The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Confessions of a Tank: I just don't block much.

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
Heh....even got a full set of Yolnahkriin....but it's a rare day I actually block anything besides the obviously telegraphed incoming hits. Is it just me? Is there a better set to use as armor since I just don't block much? Thanks.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First off, yolnahkriin activates on taunt, not block, so it's fine to stay using that.
    What content are you running? In general, if mob attacks aren't doing enough damage to hurt and aren't applying cc, then it's fine not to be blocking (and it will help you maintain stamina). However, there are definitely bosses in the game that can one shot a non blocking tank with light attacks , so what you're doing now will not work everywhere.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh drats....not Yoln, Galenwe. And usually just running normal dungeons and trials for now. Thank you!
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galenwe is mostly useful when running with Werewolf light attack build dps in a dungeon in which case you want to block just to keep it firing.

Yolna would be a far better set if you don't block much and there are then a bunch of sets you can pair with it to give people resources and other boosts if you don't need a selfish set (worms being an obvious one).
    Too many toons not enough time
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leeching Plate for taking damage
    Mighty Glacier with cc's
    Drake's Rush with bash
    Yolna with taunt
    Vrol's with heavy attack
    Crimson Oath with something that applies a Major buff, like Igneous Shield/Weapons, Chains, etc
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all...my Yoln works well...it's just the Galenwe that I'm must not using as much as I should be. Might take that Leeching Plate for a spin :)
  • Bitter_Apple21
    @DigiAngel

Hello, curious (as I am learning to tank and working to understand stats and gear), when you say you do not block much, what are you stats in things like health, armor, etc?

I've worked from base dungeons to vet dungeons to base DLCs and moving into vet DLCs. When you mentioned that you are running normal dungeons and trials for now, are you lumping base dungeons and DLC dungeons together when you say that?

I am curious since I am considering trying some trials, but without a guild, the only ones that I think I can try are the Craglorn ones. Curious about how "damaging" the hits can be there, how similar they are to either DLCs or vet base dungeons, etc, and if I am ready for them.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Thanks all...my Yoln works well...it's just the Galenwe that I'm must not using as much as I should be. Might take that Leeching Plate for a spin :)

Leeching is a great dungeon set. Crimson Twilight is its cousin. Minor differences between the two, such as activation time, cooldown, and poison vs. bleed, but they are basically the same set after Crimson got nerfed. I've also run both sets at the same time for fun.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am curious since I am considering trying some trials, but without a guild, the only ones that I think I can try are the Craglorn ones. Curious about how "damaging" the hits can be there, how similar they are to either DLCs or vet base dungeons, etc, and if I am ready for them.

Craglorn trials on normal are no worse than a DLC dungeon. There are some mechanics that matter but they are not that complicated and you'll pick them up pretty fast. Some of the DLC ones like Sunspire are also pretty easy on normal (vet is a whole different story). Sunspire generally has much better gear too.

They are much much easier on voice chat of some form (listen only is fine) with a raid leader calling the shots and explaining/reminding on mechanics as they go.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Bitter_Apple21
    @etchedpixels

Thanks. Gives a boost of confidence.

Yes, I am getting the strong indications that I need to install this "Discord" thing on the computer for trials.

• pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not blocking a lot is actually the better way to play a tank. Block what you need, eat hits that you can. This makes stamina sustain a lot smoother. Galenwe is a bit of a niche set. In your described case it doesn't do much for you or your group.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are very few fights you need to be blocking the majority of the time, usually just some of the newer trials. Your mitigation and health should help you survive just about anything that isn't a heavy or a mechanic without blocking. There is an abundance of healing in this game, so blocking anything that isn't likely to kill you is often a waste of stamina.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Heh....even got a full set of Yolnahkriin....but it's a rare day I actually block anything besides the obviously telegraphed incoming hits. Is it just me? Is there a better set to use as armor since I just don't block much? Thanks.

I run Yolnahkriin and Brands of Imperium; it allows me to still give the group two types of buff. A shield and minor courage. This doesn't include all the debuff and other buffs I provided from being a DK Tank.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have heavy health regen build (9k) for vet dungeons, so i Meditate most of the fights xd.
    Don't need healer at all.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Brands is what I'll be going with ...thanks all!