Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Confused about update 33

Kinvesu
Kinvesu
So I had a question. I can't use a bow on a necro, sorc or templar. I just can't justify those types of fantasy classes using a bow. Just a stupid personal thing I guess. So I was wondering, in this next update, will we be able to use a staff as a ranged option on stamina builds and it do just as much damage as a stamina weapon?

I know about the resource gain and stuff from heavy attacks and that I won't be able to spam opposite resource attacks. I would just like to use a staff as a ranged option for when I can't be in melee.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    since most abilities will scale with your highest resource pool, it should be pretty feasible to do this if you wanted to run a staff as a back bar for ranged dmg (or in support of your front bar with a maelstrom staff back bar)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are definite opportunities for running 2H or dual wield plus staff in U33. How well it all works out in practice remains to be seen.

You can spam opposite resource attacks if your build is balanced properly. For a PvE endgame build the 64 in stamina or magicka (it's still broken for true hybrids in U33) determines which pool you use to scale damage. T|he resource regeneration rate determines what you can actually spam over a boss fight. (PvP is all about burst and very different)

If you have enough resource regeneration then you can most definitely mix it up properly. Ice staff also gives you a damage shield and magicka block option. Restro as back bar gives you access to a lot of healing power - and because the scaling has changed you'll now heal like a mag toon (this is probably also very very broken for balance)

The torc of tonal constancy might actually be interesting too because it'll be much easier to keep both pools below 50% when boss bashing (wall, swap, 2h 2h 2h 2h, etc) and get the 450 regens whereas on the existing combo build (sword&board plus ice staff) because it's a tank you never want to be below 50% in the first place.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Kinvesu
    Kinvesu
    Awesome. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Gives me a lot to think about.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wall of Elements will probably be the only skill you need—it procs your backbar enchant even if you switch bars, like Volley does. If you have the Maelstrom destruction staff and are good at light attack weaving, this would actually add a lot of damage. Some stam players have tested this on the live server and found it's not that bad (but not BiS), so it'd definitely be better with hybrid skill scaling.

Depends partly on what content you're trying to do, and what your goals are.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner