn't realize there was suspense, but given that public dungeon bosses can drop shoulders, hands, or weapons, and weapons I would imagine be a huge section of the drops, from about 12ish drops at least 8 were shoulders, 4 from the same set. Just felt funny going to decon things after having just saw this thread and noticed the trend myself.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LurgidBean wrote: »
    In dungeons, the last boss it seems to be weighted towards jewelry over weapons.

This bit is a good thing. Jewelry is significantly more expensive to reconstruct than weapons (because of upgrade materials to get to purple).
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    In dungeons, the last boss it seems to be weighted towards jewelry over weapons.

This bit is a good thing. Jewelry is significantly more expensive to reconstruct than weapons (because of upgrade materials to get to purple).

For some players, in respect to material upgrade costs, yes. I see that benefit.
    For those who are trying to fill the stickerbook to reduce transmute costs, to experiment with builds (the purpose of the stickerbook) or just reconstruct in correct traits, no. You get one curated drop for weapons on the last boss. If you're farming you're likely only looking for the weapons since jewelry drops are prioritized you probably have those filled.
    Example- When I was farming Hiti's I brought guildies with me who had already filled that dungeon, so they could share any drops without sacrificing their own stickerbook. I was hoping for multiple weapon drops so I could remove their drop chance from my pool, and increase the chances of the frost staff. I wasn't tracking it, but we ran 15+ times over the course of two days, and a majority of the time, they had jewelry drops at the last boss. The weapons that were traded to me came from chests a poorly estimated 70% of the time.
    If the drops were actually random from the pool of uncollected items, you'd have a significantly higher chance of getting weapons since there are so many more items to collect per set than jewels. 13 weapon types from each of 3 sets vs 2 jewelry types from 3 sets. I'm sure this was adjusted for and the jewelry drop preference is intended behavior, but it could be overtuned. And from other examples in this thread, it might not all be working as intended.
    Xbox NA/EU
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For some players, in respect to material upgrade costs, yes. I see that benefit.
    For those who are trying to fill the stickerbook to reduce transmute costs, to experiment with builds (the purpose of the stickerbook) or just reconstruct in correct traits, no. You get one curated drop for weapons on the last boss. If you're farming you're likely only looking for the weapons since jewelry drops are prioritized you probably have those filled.
    Example- When I was farming Hiti's I brought guildies with me who had already filled that dungeon, so they could share any drops without sacrificing their own stickerbook. I was hoping for multiple weapon drops so I could remove their drop chance from my pool, and increase the chances of the frost staff. I wasn't tracking it, but we ran 15+ times over the course of two days, and a majority of the time, they had jewelry drops at the last boss. The weapons that were traded to me came from chests a poorly estimated 70% of the time.
    If the drops were actually random from the pool of uncollected items, you'd have a significantly higher chance of getting weapons since there are so many more items to collect per set than jewels. 13 weapon types from each of 3 sets vs 2 jewelry types from 3 sets. I'm sure this was adjusted for and the jewelry drop preference is intended behavior, but it could be overtuned. And from other examples in this thread, it might not all be working as intended.

You have to keep in mind when ZOS uses the word "random" they use a very different meaning than we would think. It's possible it's a 50/50 chance between jewelry and weapons, then after that roll, it rolls for a particular type or maybe it rolls subtypes next as has been seen previously, which makes bows and restoration staves much more common. dual wield, destruction staves and two handers then tend to be more rare. As we don't know exactly how that roll works, we can only speculate.
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    As we don't know exactly how that roll works, we can only speculate.

Yes. Could have prefaced all of that with "I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, and this is my singular, console, ancedotal experience playing the game in regards to this specific forum issue, and this is how I feel about the experiences I've had in-game, with relation to the subject I'm responding to." Which was, it being a good thing that jewelry drops are more plentiful than weapons in this system.

I'm not being facetious either. Gave you an insightful.
    Xbox NA/EU
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so did another 20 public dungeon bosses in Blackwood - got 15 shoulders, 2 hands and 3 weapons. That doesn't seem like RNG to me - that seems like something is off.

I am going around all the bosses, so not just kiling the same boss on repeat either. I can't figure it out - but it's deifnitely an issue going forward if you're out of transmutes and farming "old school" for the correct traited weapon.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    Okay, so did another 20 public dungeon bosses in Blackwood - got 15 shoulders, 2 hands and 3 weapons. That doesn't seem like RNG to me - that seems like something is off.

I am going around all the bosses, so not just kiling the same boss on repeat either. I can't figure it out - but it's deifnitely an issue going forward if you're out of transmutes and farming "old school" for the correct traited weapon.

Which bosses were dropping the weapons?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if i remember right, weapon drop rates for public dungeon bosses were very low prior to curation, the drop rate on weapons was higher from WBs
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if i remember right, weapon drop rates for public dungeon bosses were very low prior to curation, the drop rate on weapons was higher from WBs

No. Curated drops guarantees you weapons if it’s all you need…. Seems it’s very low afterwards… like… so low it’s broken feeling.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. The world bosses were the best source of weapons.

36giiv4rrnty.jpg

Public dungeon bosses are better farmed for the armor rather than weapon pieces. The chests inside are more likely to give you weapons than the bosses in my experience. However it is weird that they haven't gotten any hand pieces.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on March 14, 2022 9:55PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Curated drops guarantees you weapons if it’s all you need…. Seems it’s very low afterwards… like… so low it’s broken feeling.

i was referencing personal experience of the drops prior to curation

ive spent an afternoon farming public dungeon before, vast majority of my drops were not weapons but shoulders and gloves (some days i would have like 20 drops before getting a weapon)

at least with curation you dont have to worry about that anymore and can at least fill out your collection to recreate
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014