The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Increase Penetration?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello!

Outside of the Mundus Stone The Lover, the Sharpened Trait and the Piercing CP points, what is the best way to increase Penetration.
For a Templar? Running a 2h weapon.
Sword and Shield has piece which is awesome!

Thoughts?

Tanks,

Z
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor, set pieces, armor reduction debuffs that act as a pseudo penetration, abilities that ignore resistances or cause you to ignore resistances like Corrosive Armor, and weapon passives that ignore resistances like on destruction staff.

Edit: For my MagDK I run Balorgh for a massive injection of penetration after using an ultimate.
    Edited by Vevvev on February 23, 2022 1:37AM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what is best, but you can consider:
    - Maces/Mauls weapon type
    - Sets like Spriggans or Stuhn's Favor
    - Wood Elf race (not recommended)
    - Skills that reduce enemy armor like Power of the Light
    - Wearing some pieces of Light Armor
    - Infused Crusher enchanted weapon
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a stamplar when in PvP where penetration is most essential

- razor caltrops
    - power of the light
    - maul
    - all divines gear and lover

Adding a piece of light and using the undaunted passive would add more but I've not found the needed

For PvE though you don't need anything like the same amount of penetration, especially in organized groups so I also have a 2H sword and switch mundus between penetration and crit chance depending on the content. Generally 5K is plenty for PvE, even solo if you have caltrops or similar. Maelstrom a little bit more does help.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a stamplar when in PvP where penetration is most essential

- razor caltrops
    - power of the light
    - maul
    - all divines gear and lover

Adding a piece of light and using the undaunted passive would add more but I've not found the needed

For PvE though you don't need anything like the same amount of penetration, especially in organized groups so I also have a 2H sword and switch mundus between penetration and crit chance depending on the content. Generally 5K is plenty for PvE, even solo if you have caltrops or similar. Maelstrom a little bit more does help.

Hey @etchedpixels TANKS!
    Totally forgot about mauls!!! And caltrops - never used them...tells you how much I play pvp...

will power of the light and razor caltrops pen stack?
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭
    Two hand Maul with sharpened trait, and five pieces of Heartland Conquerer (doubles weapon trait.)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exeter411 wrote: »
    Two hand Maul with sharpened trait, and five pieces of Heartland Conquerer (doubles weapon trait.)

Heartland Conq is a weak set. The 5pc bonus can only give 3276 Pen, while Spriggan's and Spinners both give 3460. The 2-4 piece bonuses on Heartland are also weak, with one line of Magicka and one of Stamina instead of two of the primary resource (like Sprig and Spin). It is basically the Twice Born Star equivalent for weapon traits, a good idea ruined by hybrid bonuses and a 5pc that is too weak to overcome the low stats.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    will power of the light and razor caltrops pen stack?

razor caltrops is major breach
    power of the might is minor breach

In ESO major and minor debuffs stack with each other but not themselves (so you can't double the effect by stabbing them with a sword/board and using caltrops)

razor caltrops is not just a PvP skill - it is really useful for solo dungeon running.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Spriggans on stamina characters.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can run Stuhns on a templar pretty nicely. It pairs well with the templar gap closer.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello!

Outside of the Mundus Stone The Lover, the Sharpened Trait and the Piercing CP points, what is the best way to increase Penetration.

Thoughts?

Tanks,

Z

2H weapon run a maul for 3300 more pen and run nirhorn over sharpen to maximize your damage build. Or if you find you need additional pen I would run DW with the main hand weapon having nihorn and the offhand using sharpen.

You can run spinner/spriggan sets for added pen or run two offensive gear sets with pen on them. Debuff such as Power or Light and Caltrop to reduce the enemy resistance which is similar to raising your pen.

• Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭

Heartland Conq is a weak set. The 5pc bonus can only give 3276 Pen, while Spriggan's and Spinners both give 3460. The 2-4 piece bonuses on Heartland are also weak, with one line of Magicka and one of Stamina instead of two of the primary resource (like Sprig and Spin). It is basically the Twice Born Star equivalent for weapon traits, a good idea ruined by hybrid bonuses and a 5pc that is too weak to overcome the low stats.

I prefer hybrid builds, rather than trying to min/max, so I favr crafted sets over drop sets. With that approach I can tune my build to fit my playstyle.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer hybrid builds, rather than trying to min/max, so I favr crafted sets over drop sets. With that approach I can tune my build to fit my playstyle.

If I am after pen and can damage an off balance enemy I would go for Stun. This set provides the biggest amount of pen available in the game it totals in at 6800.
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭

If I am after pen and can damage an off balance enemy I would go for Stun. This set provides the biggest amount of pen available in the game it totals in at 6800.

Yeah, I used Stuhn's for awhile. It was very nice in PVE, but in PVP I had trouble using it to it's full potential.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I used Stuhn's for awhile. It was very nice in PVE, but in PVP I had trouble using it to it's full potential.

Stuhn works great with a Warden using Cutting Dive or Templar using Toppling Charge. I'm not sure about other classes.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is a decent set for a Templar?

I moved to a Maul with Sharpened and the Lover mundus stone - now I am up to 7k pen.
    Now I am able to scratch opponents, and playing No CP I managed to wrack of a kill or two.

Have been using Caltrops as well...but running Pariah - 30K resistance. Willing to sacrifice protection for some damage now as I still die really fast. Or should I get more portections

Thought which set to use?

Tanks,

Z
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the not dying fast is more about learning to use skills / shields and also get out of the way.

Also if you are using jabs you may find some of the 2H skills more useful. The cleave based skills give you a damage shield, and stampede works well, when it works (gap closers are still buggy in PvP 2 years on), plus ways to get people off balanced if using Stuhns. Jabs has the problem of being channelled and providing the lag isn't too bad quite easy to get out of before the final strikes hit.

And you can boost penetration by making more gear divines as well as maybe wearing one small light piece if you have the light armour passives.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Light armor, set pieces, armor reduction debuffs that act as a pseudo penetration, abilities that ignore resistances or cause you to ignore resistances like Corrosive Armor, and weapon passives that ignore resistances like on destruction staff.

Edit: For my MagDK I run Balorgh for a massive injection of penetration after using an ultimate.

i dislike the passives like the destro one

it is not explained well, but it does not "ignore 10% of the target armor" but instead its actual effect is that it "increases your penetration by 10%"

mace/maul bonus worked the same way before they were changed to be a fixed +pen amount

the only one that works correctly in that description is the corrosive armor
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on March 1, 2022 9:31PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make friends with a good tank. Penetration issues solved. :smiley:
  • Bitter_Apple21
    :)

That brought a smile.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello!

Thoughts?

Tanks,

Z

2 light 5 medium. + Cp = 2500.

If you can keep stam resource up
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @francesinhalover cp 2500...I have a ways to go!!!!

Which pieces or armor do you run?

Tanks again!
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @francesinhalover cp 2500...I have a ways to go!!!!

Which pieces or armor do you run?

Tanks again!

Cp 20 point passive gives 700 pen.
    Edited by francesinhalover on March 13, 2022 6:25PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!